Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Alva vs. Diaper Rite (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490401)

shan1212 02-09-2013 09:43 PM

Alva vs. Diaper Rite

My stash is all Diaper Rite, and after hearing that they were suspected to be rebranded Alvas, I decided to order some Alvas to see for myself.

I realize this post is worthless without pics, but I am too tired tonight. I'll update tomorrow with some.

The Alvas are significantly larger. The square part of the wing (if that's what it's called?) is about one cm taller on the Alva. The smallest rise setting is equivalent to the middle rise setting on the DR. The DR has tighter leg elastic.

I got all prints, so I don't know if that makes a difference, but the Alvas have a stickier-feeling, thicker texture. They also appear to be a little wider in the crotch.

I don't know if just the series that I ordered (mostly J series), but they are obviously NOT cut from the same cloth, so to speak. Are they made in the same factory? I have no way of knowing. The cut is extremely similar, just the Alvas are larger. And the snap placement is different, though that's obvious just from looking at the websites.

Has anyone else compared both? Or compared either with Diaper Safari pockets?

I just prepped them so I'll test them out on my 11 month old and take some pics tomorrow.

Oh, and there was no invoice or customs slip on the packaging so I can't comment on that. There was a little customs slip taped to the outside but it was blank - nothing was checked. There did appear to be something that had torn off, so maybe that was it.

dncnshu00 02-09-2013 10:12 PM

I have both Alva and Diaper Safari. IMO they are identical. Same size, same cut, same snaps, I even have the same color. They are so identical, in fact, that I have to check the tag to tell them apart. I'll see if I can post pics tomorrow from my computer.

Namiko 02-09-2013 10:17 PM

Re: Alva vs. Diaper Rite

definitely interested in seeing the pics!

jaelynsmommy61607 02-09-2013 10:56 PM

Alvas are rebranded and sold under different names.

RockinLou 02-10-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dncnshu00
I have both Alva and Diaper Safari. IMO they are identical. Same size, same cut, same snaps, I even have the same color. They are so identical, in fact, that I have to check the tag to tell them apart. I'll see if I can post pics tomorrow from my computer.

I would definitely be curious to see these!

shan1212 02-10-2013 01:38 PM

Hmmm, the Alvas did seem to shrink a lot in the wash . . . so they are looking even more identical now.

mommadeeof4+ 02-10-2013 06:35 PM

the alvas i have were purchased directly from alva and they are very different from my diaper rites, size, material, colors, snap placement and overall quality are different and i like diaper rite much better...they definitely look similar but there are so many obvious differences.

Nerissa 02-10-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dncnshu00 (Post 16270875)

Diaper rite and diaper safari are different brands. But all three are very similar in style. Very simple cloth diapers.

AZmommy 02-10-2013 08:56 PM

diaper safari has come on here and addressed this question dirrectly.

rainbowgirl28 02-11-2013 12:44 AM

Alva is not the only company in China that makes cloth diapers which other companies can and do rebrand. I am 99% sure that Diaper Safari covers are from Happy Flute (the pictures are identical) but I don't have a direct comparison yet because HF is a giant PIA to deal with directly.

I don't have any DS pockets, so I can't compare there.

I would buy again from DS in a heartbeat, they are selling at incredibly reasonable prices, super fast FREE shipping, and they have great customer service.

I don't have any Diaper Rite pockets, but they are also selling them at reasonable prices, so who cares if they are Alvas or Happy Flutes or some other Chinese company. You pay more to get fast shipping from a US company with great customer service.