Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   IUGR mamas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490665)

AngelElle 02-10-2013 11:27 PM

IUGR mamas?
 
I had my 20 week scan last Friday. DD is measuring 3rd percentile and 8 days behind. I go in again in a month and if she hasn't grown enough, will be referred to a high risk OB. Anybody else been through this? My DS was 5 lb. 11 oz, so maybe I just have little babies? Her growth is symmetrical and my doc didn't say anything about abnormalities and the alphafetalprotein was neg. I'm eating extra protein, laying on my left side as much as my 18 mo old will allow me to, and drinking extra fluids. Just trying to quit compulsively reading stuff online and hoping to talk to a real person!

finleyjudemommy 02-11-2013 05:43 AM

I wasn't diagnosed with that but our new little one always measured small...she was born at 38 weeks exactly and weighed 5 pounds even. I also had gestational diabetes and was on insulin.

My advise is to just continue to do what you're doing and yes, stop reading what is online...it will only add stress. Maybe you just bake small babies like me :-). Good luck :-)

aries416 02-11-2013 05:57 AM

I was never diagnosed with that, but my dd was 6 lbs 1 oz and 18 inches at 41 weeks. She was tiny, but very healthy. My second baby was much bigger

songbird516 02-11-2013 08:29 AM

Re: IUGR mamas?
 
I would definitely stop worrying too much and focus on eating very nutritious food. Lots of coconut oil/milk, butter, whole milk, organ meats if you can handle it, and leafy greens. Drink water to thirst and not past that. Studies show that watchful waiting with suspected IUGR results in just as good of outcomes as induction/early delivery. Here is a good post with references.
http://birthsen.tmdhosting930.com/?p=845

Both of my babies were on the small side. Is it possible that your dates are just a little off?

poohbear1208 02-11-2013 04:13 PM

My first dd was a suspected iugr baby. She ran small my entire pregnancy, as did my uterus, then they really started getting concerned around 35-36 weeks when I stopped growing and gaining weight at 32 weeks. The day of her emergency induction she failed the biophysical profile, so they delivered her at 39 weeks. She was born a healthy 6 lbs 7 oz. As it turns out, I just carry small babies and I stop growing and gaining weight every time around 30-32 weeks. Wasn't anything to be concerned about, but she was my first baby so we didn't know that's just the way my body grows babies. You might be the same way, especially since your other baby was tiny!

AngelElle 02-14-2013 10:15 AM

Re: IUGR mamas?
 
Thanks! That definitely helps to know that this can turn out good :) I think the dates are a few days off, because I tend to ovulate later in the cycle and I think that would maybe throw all the calculations off?

poohbear1208 02-15-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelElle
Thanks! That definitely helps to know that this can turn out good :) I think the dates are a few days off, because I tend to ovulate later in the cycle and I think that would maybe throw all the calculations off?

That would def throw the calculations off if you ovulated later. I notice the US said you are running 8 days behind, but it could just be that you ovulated 8 days later and baby is right on track ;)

MommaLEB 02-15-2013 03:30 PM

Re: IUGR mamas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by poohbear1208 (Post 16277129)
My first dd was a suspected iugr baby. She ran small my entire pregnancy, as did my uterus, then they really started getting concerned around 35-36 weeks when I stopped growing and gaining weight at 32 weeks. The day of her emergency induction she failed the biophysical profile, so they delivered her at 39 weeks. She was born a healthy 6 lbs 7 oz. As it turns out, I just carry small babies and I stop growing and gaining weight every time around 30-32 weeks. Wasn't anything to be concerned about, but she was my first baby so we didn't know that's just the way my body grows babies. You might be the same way, especially since your other baby was tiny!

I just found out today that my fundal height has only gone up 1 cm in the last five weeks. Reading this gives me a bit of relief. I have to wait until Wednesday for an ultra sound, it's going to be a long few days...

Zoethink 02-16-2013 07:55 AM

Re: IUGR mamas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516 (Post 16274909)
I would definitely stop worrying too much and focus on eating very nutritious food. Lots of coconut oil/milk, butter, whole milk, organ meats if you can handle it, and leafy greens. Drink water to thirst and not past that. Studies show that watchful waiting with suspected IUGR results in just as good of outcomes as induction/early delivery. Here is a good post with references.
http://birthsen.tmdhosting930.com/?p=845

Both of my babies were on the small side. Is it possible that your dates are just a little off?

Watchful waiting was the approach we took and things turned out well. :goodvibes:

I forget all the dates, but early on DS didn't seem to be growing as fast as was desired so we just kept an eye on him. He kept growing, slightly asymmetrical, I think his legs lagged behind. He was finally born at 37 weeks and 5 days, and he weighed in at 3 and a half pounds. I did have a cesarean but for reasons unrelated to his size. He spent two weeks in the NICU, in order to grow. But he was always healthy! No problems breathing, no problems eating, no infections or other diseases, and he always had really good muscle tone.

Now he is a healthy two year old! I just wanted to chime in to say that even though things can be maybe less than ideal or not textbook normal they can still turn out well!:thumbsup:

Good luck mama!

Ps. I second the idea to stop reading things that stress you out!! I didn't and I cannot imagine that it helped things at all! Take it easy and love your little person and this chance you get to be so close together!!!:hugs:

bai18176 02-16-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaLEB

I just found out today that my fundal height has only gone up 1 cm in the last five weeks. Reading this gives me a bit of relief. I have to wait until Wednesday for an ultra sound, it's going to be a long few days...

With my last I had a stretch of almost 6 weeks with no fundal height change during end of 2, early 3rd trimester, and delivered a healthy 7lb 9 oz baby on her due date :). I always have stretches where my fundal height doesn't grow for a while though. Seem to be experiencing one now in fact. I hope everything goes well at the u/s for you!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors