Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mind if I hop in with a? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491720)

somo_chickenlady 02-14-2013 11:46 AM

Mind if I hop in with a?

Hello ladies. I was wondering if I could ask you all a quick question.

I nanny for 12 week old twins. Their mother breastfeeds them, and then pumps at work and I give them the milk in a bottle. The first week I was here her supply was good and they got all breastmilk. Sometime over the weekend she got behind in pumping so I have been having to supplement with formula. Usually an ounce, maybe more depending on how much milk she leaves me. She doesn't seem to pump as much as she can actually feed them as well, so that is the biggest issue now. They seem to get full when she breastfeeds them, but what she pumps isn't enough for them from the bottle. With the bottle they drink 3oz, but in the past couple days they are acting like they want to ho up to 3.5-4oz.

Anyway, she has been having me give them each vitamin d drops each day. My question is, since they are getting formula, at what point should they stop getting the drops? Do they need to be getting a certain amount of formula per day? She usually feeds them right before I get here, then comes home at 1pm to feed them again. Most days they get on average of 2-4oz of formula, but if mom can't make it home they voild get up to 6oz.

somo_chickenlady 02-14-2013 11:48 AM

Re: Mind if I hop in with a?

Stupid Kindle...I can't edit. The last sentence should say "could get up to 6oz."

Any advice about the drops would be greatly appreciated.

abunchoflemons 02-14-2013 12:51 PM

I would just do a little. I used for few months on my seconds.,

qsefthuko 02-14-2013 12:55 PM

Maybe the mama should consult the kids pedi. My kiddos have never had vitamin d drops. They have never had any issues that I am aware of.

qsefthuko 02-14-2013 01:04 PM

Any way. I wouldn't stop giving it or change anything without the mamas consent.

somo_chickenlady 02-14-2013 01:31 PM

Of course not, that isn't why I was asking. :rolleyes: I'm not an idiot.

Her dr told her to give it to them, but at the time she was strictly bf'ing. I know formula has vit d in it, so i didn't know if thry would still need it. She asks for my advice b/c I have slmost 20 years of experience and she is really unsure of what she is doing. I have just never had a bf baby on these drops before. I thought you ladies could give me advice but I will just have her ask the dr. Nevermind.

FindingMercy 02-14-2013 02:24 PM

If mom is D deficient,the milk could be too. It's pretty common. You can put the drops in the bottle so that its not extra work trying to get it to land in their mouth. :) My son always manages to turn his head right as its falling in so it lands on his cheek. My son is on formula full time and I still do the drops because I figure it can't hurt, and the brand of drops I have is higher quality vitamins than those in the formula.

tibeca 02-14-2013 03:15 PM

As some help for mama, send her to this site: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

That pumping method has proven to increase pumping output. Kudos for her to pumping for her twins when she can't be there!

vmomma 02-14-2013 10:39 PM

I just checked the nutritional info on the formula and the Vit D that I have at home. The formula has 60 IU for every 5 oz's, and the Vit D has 400 IU per 1 ml dose. They would need to be much more formula to get the recommended dose of Vit D per the drops. Hope that helps

77Lipen 02-14-2013 10:47 PM

The 'dosage' is hit or a miss with the drops anyway. It's just extra assurance that they are getting enough vit d
A little more from the formula won't hurt.

In the meantime the new mom could consult a LC to get her milk up.

I used fenugreek seed pills (2 pills after every meal 3) also oatmeal for breakfast and cookies as snack. I tried the tea but I couldn't drink it 3-4 x's a day.
Avoid caffiene and alcohols

The dr could also prescribe something to increase production too.