Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Choosing a primary doctor for DS, help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490516)

waterisntsomething 02-10-2013 11:45 AM

Choosing a primary doctor for DS, help!

So I recently moved back to Virginia and my health insurance starts March 1st. I need to pick out a primary care doctor/pediatrician for DS and i am nervous about it! I absolutely loved our Ped. in California but b/c we moved to CO and then to VA a couple months later DS hasn't been seen since he was 6 months. I am compiling a list of the medicaid approved doctors under my chosen plan and want to research and clal to ask some questions before i schedule an appt. I really want to find a doctor I trust and can have a good relationship with. What are the big questions you usually ask when choosing a doctor? I am delaying vaccines which wasn't a big deal in Ca (in fact my Ped suggested it!) but here I fully expect to get harassed about it.

ohgirlohboyohno 02-10-2013 12:11 PM

Re: Choosing a primary doctor for DS, help!

I think my biggest issues with kids and dr appointments are with the other staff...the front appointment making ladies and the nurses.

I would think about the things you LOVED in CA and figure out how to sniff that out in the VA offices....and sometimes it takes a couple visits to get a good feel for an office.

luvsviola 02-10-2013 12:43 PM

Around here, the very first question would be "Are you taking new Medicaid patients?" DS is Medicaid and we had difficulty finding a ped that was taking new patients. Originally, the closest one was 30 minutes away. Luckily, I begged and my daughters ped took him on, but everyone I called was more than happy to take him til they found out he was Medicaid, and I was told their docket was full. Even our own ped told us that originally.

Ask about vaxes, if sick kids are seen same day, who covers after hours calls, what hospitals they have privileges at, and how aggressive they are with antibiotics.

CASMama711 02-10-2013 01:01 PM

What part of VA do you live in?

When we moved back to VA last year, I needed to find an outstanding ped for all of my kids, but especially needed a great one to manage my DS's complex medical needs. I called the closest NICU and asked them where they would refer a family who lives in my area. We LOVE the ped they recommended! :)

waterisntsomething 02-10-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno (Post 16272305)
I think my biggest issues with kids and dr appointments are with the other staff...the front appointment making ladies and the nurses.

I would think about the things you LOVED in CA and figure out how to sniff that out in the VA offices....and sometimes it takes a couple visits to get a good feel for an office.

Thanks, good idea.
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16272384)
Around here, the very first question would be "Are you taking new Medicaid patients?" DS is Medicaid and we had difficulty finding a ped that was taking new patients. Originally, the closest one was 30 minutes away. Luckily, I begged and my daughters ped took him on, but everyone I called was more than happy to take him til they found out he was Medicaid, and I was told their docket was full. Even our own ped told us that originally.

Ask about vaxes, if sick kids are seen same day, who covers after hours calls, what hospitals they have privileges at, and how aggressive they are with antibiotics.

Great questions! I haven't even hought baout/looked into antibiotics. I should really do some research on that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CASMama711 (Post 16272435)
What part of VA do you live in?

When we moved back to VA last year, I needed to find an outstanding ped for all of my kids, but especially needed a great one to manage my DS's complex medical needs. I called the closest NICU and asked them where they would refer a family who lives in my area. We LOVE the ped they recommended! :)

I'm near Harrisonburg.

Christylkeller 02-10-2013 01:36 PM

Depending on how *crunchy* you are, I would look for a ped in Charlottesville. I would also call around to some local doulas and home birth/birth center midwives and ask for a list of who they recommend to give you a starting point. There could be a great fit in Harrisonburg, but I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to go to C'ville to find what you are looking for!

waterisntsomething 02-10-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christylkeller
Depending on how *crunchy* you are, I would look for a ped in Charlottesville. I would also call around to some local doulas and home birth/birth center midwives and ask for a list of who they recommend to give you a starting point. There could be a great fit in Harrisonburg, but I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to go to C'ville to find what you are looking for!

That's a great idea! I'll have to call around. I'm in page county so charlottesville is a bit of a trek for me.

bluedaisyma 02-10-2013 07:48 PM

In northern va I have no problems with not vaxxing from peds. Right now we use a Fam practice and they never say anything.