Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Question extended nursers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490743)

nestra 02-11-2013 09:25 AM

Question extended nursers

How often is you year old (or older) nursing? We aren't there yet and I was wondering what to expect. When does food take a more dominant role in nutrition? We are baby led weaning so his food intake (at nine months) is pretty minimal.

Liaklong 02-11-2013 09:49 AM

My ds is 13 M on Wed & he nurses 3-4 times per day. He still nurses a bit at night too, but it's more of a comfort thing (never used a binky & that's how he falls back asleep). We are working on night weaning so we can get a bit more sleep :). My son never ate much at 9M & he absolutely refused baby food (we had to steam & chop foods). He does well with a variety of foods now though.

Connor 02-11-2013 10:04 AM

My DS is 3.5 and nurses 4-5 times a day give or take. Food is definitely his main source though, he eats like an adult!! :giggle:

slyeates 02-11-2013 10:37 AM

12 months old and nurses 6-7 times per day. She still wakes twice to nurse at night.

birdinhand 02-11-2013 10:54 AM

Re: Question extended nursers

Lots of moms notcie at about a year babies get into a newborn-nursing pattern again for a while -- it's totally normal and they move out of it soon. Just something to be aware of as it can feel like a huge step back.

For my extended nurses, I noticed when I sat down or we were at home, the nursed more; if we were out and about, they wouldn't really even think about nursing.

nestra 02-11-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdinhand (Post 16275634)
Lots of moms notcie at about a year babies get into a newborn-nursing pattern again for a while -- it's totally normal and they move out of it soon. Just something to be aware of as it can feel like a huge step back.

For my extended nurses, I noticed when I sat down or we were at home, the nursed more; if we were out and about, they wouldn't really even think about nursing.

Is there any theory as to why this is?

foundrychick 02-11-2013 12:57 PM

Son is 15 mos. if I'm around, he asks to nurse. I nurse alot when we are home, it seems...and he is nursing all night again it seems. I'm getting ready to night wean. Mama is tired and also I new to be able to I potty!!! We are still cosleeping, too.

birdinhand 02-11-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestra (Post 16275748)
Is there any theory as to why this is?

I am not sure, it's just what I hear from a lot with moms who are still nursing at a year. Oftentimes moms make it through the first year without much support because it is more "normal." Then when a year hits, they are getting a lot of pressure to wean, so they seek out support for extended nursing. That's when I hear them talk about temporary newborn nursing habits.

qsefthuko 02-11-2013 07:28 PM

At a year my daughter was nursing about every 3 hours through the day. Every 4 hours during the night. So at bed time, once during the night and in the morning. My boys have nursed the most. My older son had difficulties swallowing. He would often gag and vomit trying to eat solids. He typically nursed about 12+times a day until around 2 1/2-3 years of age. My youngest is now 20 months old. He nurses more frequently at home than when out and about. At home it is hourly. Out and about it is every 3 hours. He will make up for it though. When we get home he will nurse for an extended period of time. At night be nurses every 2-2 1/2 hours.

mibarra 02-11-2013 08:38 PM

DD2 loved food. She ate well. Nursed 3 times during the day and irregularly at night at 1 year.