Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Surprise yourself? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490443)

crunchyNurseMommy 02-10-2013 12:41 AM

Surprise yourself?

What have you learned through your cloth diapering experience about yourself & your preferences?

Thought it would be fun to hear everyone's take on that question :)

For me, I always thought more was better but found out I prefer a stream line stash, otherwise I get overwhelmed.

At first the idea of flats seemed such a time consuming process & I didn't like them. But now I am so attracted to how easy they wash & dry & customizable they are.

I love the idea of a AIO system but the reality for me, is that they didn't work. They either leaked or had stink issues. I prefer AI2.

And, I don't mind diaper laundry. I'll put away all the diapers before I fold any other clothes & definitely before I even think of cleaning the bathroom or dusting! Lol!

What about you?

Sarah-B 02-10-2013 12:56 AM

I am the same way. It is funny that u say that because We did sposies today and tomorrow and are stripping all out diapers right now and will go through about 100 diapers tomorrow and pick our favs & sell the rest on FSOT soon because a huge stash is RIDICULOUSLY OVERWHELMING!! To the point I have almost given up CDing all together!

AylaKay 02-10-2013 05:39 AM

I was surprised that I like flats as much as I do. I thought I'd prefer AIO but most of my stash is flats, prefolds, and pockets.

UVASahm 02-10-2013 05:42 AM

Re: Surprise yourself?

I thought I would hate aios and I was so confused by fitteds and wool. I was so wrong! My husband has thrown around the word obsessed...

dagmomma 02-10-2013 05:43 AM

That cds helped me become addicted to laundry and it is ALWAYS done!

I love flats, prefolds anf econobums--so all the cheapest stuff. But I must have easy diappers AIO for out and about or I will get derailed.

thejuel 02-10-2013 07:47 AM

I do much better with a streamlined stash. If it doesn't fit in 2 drawers or her dresser, it's too much!

I love flats! I hated them with my first daughter.

I hate tri folding this time and loved it with my first daughter.

mamakori 02-10-2013 09:04 AM

I've at least partially CD'ed 3 kids (my 3rd just PLed) and I'm currently prepping a stash for my 4th and likely last.

The CD world is a lot different now than when I started. With my first, sized FB were the latest and greatest and most CD mamas used PF or fitteds with covers.

With my second, I caught the wool madness and nearly drove myself crazy with a very elaborate and complicated stash. I ended up ditching it all for a stash of nothing but BG 2.0 seconds, and though I grew tired of stuffing pockets, I had a successful CD experience.

With my third, I had no desire to ever stuff a pocket again, and I bought a stash of BG Organics with aplix that were being discontinued and available for very reduced prices. I loved those dipes, but ended up with a baby with severe gastrointestinal issues, who would regularly poo more than 10x per day, and as a result, had a bum prone to severe rashes (multiple yeast rashes and a strep rash). We also switched to a HE Front Loader during this time, and I had trouble finding the right wash routine to get the dipes fully clean. After about 6 months, we discontinued CDing in favor of sposies, which really ended up being the best option for her.

After all that last time around I swore I wasn't going to mess with CDs again, yet here I am, inexplicably drawn to the fluff again. This time around, I'm planning a stash that is 1/2 BGE (snaps with detached soakers, bought as seconds) and 1/2 BG 4.0s (to have a stay-dry and easy poop removal option), with a few Flips on hand as back-up.

My biggest lessons/surprises all of this: I really like BG dipes, but their aplix is crap (hence all snaps this time). While I do best with fairly simple stash, it is a good idea to have a stash made up of more than one fabric (as much as I love organic cotton, sometimes stay-dry works best on tender bums). FL washers really can make cloth diaper laundry more difficult. And finally, I can have a stash I love, but if it doesn't work for my actual baby, it's not worth much.

PurpleFluff 02-10-2013 09:49 AM

I thought I would strongly prefer aplix closures, but I can't stand them. Sure they're easier but they snag everything, look much more worn, and the laundry tabs irritated DS's skin. I still use them, but I grumble when one comes up in rotation. I love my snaps! Soon will invest in a snap press and convert all my aplix except a few for DH.

I'm another one who was surprised that my preferences are for flats, prefolds and covers. I use them almost exclusively during the day, except for fitteds and wool when DS needs air time, 4.0s at night and freetimes for the diaper bag.

March 02-10-2013 10:14 AM

I thought I wouldn't mind stuffing pockets and would prefer them because of the customizability and the versatility for cleaning pieces separately. I thought AIOs were probably little cesspools of bacteria and mildew because the thickness would make them so difficult to clean and dry. But that was in 2008/2009, and in 2013, AIOs are SO MUCH BETTER!!! I'm a little obsessed with how much I love AIOs now. They can go from washer to dryer to dresser with no folding stage if necessary. THEN there's no folding or positioning some piece of absorbent material inside some piece of waterproof material once you go to put the diaper on.

s@hmommy 02-10-2013 10:15 AM

That I do not prefer to keep it cheapest with os. I really like sized diapers. I thought they seemed like such a waste at first when I could buy one set of os and be done. But now that we have tried sized, I could not imagine not spending the extra up from for the perfect fit of sized.

ETA- I also thought snaps seemed ridiculous, now I can not stand the thought of using aplix on anyone bigger than a newborn.