Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   s/o If you used donated breastmilk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490268)

mcpforever 02-09-2013 12:36 PM

s/o If you used donated breastmilk

How did you do it?

Were you SAH/on maternity leave at the time? WOH? Was it mailed to you? Did you drive to meet the donor? How far/how much time? How often? How long did you continue to receive it?

Was it fresh or frozen?

How was your donor screened? By you or a company? If you did it personally, what did you find out and how did you verify it?

And whereabouts (what part of the country and rural or urban) did you live when you were doing this?

I've never done it myself and have only read about how it's supposed to work, but I'd like to hear real stories from real people. We're supposed to go for someone else's breastmilk before resorting to formula and I want to know how easy it really is to procure.

JennTheMomma 02-09-2013 02:07 PM

Re: s/o If you used donated breastmilk

I used donor milk before. I went through Milkshare to find a donor and I picked up the milk usually at their house or meet somewhere. My MIL picked up milk a few times for us too. Most of the donors we used were screened by their Doctors and provided the paperwork, otherwise we could give a small vile to our local clinic and for $20 they would do the screening for us and have the results in a few hours.

To answer the other questions, I'm a WAHM, we live in a small town but our donors were usually from a large city, it was always frozen, and the farthest I drove was 2 hours (but we were going there anyways, so wasn't out of our way).

JustSomeChickVee 02-09-2013 02:42 PM

I was only able to get donor milk once. The mama that donated to my son had given birth a few weeks prior and had a big oversupply. she gave me some extra that she had pumped during her oversupply.

How did you do it? My midwife contacted me and told me a mama of hers had some extra milk. I had been trying to find donor milk via Human Milk 4 Human Babies, Eats on Feets and Milkshare with no luck.

Were you SAH/on maternity leave at the time? WOH? Was it mailed to you? Did you drive to meet the donor? How far/how much time? How often? How long did you continue to receive it? I was, and am still, a SAHM. The mama gave her milk to my midwife, who I met up with at her home, about 30 minutes from mine. I was only able to receive donor milk once.

Was it fresh or frozen? Frozen

How was your donor screened? By you or a company? If you did it personally, what did you find out and how did you verify it? I met her through our midwife, who of course did the blood tests during pregnancy. I was not concerned that her milk was dangerous in any way.

And whereabouts (what part of the country and rural or urban) did you live when you were doing this? South Florida, urban.

I've never done it myself and have only read about how it's supposed to work, but I'd like to hear real stories from real people. We're supposed to go for someone else's breastmilk before resorting to formula and I want to know how easy it really is to procure. In my experience, it is NOT easy to procure.

Green Decals 02-09-2013 03:05 PM

How did you do it? I used milk from 7 different women for my second baby. Some were close friends, some I met through milkshare, and one I found on here (local to me). One I also found through my lactation consultant. I had 2 long-term donors who I supplied with bottles and the others I always asked what kind of bags they preferred and gave them boxes of storage bags when they gave me milk. I was always generous in the bags, not just replacing what they gave me but making sure they knew how much I appreciated their hard work. I also gifted toys and such to their kids. I supplied one of my donors with a pump, she also WOH and needed it for her own baby, plus she was supplying milk for mine. She is also a personal friend. I tried to go above and beyond - donor milk was such a gift to us, my baby never had to have formula. I worked really hard to get my supply up and was successful in nursing for 2.5 years, but donor milk through an SNS was such a blessing!

Were you SAH/on maternity leave at the time? WOH? Was it mailed to you? Did you drive to meet the donor? How far/how much time? How often? How long did you continue to receive it? I WOH and always met in person, I drove as far as an hour 1-way, and usually got milk about once a month. We acquired it for the first year and used it up until 18 months maybe?

Was it fresh or frozen? Usually frozen, but I did get some fresh on occasion.

How was your donor screened? By you or a company? If you did it personally, what did you find out and how did you verify it? My personal friends I know their lifestyles, and the other donors, I asked. If I had any doubt I wouldn't take milk from them, and I declined milk from 2 potential donors because I had a couple concerns about lifestyle.

And whereabouts (what part of the country and rural or urban) did you live when you were doing this? Northeast, rural

ETA: It is not as easy to procure as one might want it to be, but if you are committed to only using human milk, I fully believe it can be done as I did it, and I am not near a huge city or in a large population. So many women dump a freezer stash because it is going to "expire" (milk doesn't expire! Storage guidelines are guidelines, not expiration dates!) or they simply don't know that other people would use it. Some women think that they have to go through milk banks in order to donate. Even well educated LCs will tell you that the risk of transmitting disease through milk is extremely low, even HIV/AIDS. Of more concern is the nutritional value and how well nourished a donor is.