Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Birthday Party WWYD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490071)

UnderTheStars 02-08-2013 04:12 PM

Birthday Party WWYD

My daughter is turning 5 next week. We didn't really plan a party, but she said she really wanted to go to a local pizza place that has a huge play area for kids. I'm totally fine with that, but I'm not sure how to handle our family... I am ok paying for DH and I and the kids as a splurge for DD's birthday request, but this place is pretty pricey for us (plus there is an admission charge for the play area) so we cannot afford to pay for food for anyone else.

EVERYONE keeps asking us if we are having a party for her and seem really put off when we've said no. I know they all want to see her and celebrate with us, but I really want to honor DD's request (especially since a couple weeks ago when I asked what she wanted for her birthday, she said "It doesn't matter, I'm just excited to see what I get!" :wub:). So how would you handle this? I can't just not say anything because DD has a big 'ole mouth and will absolutely talk about it...plus I DO want them to be there, but I know it's totally tacky to say "Hey, we're having a get together at XYZ but you have to pay for your own food!" I'm just not sure how to handle it.

megenic 02-08-2013 04:14 PM

I would just have your family at the pizza place, then maybe the next weekend have a get together at your house for everyone else. Do it from 2-4 then you don't have to serve a meal, just some snacks. Put up some balloons and streamers and voila - its a party!

junebug2311 02-08-2013 05:02 PM

I agree with pp.

JennTheMomma 02-08-2013 05:03 PM

Re: Birthday Party WWYD

I would either say yes you can come but I cannot afford to pay for everyone's pizza. Or set up something else with the family and just you and your family go to the pizza place.

Heather8183 02-08-2013 05:07 PM

I would just tell them all DD wanted was to the pizza place, and kind of make a disappointed face and say, "I just know that I won't be able to afford to pay for everyone to go"

TalkinBoutMyGirl 02-08-2013 05:11 PM

They are family so I'd just admit its not a formal party but that L wanted to go play and eat pizza. They are welcome to join if they want but you won't be paying for everyone since its just a casual thing. They should understand.

jemanly02 02-08-2013 05:14 PM

Are you talking about Happy Joe's? If so, yes, that place is expensive (but oh so yummy, I go crazy eating taco pizza every time I am home). I'd also just do it as a family, and have a small get together for everyone else.

UnderTheStars 02-08-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather8183 (Post 16266464)
I would just tell them all DD wanted was to the pizza place, and kind of make a disappointed face and say, "I just know that I won't be able to afford to pay for everyone to go"

This is what I did today for my mom - she said she was coming anyhow, so that's good! My inlaws will probably will probably get their panties in a bunch but I guess I will work harder on my sad pouty face... I don't want to host a party at our house, at all, which is the whole reason why we didn't plan a party to begin with. Even the smallest gatherings end up being so much work and stress for me. :blush:

UnderTheStars 02-08-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemanly02 (Post 16266479)
Are you talking about Happy Joe's? If so, yes, that place is expensive (but oh so yummy, I go crazy eating taco pizza every time I am home). I'd also just do it as a family, and have a small get together for everyone else.

YES! Their taco pizza is ah-mazing! But sheesh, paying for 20 people there would be about $150.

Where are you from? :goodvibes:

luvsviola 02-08-2013 11:30 PM

I would have your family go for pizza, and invite everyone else over for cake and ice cream on Sunday afternoon.