Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   How to FF at hospital after birth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491757)

ilovemygirl 02-14-2013 01:23 PM

How to FF at hospital after birth?

How does this work? If you know you are going to FF from the beginning do you have to bring bottles and formula or does the hospital provide it for you? If they provide it, do I have a choice of what type/brand they give us or no?
Thanks for any insights!

s@hmommy 02-14-2013 01:25 PM

Re: How to FF at hospital after birth?

They provide you a variety of types of disposable pre-mixed formula to use. Easy peasy.

happysmileylady 02-14-2013 01:28 PM

If I remember right, you can bring your own, but you don't have to. I they they should have plenty of ready to feed samples that you should have the option of using. But different hospitals might have different policies. I suggest calling the maternity ward where you plan to deliver and ask how they handle it all.

DiannaVB 02-14-2013 01:56 PM

Mine had ready to use formula and disposable nipples provided but only offered one brand.

stevensmom 02-14-2013 01:57 PM

the best thing to do is call and ask :)

Hungry Caterpillar 02-14-2013 02:17 PM

You will need to call and ask. When my milk didn't come in, we were given a choice of three kinds of Enfamil, 3 kinds of Similac, and Gerber Goodstart. They came in the two ounce nurser bottles and had individually wrapped one-use nipples. Different hospitals have different relationships with formula companies so if you have a particular thing you want to use, bring it with you, and then if they have it there, great, use it and bill to insurance. Otherwise at least you have what you want.

my2sweets 02-14-2013 04:15 PM

Depends on the hospital. With the girls they offered me similac or enfamil(the gift bags to take home but also gave me some nursers with disposable nipples). Yhe hospital I had ds at doesnt give out the gift bags and since I was trying to nurse they didnt give/offer me anything. However when we went back the day after we were discharged for a blood draw and they discovered he had lost so much weight and wasnt giving dirty/wet diapers since we left more 24hrs earlier they just hurried out of the room and brought back some similac nursers(they did encourage me to give 'just one bottle then nurse' but didnt ask what brand I wanted).

BigSamsMom 02-14-2013 04:32 PM

BFing Mom here that is totally supportive of the choice to FF! Call your hospital to find out what brands they offer, they will dole them out to you in RTF 2-3 ounce bottles with disposable nipples. If the hospital doesn't carry the brand you wish to start with, you can bring your own, but I highly recommend splurging and bringing the same 2-3 ounce RTF bottles the hospital uses, so you aren't dealing with mixing and bottle cleaning at the hospital. Even though I BF, I order a case of Gerber Good Start Gentle RTF 3 ounce bottles from Amazon before I deliver, and here is why: If you have a hospital birth, chances are it will be medicated/assisted in some shape or form. This sets your newbie up for BFing difficulties from the get go, generally they are too sleepy to nurse, can't latch well, etc., which sets them up for not getting enough of the precious few teaspoons of colostrum your breasts produce the first few days, to rid their bodies of the bilirubin that causes jaundice. The test for jaundice requires a blood test, gained by a very painful pricking of your newbie's heel, and sometime they have to prick twice!!! I can't stand this, I can't bear seeing my babies pricked over and over again, and most BF babies do generally leave the hospital jaundiced, requiring a check up with your Ped within 24-48 hours of discharge - only to get another heel prick unless your Ped can visibly see the jaundice is taking care of itself. The big advantage of FFing from the get go, is that you quickly reduce your newbie's chances of developing jaundice - they are taking more in per feeding than their BFing counterparts and they pass their meconium much more quickly. So I slipped both my boys a bottle or two of Good Start, as soon as they had latched successfully to my breast, to save them the torture of jaundice and heel pricks. I chose Good Start Gentle, because most of my friends FF, and from hearing their experiences over and over again, it seems to be the one milk based formula that most sensitive/colicky/relflux/GERD/fussy babes can handle before having to try costly hypoallergenic and elemental formulas. There is also the added advantage that most store brands of formula will offer one that mimicks Good Start Gentle, and that will save you $$ in the long run. Now for the not-so-good news about starting FFing in the hospital.... I haven't had a single FFing friend come home from the hospital without telling me that they felt the hospital staff overwhelmed them with pressure to BF, at least for the first few days, so the baby can get the colostrum. Some were even guilted in to "trying" BFing, when it was not what they wanted to do. So be prepared for this, stay strong, and stand your ground. I'll be the first to tell you that BFing isn't all it's chalked up to be, it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and I personally can't possibly do it without the random bottle of formula every now and then. Even though the Breast is Best campaign seems to be en vogue in all US hospitals nowadays, we've got a looooong way to go, culturally, before all Moms can successfully breastfeed their babies the full recommended year. Namely we will need longer maternity leaves and spouses/families that realize they will be waiting hand and foot on a nursing mother and newborn for the first 6-8 weeks. Hospitals will need to become more patient and allow time for an un-medicated birth to happen, instead of intervening from the get go. Anyways...enough of my soap box. PM me when you give birth, if you need advice on drying up your milk, since I have noted that hospitals and Doctors do a very poor job of this. Best of luck to you Momma!

anne_josh 02-14-2013 07:59 PM

If you don't bring your own you will have to use what is provided to you and it is usually just one kind. At our hospital it is similac only, the plain stuff, no other option. I did BF both but had to supplement in the beginning and that is what we used; the hospital was very nice about giving us some extra samples, and I believe most of them are like that.

Also! If you want to give your baby colostrum (the hospital staff will probably talk to you about that) you don't have to do it via bf, it works just fine to put the colostrum on a pacifier or bottle nipple. Any extra immune boost is a good idea, especially during cold and flu season.

Sarah-B 02-14-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne_josh
If you don't bring your own you will have to use what is provided to you and it is usually just one kind. At our hospital it is similac only, the plain stuff, no other option. I did BF both but had to supplement in the beginning and that is what we used; the hospital was very nice about giving us some extra samples, and I believe most of them are like that.

Also! If you want to give your baby colostrum (the hospital staff will probably talk to you about that) you don't have to do it via bf, it works just fine to put the colostrum on a pacifier or bottle nipple. Any extra immune boost is a good idea, especially during cold and flu season.

This! On a paci or a bottle nipple is a great idea!
And also many hospitals like the pp mentioned will pressure you to breast feed.

If I were you I would buy organic (NON GMO -non genetically modified) based off of this life changing documentary I watched yesterday called Genetic Roulette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n6s...e_gdata_player

Congrats on your new baby!!