Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why are yeast infections so common? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490415)

alyxmegan 02-09-2013 10:27 PM

Why are yeast infections so common?

I have seen a lot of post about yeast infections and I am wondering if that is due to cd or if it happens to all babies. Also how to prevent yeast from happening and how to get rid of it.

trulyprecious 02-09-2013 10:35 PM

Re: Why are yeast infections so common?

We have only experienced it once in four years and two kiddos and that is when DS#1 was given antibiotics. It showed up in less than 24 hours even though I changed each soiled diapers a.s.a.p. I gave DS warm baths with vinegar and used antifungal cream on his bottom. Also washed his CDs with 70 drops of Grapeseed Extract for three weeks (10 days while on meds and for a while after). His rash cleared up within three days!

qsefthuko 02-09-2013 10:41 PM

Over use of antibiotics, Poor diet, lower immune system. Repeat infections because of symptomatic treatment. Because it is simply beaten back but not gone a flare up happens when the immune system is again compromised.

Successful treatment is up for debate. A healthy diet low in processed foods, sweets, and no antibiotics helps.

The dr insisted on my dd having preventive IV antibiotics because I had not been tested for STDs. Needless to say within days of discharge she developed a severe yeast infection. We had her in sposies from day one.

fluffycheeks 02-09-2013 10:41 PM

I don't think it has to do with cloth. I really just think some kids (and adults) are prone to them and some aren't.

qsefthuko 02-09-2013 10:44 PM

With cloth the yeast needs to be killed in the diaper as well. With sposies the yeast is trashed.

MomBecks 02-09-2013 10:45 PM

I know all babies get yeast infections sometimes, but in my 12 years of CDing none of mine have. I think a lot of it is your natural chemical make-up. Some people just have more yeast in their bodies, but diet can really help. Using more breathable covers can help as well as disinfecting diapers.

Leah52 02-09-2013 10:49 PM

My first baby was the only who ever had yeast and she never wore cloth.

ktmelody 02-09-2013 11:28 PM

We have never had it here either. Over 8 years in cloth and 15 years with kids in diapers and we have never had it.

My first had thrush right after she was born but it was passed to her from me during delivery. It was cleared in 3 days.

~*~Sunflower~*~ 02-09-2013 11:55 PM

I have 6 children & only my ds ever had issues. He was a sickly baby & a bath with baking soda always cleared it up. None of my girls has ever had yeast!

RockinLou 02-10-2013 12:38 AM

DS only gets them on antibiotics, which has been twice, both due to ear infections because his eustacian tube in his right ear is underdeveloped (as were mine and my brothers when we were kids). DD had them more often, but we now know that she had a compromised immune system, she had a bacterial form of tuberculosis, so she was so busy fighting that off she had no good defense against the yeast.

Both eat a healthy diet, eat yogurt every day, and take probiotics when on medications. When they are 100% healthy, they don't get them.

I think you hear about them a lot here because the diapers need to be disinfected, and it's a lot of work. I love cloth diapers, I have used them for years, but the day I suspect maybe yeast is coming, everything gets bleach and I use disposables, it's just easiest for me that way.