Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Any interest in a high risk thread? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491347)

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 05:56 AM

Any interest in a high risk thread?

I am high risk and I have know for a couple of years that I would be so it shouldn't be a shock, but my OB yesterday told me EXACTLY how high risk I am and now I think I could use some support from other women that understand. I guess I have a future of lots of ultrasounds and non-stress tests. Then a c-section where I clear a floor again (already did that with triplets at 24 weeks) with doctors and nurses. I will be lucky to come out without needing a blood transfusion and still having my uterus. I am not that worried as I know God has a plan for me so who am I to question it. :goodvibes:

So I am thinking a thread for high risk/bed rest support might be nice. I don't think I will have bed rest this pregnancy but I am definately NOT not doing bed rest if you know what I mean. I am "taking it easy" this pregnancy.

Anyone with me?

Almacham 02-13-2013 06:43 AM

Re: Any interest in a high risk thread?

I am! I have type 1 diabetes and that means lots of blood draws, tests, monthly ultrasounds, monitoring, nst's.

I wish you the best! :hugs:

RunawayBunny 02-13-2013 09:36 AM

I'd be up for it! I was put on modified bed rest on Monday (31 weeks) for bleeding from placenta previa. So my scheduled c-sec is for 36 weeks, but my mfm said he would be thrilled if I make it to 34 weeks. My due date club is wonderfully supportive, but I've been afraid to speak my mind because I dont want to be a downer.

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 09:53 AM

So glad to see an intrest in this. :) Not that anyone has to be here, but that we can be there for each other. :hugs:

Almacham - I don't know much about type 1 diabetes. Type 2 is EVERWHERE now but I never hear about type 1. Can you help educate me on what they are afraid of with you? When are you due?

RunnawayBunny - Sorry you are on bed rest. I was on that with my triplets in the hospital for a month and it wasn't fun. I mean it is better then the alternative but it gets boring after a while. Do you have help for your other children? I completely understand what you mean about not wanting to talk too much on the DD board. I realized after I posted about my appointment yesterday that I was a total Debbie Downer. :( I hope you get past 34 weeks and shock everyone! :)

So when is everyone's next appointments?

My next appointment is a non-OB ultrasound on Monday. I will see my son (know I am having a boy) but he isn't the focus. This is a remission check of my cancer... REALLY hope I pass this! No news in about a week and that is good news. My oncologist is really on top of things.

DesertRat 02-13-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16284114)
Almacham - I don't know much about type 1 diabetes. Type 2 is EVERWHERE now but I never hear about type 1. Can you help educate me on what they are afraid of with you? When are you due?

I don't have it, but my DD has type 1.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attack the pancreas and the body quits making insulin entirely. (Type 2s make insulin, but their bodies don't use it effectively, causing high blood sugar) Type 1 diabetes are dependent on synthetic insulin to keep their blood sugar levels at a normal range. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as "controlling" blood sugar because there are so many factors that affect insulin needs, such as hormones, exercise, stress, illnesses, growth spurts, weather, etc. You can do your best to manage it, but it's a tricky disease to live with.

Long story short, from what I understand with regards to pregnancy, the hormones and changes just make it that much harder to manage blood sugar levels. Most women see a HUGE increase in insulin needs while they are pregnant. So even if a woman is doing all she can to manage the disease, she's likely to still see high blood sugars-- which is hard on mom's body (hence all the testing). Also, high blood sugars make for bigger babies because they take all that extra sugar in the blood and store it as fat. So, mom and baby have to be monitored carefully throughout pregnancy.

canadianbakers 02-13-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunawayBunny (Post 16284048)
I'd be up for it! I was put on modified bed rest on Monday (31 weeks) for bleeding from placenta previa. So my scheduled c-sec is for 36 weeks, but my mfm said he would be thrilled if I make it to 34 weeks. My due date club is wonderfully supportive, but I've been afraid to speak my mind because I dont want to be a downer.

:( I'm sorry you feel that way Meg.
I hope everyone, including you, feels that we can post whatever we want in the dd board - please, don't worry about being a downer, we all want to support you and :pray: for you and babe.
5 weeks is soon enough, I can't imagine thinking about only 3 weeks left at this point. :hugs:

Sorry for the thread crashing, just had to say that to Meg - and that I love the idea of this thread. I'm not high-risk (IMO anyways) but I think it's a great idea for those who are.

Almacham 02-13-2013 12:10 PM

Type 1 means insulin shots for life... Usually starts in childhood. Basically your pancreas doesn't produce insulin! Everything can effect my blood sugars. I have had to be hospitalized for a simple stomach virus several times, because taking insulin plus not eating for several days = disaster! It's very hard on your body. You have to maintain constant vigilance on your blood sugars and insulin shots. It's an autoimmune disease.

Pregnancy with type 1 diabetes is extremely high risk... Let me see if I can remember everything off the top of my head:
* premature labor and delivery
* miscarriage
* stillbirth
* fetal deformity
* congenital fetal defects
* complications regarding delivery
* dangerously large baby
* an ill newborn
* pre-eclampsia
* heart problems in baby and mom
* growth problems with baby
* placenta problems - aging placenta, for instance, when it should be fine and healthy

There may be more that I'm just not remembering. They put me through a battery of tests and look over the baby head to toe monthly. By the 32nd week I have to go to the dr three times a week!

Jennifer, I will be thinking of you. :hugs: I hope that your test goes well. :crossfingers:

mibarra 02-13-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 16284645)
:( I'm sorry you feel that way Meg.
I hope everyone, including you, feels that we can post whatever we want in the dd board - please, don't worry about being a downer, we all want to support you and :pray: for you and babe.
5 weeks is soon enough, I can't imagine thinking about only 3 weeks left at this point. :hugs:

Sorry for the thread crashing, just had to say that to Meg - and that I love the idea of this thread. I'm not high-risk (IMO anyways) but I think it's a great idea for those who are.

Beat me too it! Was going to say the same thing! I'm not high risk this time, but I have been in the past, which was why I was checking this out. I don't think you're a downer! And I have my FX you're LO stays cooking as long as possible :goodvibes:

3 ladybugs 02-14-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almacham (Post 16284691)
Type 1 means insulin shots for life... Usually starts in childhood. Basically your pancreas doesn't produce insulin! Everything can effect my blood sugars. I have had to be hospitalized for a simple stomach virus several times, because taking insulin plus not eating for several days = disaster! It's very hard on your body. You have to maintain constant vigilance on your blood sugars and insulin shots. It's an autoimmune disease.

Pregnancy with type 1 diabetes is extremely high risk... Let me see if I can remember everything off the top of my head:
* premature labor and delivery
* miscarriage
* stillbirth
* fetal deformity
* congenital fetal defects
* complications regarding delivery
* dangerously large baby
* an ill newborn
* pre-eclampsia
* heart problems in baby and mom
* growth problems with baby
* placenta problems - aging placenta, for instance, when it should be fine and healthy

There may be more that I'm just not remembering. They put me through a battery of tests and look over the baby head to toe monthly. By the 32nd week I have to go to the dr three times a week!

Jennifer, I will be thinking of you. :hugs: I hope that your test goes well. :crossfingers:

Oh my! What a long list!! That is awful that you have to deal with all of that... and it doesn't even end when the kid is born! :hugs: Thanks for the education lesson.

I am not that worried about my scan. I used to get scan anxiety but honestly this scan isn't as precise as my normal CT or PET scan so I am not worried. Now ask me again when I go in for the delivery and need to do a PET before I leave. :nervous:

Oh and full disclosure I should run over the list that the doctor gave me of what could happen to me. I had pelvic radiation (and chemo and cancer) since I had my son. So my list is:
- inability for the uterus to expand
- placenta may not be able to attach correctly and/or grow like it should
- I had a chemo drug that can be hard on my heart so I need to watch out for that (though this I am not as concerned about)
- I could go into labor at any time because of my uterus and I had 2 classical (vertical cut) c-sections so that could cause uterine rupture
- Delivery is tricky because of scar tissue that the radiation causes. Could have excessive scar tissue making it hard to do the c-section.
- could have scar tissue binding my organs making the surgery harder
- could have the placenta not willing to detach from the uterus (basically scarred on it)
- could have severe blood loss if any of these happen

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. However all of this is theoretical risks. Honestly NO one knows what the radiation did to me other then get rid of "Larry" (my cancer). The scans couldn't show scar tissue so we only know what was found out before the radiation with a surgery that I had to move my ovaries to the top of my uterus (in prep for radiation). Everything else is just "worse case scenario" that they can figure out based on what they know about the human body. So I get scared more then I probably need to be. :giggle:

Almacham 02-15-2013 07:35 AM

You are one strong lady. :hugs: