Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pacifiers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491497)

MamaLump 02-13-2013 01:58 PM

Pacifiers

With DS, I never gave him a pacifier. But I also let him nap while nursing for the first 6 months of his life. This was fine with me, and all went well. (Ok, not entirely true, as he would sleep no other way and now at 21 month is still a terrible sleeper.)

Anyway, DS will be 25 months when DD comes along and is still very high needs. Letting her nurse for 2 hrs straight while napping is not realistic. So, I think I want to introduce a pacifier this time and see if I can get her to sleep on her own.

Any advice about how to do this without it causing BF issues? How/when did you introduce? I even welcome DON'T DO IT comments.

Treylen 02-13-2013 02:46 PM

Re: Pacifiers

I used pacifiers with both my babies with no issues. We gave in with my first at the hospital. He loved his pacifier. We weaned him off it at 8 months. I did have BF issues with him when he became very distractable at 6 months and did not want to wait for my milk to let down. This was after he was at daycare and bottle fed during the day. I don't think those issues were caused by the pacifier.

My second didn't care for the pacifier at all until just recently. I also let him nurse to sleep while I was on leave. He transitioned to a pacifier recently when I went back to work. He's taking it well now, which helps him stay asleep. And he still LOVES nursing. ;) it hasn't interfered.

Nerissa 02-13-2013 03:30 PM

DS1 was a thumb sucker and no effect on nursing
DS2 took nothing
DD is a pacifier baby and so far no effect on nursing. i have the best supply out of all three.

I also WOH so she needed somethign besides me.

tibeca 02-13-2013 03:40 PM

DD1 loved her paci. Started at 24 hours old. I force weaned her from it when she turned 4 YEARS OLD. Nursed until 38 months. Horrible sleeper! Still wakes a couple times a week at night.

DD2 used a paci until 3 months, then refused it. Started at 3 days old. Continues nursing now at 26 months. Great sleeper.

DD3 refuses any and all pacis. Now 6 months, still nursing, of course. Best sleeper.

Only you know what is best for you and your baby.

FrozenBooty 02-13-2013 05:01 PM

Both of my children took paci's and gave them up on their own by 4-6 mo.

I don't think it was ever an issue for us

newtocloth2 02-13-2013 08:44 PM

My first never took a pacifier, my second started at 2 days old and weaned from pacifier at 12 months, nursed until 19 months (when I weaned him). My third is still a newborn, but he nurses just fine and takes a pacifier.

birdinhand 02-13-2013 10:17 PM

The general recommendation is to not introduce artificial nipples until 6 weeks. The thing about nipple confusion is, you never know which baby will be affected by it.

Some babies latch right on and nurse with no issues; other babies need time and repositioning, and it can require so much more effort for mom. I think it's wise to wait until your baby can pop right on and nurse with no struggle or causing any pain -- whether that's 3 days or 7 weeks. If t 6 weeks a baby is still having issues latching on, or mom is having any pain -- that baby is still not ready for another nipplem kwim? So I don't exactly agree with the 6 week-thing -- it is so much more about watching the baby, just like many of the other milestones are when it comes to specific ages (starting solids at 6 months, etc.). All babies are different, they aren't just one-size-fits-all machines that can follow recommended guidelines :).

anne_josh 02-14-2013 12:33 AM

A hungry baby will not take a pacifier for long--so I don't worry about that aspect, but wait until they are latching well at the breast because it can cause latch issues. DS1 used a paci and ditched it of his own accord at 11 months. DS2 still has his. And I have no idea how I am going to get him to give it up..

MamaLump 02-14-2013 06:48 AM

Thanks all. I think I will at least wait until my milk comes in to make sure that I'm getting the appropriate stimulation. And then base it off her latch. But I think I'm going to go for it.

l_Kimmie_l 02-14-2013 07:59 AM

I introduced it at birth and had no issues. Only one of my 3 youngest took it and still has it at 3 1/2 - sigh. He is very high needs so I am glad he has it. He still slept on me though as a baby and early toddler. So pacifier use does not = easier time with not holding while napping.