Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sick baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491752)

Van1300 02-14-2013 01:59 PM

Sick baby

My 3 month old had to come home from daycare today because of a mild fever of 100.3. My husband is with him because he can work from home. He told me that our LO is not drinking a lot. He also was very fussy this morning.

He nursed great last night but was very sleepy and has been coughing, so I am not surprised. He also did not finish his last daycare bottle yesterday. I have been sick, actually took the day off work yesterday to go to the doctor and get some antibiotics. I've been pumping and keeping up my supply just fine. My 3 year old was sick last week as well. She's still on meds.

I unfortunately have to work tomorrow and my little guy will stay with grandma. I hope he will take the bottle OK for her and get to feeling better. I know to look for wet diapers and to keep an eye on dehydration. Anything else to watch for or remember in such a little baby? I am missing him and sad I can't be there and kicking myself for taking my only sick day yesterday (just started a new job) :(

qsefthuko 02-14-2013 02:08 PM

Re: Sick baby

Watch for how hard it is to wake him. Depending on how high a fever and if he has diarrhea or vomiting you may need to add pedialite to his milk. My middle child I did have to pump a bit and add plain pedialite as he was not very responsive. Usually breastmilk is enough but sometimes something more is needed.

Van1300 02-15-2013 03:41 PM

I ended up staying home with him today since his fever went up to 101.7 over night. We went back to the doctor too. He's been nursing OK. Not great. But enough poppy and wet diapers. And wakeful at times, even smiling. Hopefully all will be well soon

Van1300 02-19-2013 08:05 PM

Just a little update :(

He ended up with RSV and was put on a nebulizer and preventative antibiotics over the weekend. He lost a total of 6 oz from Fri to Mon (we were at the doctors both days, and also today). He is finally starting to stop the coughing fits and nurse without choking. But the last few days my husband and I have been feeding him with a medicine syringe oh so slowly.

It has been pretty traumatic and I thought he was going to have to go to the hospital yesterday. But our pediatrician is confident the meds are helping and wants to check his weight both tomorrow and Friday.

birdinhand 02-19-2013 08:34 PM

Scary! So glad you are on top of it and he is doing better. Now you have a plan if this happens again (not necessarily RSV but oter reactive airway issues that may come along after the fact).