Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "He's so skinny!" and "He's so tiny!" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490596)

happysmileylady 02-10-2013 05:59 PM

"He's so skinny!" and "He's so tiny!"

I hear these things about my little guy all the time and now its starting to make me wonder.

We have had an up and down relationship with breastfeeding. We were doing great, then we dealt with reflux, then he was sick, then AF came back, supply problems, bottle problems etc.

At one point he was almost all formula. By now we are back to the breast 100% full time. Until a few days ago, he was getting 1 bottle of 4 oz of formula at night before bed. I am nursing and/or pumping as often as I can, I would say he averages about every 3 hours. We do a little bit of "bait and switch" nursing where I am having to substitute the pacifier for a nipple, but not a lot of it, mostly in the evening. His wet diapers seem to be fine, and he's not showing any signs of dehydration, he poops once every two or three days, but has always been that way.

We have a regular well baby visit scheduled for Tuesday, so I will get a current weight for him at that point. Two months ago, when we started the reflux meds, he was 10lbs and 10oz. He's growing long ways, and has always been a long skinny baby, and he is outgrowing the 3 months clothes in length.

But everyone keeps telling me he's so skinny. You can feel his little ribs when you hold him, though it's not like they are prominently protruding or anything. And he's generally a pretty happy baby, not crying all the time like a baby who's not getting enough to eat would.

Is it a problem that he's so skinny? My brother was a tall skinny kid, and still today is tall and skinny.

mibarra 02-10-2013 06:03 PM

Not necessarily. DD2 was a skinny minny too. The only fat is her big chubby cheeks!

As long as he's not losing weight and is otherwise happy/healthy I wouldn't worry yet!

dmbrown5 02-10-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra
Not necessarily. DD2 was a skinny minny too. The only fat is her big chubby cheeks!

As long as he's not losing weight and is otherwise happy/healthy I wouldn't worry yet!

I agree you can't always listen to other people.

cpamamma 02-10-2013 07:09 PM

Best bet is to see what the doc says. But not all babes are meant to be chunkie.

trying4more 02-10-2013 07:09 PM

My DD is small! She is almost 1yr and still wearing 6m clothes. She has been growing at the same rate, so we aren't worried about! She is just going to be very petite!

TeachinAuntie 02-10-2013 07:12 PM

Re: "He's so skinny!" and "He's so tiny!"

I just tell people I'm a runt and I make runts. :)

karlitacat 02-10-2013 08:12 PM

My daughter was just a little over 5lbs when she was born a week early. I was diagnosed with rH disease AND IUGR while pregnant with her, my pediatrician wrote "poor growth" on her chart and kept strongly suggesting I supplement. I felt HORRIBLE! Even though doctors are there for a reason, you can't always take their advice - they go by charts which map an average and don't necessarily apply to an individual. My daughter is thriving and healthy and has always been small (but TALL) for her age.

On of my sister-in-law's sons is really skinny - it looks like his pants are always falling off! I remember she'd try to hide his figure in baggy clothes because our mother-in-law would harp on his size, say he wasn't being fed enough, etc. His father is long and lean and I think he just follows suit.

When it's all said and done, you're the mother - follow your instincts. Is your baby healthy, happy, thriving? Then it's all good.

hbee 02-10-2013 08:16 PM

DD was 5 lbs, born a month early. She's almost 1 1/2 and she's just almost 20 lbs now. She was fully formula fed. Some kids are just little, and it's okay. :)

ETA - Oops, didn't see this was BF support, still a valid point, I think. Since, the point was even a fully formula fed kiddo can be tiny. At her 15 month appointment, she was 4% for height and weight.

Computermama 02-10-2013 10:35 PM

If he's healthy, yep. Happy, eating well, wetting and dirtying diapers, seems alert there's probably no problem. Babies don't need rolls of fat to be healthy, and we all come in different sizes. There's such a wide range of normal.

There are two little girls at our playgroup. They're about 5 weeks apart, they couldn't be more different, but they're both normal range. One is 17 mos, JUUST barely 20lbs, if she even is that heavy - she's very petite. There's not a spare ounce of flesh on this child. She wears the same size clothes as my 9 month old (12 mos, and she can fit into some 6 mos stuff), has only 4 teeth and hardly talks, but she started walking at 9 months and now is running absolutely anywhere - she's just a busy kid. The younger one is 16 mos, 31lbs and still has a lot of the baby rolls to her and is quite tall to go with it, full mouth of teeth, has not only several recognizable words but is stringing them together already, but she's only just now starting to walk. Normal is an enormous range, and that's awsome. Because honestly if we were all the same, it would be pretty dang boring.

birdinhand 02-10-2013 11:34 PM

Look at milestones and activity level, not weight on the scale. A baby we would worry about would be lethargic and non-participatory.

You can't win for losing -- my babies were big, and people would always say, "He's so big, he must be ready for food, your milk is not enough..." I know my friends with thin babies get, "He's so skinny, he needs food, your milk is not enough..." :)