Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cleaning diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490514)

m0mmyluvzm3 02-10-2013 11:32 AM

Cleaning diapers

I am new to cloth, I don't have any diapers yet but am going to try prefolds and pockets. I am going to get a diaper sprayer and one of those potty pails, and a wet bag . I am not sure though on a few things on how to clean the diapers. First, do I spray both pee and poop diapers? Do they need to be sprayed soon after being soiled or later like that night, or even on wash day? I am planning on washing every two to three days. The other thing is, if I do spray off the diapers before washing, do I just put them in the wet bag or do they need to be wrung out/ dried before putting in bag? I am concerned about these wet diapers sitting for couple days getting moldy. We live in a humid climate and I even have to make sure used towels are completely dry before putting in clothes basket bc I have found mold in fibers after them sitting for five days. Thanks for feed back, I am really excited to get started and want to be successful!

ravenchow 02-10-2013 07:09 PM

Re: Cleaning diapers

I prefer to spray poo dipes when they happen because my toddler has nasty poos & the longer they sit, the longer it takes me to get them sprayed clean. Some people prefer to wait & do all the poos at one time (especially if they have someone not too cd savvy watching LO during the day). I let ours hang on the side of the toilet to drip (only if kiddy safe though). I keep a poo wetbag in the bathroom & the poo dipes go in that bag & then I have an additional smaller bag for the PUL covers. We trifold so we lose every cover to poo. I do a pre-soak with my diapers before every load & I don't soak PUL in my Bac Out soak. This is why I have a separate wetbag for just covers. It's not necessary. It's more of a convenience thing. I don't spray pee dipes. They drop right into the big basket in the nursery. Some people spray night dipes because of the heavy pee saturation & ammonia that begins to develop, but I never did. We live in a very hot environment, but I keep the house cool. I only do laundry once a week now that I'm pregnant, working full time, & exhausted, but I've always had a pretty good laundry system so I've never had issues.

Pixi6s 02-10-2013 07:16 PM

Re: Cleaning diapers

You only have to spray formula poo or poo once baby starts solids. Otherwise Breastfed poo is water soluble and you can just put in wet pail. Some people find its a good idea to rinse all the diapers but I wouldn't start there.

Doesn't matter when you spray but generally its easier around when you change it.

if you live in a humid area you probably want to wash every other day since you probably wouldn't want to dry out each diaper.

BTW you might just want to try using a sprayer before bothering with a potty pail -- see if you need it first. Seems like something that would take up alot of room for little gain.