Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Cursive Writing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490205)

knittingk 02-09-2013 08:33 AM

Cursive Writing

At what age or grade level do you typically start cursive writing and discontinue practice on printing? I am thinking my 1st grader will be ready to start next year and want to be prepared. thanks

tallanvor 02-09-2013 08:37 AM

Re: Cursive Writing

2nd grade because that's when they've been interested, so far.

ifyousaygo 02-09-2013 08:50 AM

dd is in 2nd grade and they just started learning. She's really excited about it. :)

abunchoflemons 02-09-2013 09:14 AM

our schools i think are 3rd or 4th grade. i dont homeschool but just know each state is different. i would try when thy want to.

foggierbard9 02-09-2013 09:17 AM

We are going to start with DS next year, so 1st grade but with our other children we are just going to start with cursive instead of switching them from d'nealian to cursive.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-09-2013 10:58 AM

I'm thinking we are going to wait till 3rd grade. I think anytime between 2-4th is typical though some start earlier or start with it. We are waiting because I think he needs more practice printing before moving to cursive. If he had really good penmanship now and I felt he was ready to move on, I'd start in 2nd.

LAF512 02-09-2013 11:25 AM

My dd wanted to learn cursive when she was in 1st so that is when we started. She was already a really good printer at that point. I don't think my ds will be ready in 1st though because he isn't very good at printing yet so he needs more practice with that first before I throw something else at him!

my2sweets 02-09-2013 11:31 AM

1st grade so 5 for my girls. They practice curvise but there are times I let them chose to write in crusive or print. I want them to know how to write in crusive but I mostly want them to just have neat handwriting-wether they chose mainly print or cursive when theyre older- so I encourage them to practice both :goodvibes:

7mom7 02-09-2013 04:32 PM

Many of our public schools aren't teaching cursive anymore. My husband and I both print. I suspect we'll teach cursive in 1st grade but I agree with PP, I don't really care if they use it or not.

R055ANA 02-09-2013 06:51 PM

Good question!

I haven't started teaching my girls cursive yet and my ODD is 12 yrs old!! The reason why I am not doing much w/ cursive is because I feel like it isn't too popular. Most of the time we are typing on computers (this society that is), and when we write most people tend to print. My girls can make out the letters if it is written in cursive but really this doesn't come up too often. If my DDs start expressing an interest in cursive I will start but for now I am not planning on doing much on cursive.

It is an exciting subject for some children because it makes them feel more grown up to learn to write that way.