Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Birth Stories and Announcements (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   2VBA2C (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490104)

NikkiGig 02-08-2013 06:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Background: I've had two previous csections followed by a wonderful vba2c at home in the water. Four months after my home birth I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and six months after that we found out we were pregnant with number four! I debated another home birth, but ultimately decided that because of the new diabetes diagnoses we felt more comfortable with a hospital birth. Unfortunately, there are very few providers in our area that were willing to take me on because of my many risk factors and desire to have a vaginal birth.

Because of the diabetes my doctor scheduled a csection for my due date for 1.14.13. I told them to go ahead, but I wouldnt guarantee that I would be showing for the appointment. I had anticipated going into labor before then because my last two babies came at 36 and 38 weeks, but my due date came and we decided to cancel the csection to give me more time and go in for an NST instead since it was the day I would typically have one done anyways. Despite baby looking great on the NST/BPP the doctor I saw told me that I was being selfish because inevitably I was going to force them to deliver a stillborn baby since I didn't want a csection that day.

The following Thursday we had to go back for another NST since I'd been getting them twice weekly since 32 weeks. Soon after being strapped to the monitors I had a long contraction and baby had a bad decel. To the point that doctors and nurses flooded the room prepping for csection until suddenly he stabilized again. Since contractions seemed to have started up we decided to allow them to admit us. We were pretty shaken up at that point and didn't want to risk taking the pregnancy any further. After 6 hours in triage I was finally given a room in labor and delivery only to find that while I was having contractions they weren't doing much to dilate my cervix, I was still at the 3/4cm I had been for weeks.

At about 9:30pm a doctor finally comes in to talk about our options and the first words out of her mouth are "So I understand that the goal today is to have a vaginal birth even if it results in a stillborn baby?" She didn't offer much advice, other than to get the epidural so that when I have a csection they don't have to knock me out. She checked my cervix, which was still the same, and left. A while later another doctor came in to discuss breaking my water, but she was horrible at the cervix check she tried to do and so I requested that they send another doctor in to actually break my water. I was told that doctor had two csections to do and would then be in to see me. 1:30am rolls around and the doctor finally comes in and breaks my water. Very soon after that I start getting strong contractions. They intensified quickly and I am needing my mom and doula to rub my back and remind me to keep vocalizing in low moans while my husband was making sure I got plenty of water.

At some point my doula speculates to someone that she thinks I'm in transition already. When she said that I thought "Oh yeah this is getting a lot like transition". The contractions were so close and so long and I was starting to feel like I was crazy for doing this again. I kept asking how baby was doing and everyone in the room would call out the next five or so readings on the heart rate monitor. At this point the doctor comes in to check me again and says I am 5cm. That was a little discouraging because it felt like I should have been further along. I'm laying on my side clutching my moms hand to my chest and stomach for the next few contractions and suddenly I blurt out that I feel pushy and my mom agrees that she can feel me bearing down. My doula warns me that if I push too soon it will swell my cervix, but I'm having a hard time holding back. The nurse rushes back in and asks to check me again. This time I'm complete on one side and a 7 on the other. We flip me onto the side that is a 7 and after a few contractions like that I'm seriously grunting and bearing down. The nurse check again quickly and tells the doula to push the call button because baby is coming!

Everyone rushes in to get ready and mercifully the contractions stopped for a moment while this was happening and allowed me to regroup. When everyone is ready to catch I wait on the next contraction and push with everything I've got because it makes the contraction feel more tolerable. After a couple of pushes they ask if I can pull my legs back and although I am trying to comply, I just can't make my body react. My mom notices and grabs my leg back for me on one side and the nurse follows with the other side. At this point it's only another big push or so and Finnley Evan is born at 5:09am 1.18.13, just about 3 and a half hours after they broke my water. The doctor holds him up and asks where I wanted him so I pulled my gown off and asked for him to be placed on my chest, all 10lbs 21 in of him!

cobbermama 02-08-2013 06:41 PM

Awe :) Congrats mama!


ETA: Just read your edit; what a bunch of icky medical personnel! Sorry you had to deal with that.

NikkiGig 02-08-2013 06:46 PM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
Sorry it got cut off, edited to add the rest :)

Zoethink 02-08-2013 07:44 PM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
I am so impressed with your courage in the face of such horrible medical personnel!! Congratulations!!

frogerella 02-09-2013 02:01 PM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
You go mama!

FernHollow 02-09-2013 02:06 PM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
Congrats mama on the birth of your sweet baby boy and your 2VBA2C! I am so proud that you stood your ground and gave birth to a 10lb baby despite their nonsense. You are a strong lady! I have had 2HBACs and I totally understand the fight it can be to get the birth you want. I had wonderful midwives, but dealt with a TERRIBLE doctor when I was planning my first HBAC. He kept trying to schedule me for a c/s at 37 weeks and claimed my placenta was too old already and baby would be too small. I had a nice healthy 8lber at home at 41 weeks ;) I bet that doctor felt like an idiot after you gave birth to that big healthy baby with no problems :giggle2:

Queensasha17 02-09-2013 02:06 PM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
wow this is an amazing story! thanks for sharing mama!

Mama_K 02-09-2013 02:58 PM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
That's a big boy! Congratulations :)

songbird516 02-10-2013 08:33 AM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
Thanks for sharing; you were so strong in the face of the negativity around you!

thekuligs 02-10-2013 08:51 AM

Re: 2VBA2C
 
YAY!!

Man some doctors suck.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors