Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My insurance now pays for breastpumps... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490182)

MandaMommy2 02-09-2013 06:10 AM

My insurance now pays for breastpumps...

So I've been hounding my insurance company about an electric breast pump for a while and I was told that they are now covered. However there is a catch...the pump must come from a durable medical equipment supplier and none in my area carry them or are willing to order one for me. I'm very frustrated that I'm so close, but that I've hit a new road block. My hospital grade pump is due back on the 14th so I was really looking forward to having my own pump that I could keep and that would be more portable. I live in Western New York. Any suggestions? Thank you.

keen1981 02-09-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandaMommy2
So I've been hounding my insurance company about an electric breast pump for a while and I was told that they are now covered. However there is a catch...the pump must come from a durable medical equipment supplier and none in my area carry them or are willing to order one for me. I'm very frustrated that I'm so close, but that I've hit a new road block. My hospital grade pump is due back on the 14th so I was really looking forward to having my own pump that I could keep and that would be more portable. I live in Western New York. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Ask the insurance company for a supplier? Or call a hospital and ask?

shortcake2386 02-09-2013 06:22 AM

Www.edgepark.com

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MandaMommy2 02-09-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981

Ask the insurance company for a supplier? Or call a hospital and ask?

The insurance company gave me a list of five suppliers, but none of them carry breast pumps. I also called the hospital, but they didn't know either. Everybody just says go buy one at Target. If I had $250 I would, but I don't so here I am. I was hoping to find an out of state place that does shipping and accepts nys Medicaid. I can scrape together money for shipping, but a few hundred dollars is not something we can swing right now.

MandaMommy2 02-09-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386
Www.edgepark.com

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out now.

MandaMommy2 02-09-2013 08:29 AM

Edgepark doesn't think that my insurance is accepted by them usually, but they are going to try. I have Medicaid, but its an option plan through Blue Cross and Blue Shield so it might be okay. So far they have been the most helpful yet. Even if it doesn't go through at least they tried to help me. I also found an a place called Apria, but they aren't open till Monday so I'm just going to have to wait. I can't believe that my insurance company doesn't have a list of who supplies breast pumps in my area. If I can't find anyplace I'm going to have to ask about being reimbursed for purchasing myself. I could put it on the credit card if I knew that we would get the money back.

shortcake2386 02-09-2013 08:50 AM

Re: My insurance now pays for breastpumps...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 (Post 16268303)
Edgepark doesn't think that my insurance is accepted by them usually, but they are going to try. I have Medicaid, but its an option plan through Blue Cross and Blue Shield so it might be okay. So far they have been the most helpful yet. Even if it doesn't go through at least they tried to help me. I also found an a place called Apria, but they aren't open till Monday so I'm just going to have to wait. I can't believe that my insurance company doesn't have a list of who supplies breast pumps in my area. If I can't find anyplace I'm going to have to ask about being reimbursed for purchasing myself. I could put it on the credit card if I knew that we would get the money back.

i got mine through edgepark under dd;s insurance(medical necessity). if i got it through my insurance i would go through apria but there may or may not be a 20% copay. (different story depending on who i talk to lol). but dd has medicaid(wellcare) and edgepark overnighted the pump to me:thumbsup: they are super nice and helpful

MandaMommy2 02-09-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386

i got mine through edgepark under dd;s insurance(medical necessity). if i got it through my insurance i would go through apria but there may or may not be a 20% copay. (different story depending on who i talk to lol). but dd has medicaid(wellcare) and edgepark overnighted the pump to me:thumbsup: they are super nice and helpful

My daughter has the same insurance as me. But maybe if they won't do it under mine they can do it under hers. The insurance had been paying for the Medela symphony rental that I have because my daughter was born early and had a poor latch so she wasn't gaining well in the beginning. I gave edgepark the pediatricians information so hopefully they can work something out. And yes they were so nice. I was refreshing to have a positive customer service experience from a total stranger. I feel like lately the world has one big wedgie lol.

MandaMommy2 02-13-2013 05:32 AM

Well I found a place in Rochester that is going to be able to fill my script starting next week. Its called Southside Medical Supply. My hospital grade pump has to go back today though:( I have to pump twice a day to keep my supply up when LO sleeps more than four hours at night so hopefully a hand pump will do for a week. I can't wait to get my new pump! I hope they get the Medela PIS so all of my spare parts and accessories will fit.