Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "I'm too tired" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490214)

Mama*Kim 02-09-2013 09:26 AM

"I'm too tired"

DS1 (5 yo) goes through phases of being "too tired" to do anything and it makes me crazy. This morning he wanted a toy that was about 5 steps away and tried to get his brother (2 yo) to get it for him. He was getting irritated that DS2 couldn't find it. I told him he should grab it himself because his brother didn't even know what it was. He told me he was too tired to go get it himself. I told him that if he was too tired to grab a toy 5 steps away that maybe he needed to go back to bed.

"Too tired" is his excuse for everything lately and I don't know what to do about it. He can't eat dinner because he's too tired. He can't tidy his room because he's too tired. It's just an excuse, because 30 seconds later, something interests him and he's off playing. Yesterday, I offered him lunch and he turned it down. Then it was time to tidy his room and he said he couldn't do it because I hadn't fed him so he didn't have energy.

If I hear that he's "too tired" to do anything again today, I'm going to lose my ever loving mind! I think my new plan of attack is going to be sending him to bed every time he's "tired". I don't know what else to do and I'm so sick of the attitude that goes along with it.

Mommyto2B2G 02-09-2013 09:35 AM

Re: "I'm too tired"

One of mine went through this phase. When he was too tired was brought up I immediately took away what he wanted and said "oh, ok none of this then since your too tired." and I'd tell him to go take a nap. Sometimes there would be a tantrum but I'd act oblivious to it. Eventually... 15 mins later or so he'd come sauntering out of his room saying he was better but wouldn't be allowed to do anything else before the first task was finished.

Now with the food thing I'd tell him he can eat or nap. If he was too tired to clean better nap, eat then clean and you have no other choices. I just stayed calm and acted very serious like oh you must really be tired, lets sleep! That always bugged him. lol I just wouldn't let him get away with anything. He eventually got tired of it and wasn't getting any help or attention for it so he stopped. Honestly, to me it sounds like your doing what I did. It does go away... I promise!

sillymama 02-09-2013 09:37 AM

My four year old says this too. I tell her if she is too tired she can go to bed. Usually she changes her min about being too tired. When it comes to getting a toy then thats just tough luck. I think by 5 you could tell your LO that if he says that he will have to sit or lay in his bed for 10 minutes.

leyash 02-09-2013 10:34 AM

my 4 year old (5 next month) goes through the same thing. when he gets bored, he's "tired." when he doesn't want to clean, he's "tired," when he doesn't want to eat anymore, he's "tired."

it drives me bonkers, to say the least.

P!nkPepper 02-09-2013 02:46 PM

My 4 year old says the same thing. He doesn't get his way though. I still insist he do as I asked.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

~Laura~ 02-09-2013 03:35 PM

My kids had that phase. When they said that they were tired, they were made to take a nap for at least 5 minutes. Once in a while they'd fall asleep, probably from boredom, but most of the time they'd come back out and be 'refreshed'. I try to keep natural consequence, to being tired means you nap and being bored means you get assigned chores/something to do.

jbug_4 02-09-2013 04:20 PM

DD is 5 and doing this right now too. I just tell her if she is that tired she needs to go to bed. She usually stops complaining and does whatever she is suppose to do. If she is suppose to be cleaning her room is the only time she will actually get into bed, but she can't come out of her room until its cleaned so she doesn't stay in bed too long before she realizes "to tired" isn't getting her out of cleaning her room.

megenic 02-09-2013 04:47 PM

Anytime I hear "I'm tired" or "I'm sick" (3 year old does this one all the time) I just say in a bored voice "then go lie down I'm bed and have a rest." I generally immediately hear "no, I'm
Not tired." it works great for us!

jbug_4 02-09-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 16270006)
Anytime I hear "I'm tired" or "I'm sick" (3 year old does this one all the time) I just say in a bored voice "then go lie down I'm bed and have a rest." I generally immediately hear "no, I'm
Not tired." it works great for us!

:giggle2: funny how that works isn't it?

cbreeding 02-10-2013 04:44 PM

My DD, 5, went through this phase.

It went on for a while until we had a planned trip to the zoo. Before leaving to go to the zoo, the kids were told to pick up the living room. DD just sat on the floor saying, "I'm too tired." while the younger two picked up all the toys.

When it was time to go, DH got the two younger ones ready, and I stayed home with DD. Oh, the royal fit she threw because she didn't get to go. My response, "You said you were too tired to pick up, therefore you are too tired to go to the zoo." Her response, "I'm not too tired to go to the zoo, just to pick up toys." I chuckled on the inside, but we only had one more incident of being too tired and her not going to go someplace for the phase to end. That is until the 3yo pick it up:)