Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Help ECing a baby girl (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491480)

chickiwawa 02-13-2013 01:23 PM

Help ECing a baby girl

Hi all,

My little girl is 14 months and has been showing obvious signs of knowing that she needs to go #2 such as, crawling to the potty, calling for me, grunting at me, etc. My hang-up is that once we are on the potty she won't go. She'll go shortly afterwards in her diaper. I'll sit with her for a good while until I have to man my other troops (3 and 5 year old boys who were super easy to train).
I think if she goes once and makes that connection it'll be a breeze, but does anyone have any suggestion on how to get her to go? M&M's worked like a charm for the boys, but she doesn't care for them.

MtnHarmony 02-17-2013 01:41 PM

Re: Help ECing a baby girl

well, it could be a phase, an independance thing, who knows for sure. I had a child about 4 months older do that, but he was EC'd from birth full time... It drove me nuts. It was clear he wanted to go potty, yet he didn't until I put a diaper on. BUT yours sounds like it may ust take time to make a connection.

You could try a different potty, a fleece cover over the potty seat (maybe it's too cold?) a different potty location, or holding her over the potty as different positions (like feet up) can help some kids relax better and let stuff slide out. It could be she just can't relax enough and is trying very hard that's why I said if there's anything you can do to help her relax like a cozy potty, reading a book, who knows, it May help. I am not expert and it's been years since I have EC'd but I did have a child do this, and in time it all worked out.

poopstermomma 02-17-2013 06:50 PM

Have you tried letting her get back up, but not putting a diaper back on? And then asking her to sit again a few minutes later? We were 60 second sitters. If you haven't produced in one minute, you may get up and play for three minutes. (when I KNEW they had to go!!) Then you can sit again. I think you may want to end the cycle of letting her poop in a diaper- at this point, if she is giving such strong signals, poop on the floor, that you can talk about, would be better than letting her go in a diaper. I completely empathize with having more kids than eyes- my solution was to have a potty in the playroom. That way, I am playing with everyone but keeping a solid eye on the potty situation.

How did it go today? I know that every day is a new day!! :)

MtnHarmony 02-18-2013 06:55 PM

Great suggestion! You may find she will hold it without diaper on, or be more aware but you don't have t do it when you can't handle the possible consequences.

Peroxide will easily clean fresh poo out of carpet :)

AndreaOlson 03-07-2013 01:34 PM

I'd try to pick her up after she doesn't go, walk around the house for a quick sec to pretend the experience is over and to encourage the poop out a little bit, and then bring her back to go again. Repeat until the poop has been deposited. :) And, yes, once she does it, the rest is cake.

chickiwawa 03-20-2013 03:10 PM

Hey all, I didn't realize that I'm not notified when anyone responds to my threads until just now :blush:

Thank you for the responses! I will try what you've suggested. Poop on the floor doesn't bother me (it's puke that really gets me, lol). I might just allow her to do that and see how she reacts, as strange as that might sound.

I like the 60 second sitter idea, too. I remember potty training the boys took time, but it was time well spent because I was very focused on them. It was a good experience and we had fun with it.

I've bought a "Cushie Tushie" potty seat, so she's comfy :goodvibes:

leadmare 03-21-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopstermomma (Post 16300577)
Have you tried letting her get back up, but not putting a diaper back on? And then asking her to sit again a few minutes later? We were 60 second sitters. If you haven't produced in one minute, you may get up and play for three minutes. (when I KNEW they had to go!!) Then you can sit again. I think you may want to end the cycle of letting her poop in a diaper- at this point, if she is giving such strong signals, poop on the floor, that you can talk about, would be better than letting her go in a diaper. I completely empathize with having more kids than eyes- my solution was to have a potty in the playroom. That way, I am playing with everyone but keeping a solid eye on the potty situation.

How did it go today? I know that every day is a new day!! :)

What a great idea! My lo has been frustrating because I will know she has a poop brewing: she will sit on the potty, do the dance... Oh it is painfully clear she has to poop. But when it doesn't come out quickly like her pee does, she's off, and then when she really has to go- BAM! It's out (on the floor) before we can get to the potty.