Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help! One side not producing well! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490164)

bamababies 02-08-2013 11:38 PM

Help! One side not producing well!

I have had oversupply untill recently when I got a cold and my milk supply dropped (only on my left side). I beefed up on my oatmeal and water intake and it seemed to bounce back some, then last week AF paid a visit and now it seems to have dwindled on that side again. I know its low b/c it hurts when my DS nurses for more than 5 minutes (plus he gets mad and starts fussing and yanking...ouch), I can't pump more than 1.5 ounces (I was pumping 3-4 ounces at a time), and DS gets hungry faster when he nurses from that side. I have tried pumping more, eating more oatmeal and granola, drinking more water and recently have been drinking a cup of mother's milk tea, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I do seem to have a great supply first thing each morning and then nothing the rest of the rest of the day. I never had this problem with my last baby. :cry: Any suggestions??

tibeca 02-09-2013 07:28 AM

Re: Help! One side not producing well!

You can try nursing on that side first each time. Baby will likely get frustrated, but every bit of stimulation helps. Switch to the "good" side as soon as baby begins to fuss.

Chrissie312 02-09-2013 09:58 PM

I second nursing on that side first each time. I definitely have a better side too, and I think it's pretty common/normal. You could also try pumping from that side in between feelings to keep stimulating it to make more.

spcjoneswifey 02-09-2013 11:28 PM

I third the letting him nurse from that side to begin with and then switch him over. Also (though it'll be kinda time consuming) after he is done nursing try pumping again for 5-10 minutes so that every time he nurses that side is getting stimulated to produce.

amomma 02-09-2013 11:37 PM

One side may just produce more. I've always been 'lopsided' and now that my lo is 15 months, she will only nurse on the one side and the other has completely dried up. I was always concerned about it but every one always told me that it was normal and not to worry. I've had it with both kids now, but it was more extreme with my younger one. I did notice that it would get a little better if I was consistent with water, oatmeal, tea, and pumping that side after nursing...but I got lazy and realized that the other side was making enough (and then some!) for her so I stopped trying so hard. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try what the others have mentioned, but if it doesn't work don't stress too much. :)

spcjoneswifey 02-09-2013 11:56 PM

I have read before that double sided nursing is a real western concept and that in a lot of cultures its very normal for a baby to nurse mostly from one breast. I do notice that my right breast always produces better and is favored over my left. Don't stress too much :)

TheCoach'sWife 02-13-2013 07:38 PM

I have the same problem right now. I'm considering buying two bras and sewing them together, a right side F/left side D. and just rolling with it. lol.

Let me know if you happen to be a left side F/right side D, :)

Shimpie 02-13-2013 07:53 PM

I had this problem too. I kept pumping extra on my left to try to keep the supply going. Eventually dd gave up nursing on my left side around 6 or 7 months. I've been lopsided ever since, but there's never been an issue with dd getting enough to nurse. To balance things out, I slip a chicken cutlet bra insert in my bra if I'm wearing something form fitting.

solobluedancer 02-13-2013 08:24 PM

When my son nursed it was always from the left. I gave up on the right side and just went with it.

birdinhand 02-13-2013 10:08 PM

Most women produce more milk in their left breast -- my theory is the majority of us are right-handed and often we put our babies on the left breast if we are wanting to do anything while nursing -- talking on the phone, eating, writing, etc.

Have you ever had mastitis in the low-producing breast? That can also impair output.