Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Preemie Formula questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491877)

L&MsMamma 02-14-2013 11:59 PM

Preemie Formula questions

Hey Ladies (TIA for taking the time to read this book)

I am asking this question for a friend, whom I would really love to help. One of my dearest friends is fost-adopting a baby (her first) and having some formula trouble, and I EBF my kids so I don't know anything about formula but would love to get some answers for her. She is totally overwhelmed so I thought what better place to get helpful info than all of you wonderful ladies.

Background, her son is 6.5 weeks old and she has had him for a week now (again she is fost-adopting him). There seems to be some confusion with hospital paperwork as to whether he was born at 32 weeks or 37 weeks. He is very healthy and all paperwork seems to show that he has been super healthy since his birth. He is very small 6.5 lbs, but otherwise thriving. However, the poor little guy keeps alternating between poopin several times an hour and being super constipated. He has the sadest rash that won't go away because he is always pooping (she is going through an unreal amount of diapers and cream, and it is still persisting from the constant pooping) he is always grunting and pulling his knees in, and isn't sleeping well because of all these things. Needless to say it is very sad for both mom and baby.

She assumed, as I would, that these were symptoms that maybe he needs to change formula, but when she called the pediatrician, all they said was that he can't change formula because he has to be on preemie formula and there is only one preemie formula, and hopefully he'll eventually get used to it, (not a very helpful or thourough answere but all the info she keeps getting no matter how many times she calls. She is just concerned that he might not be actually retaining proper nutrients if he is having so much diarrea and can't imagine that he is magically going to be fine on this formual all of a sudden in the near future.

Any input would be helpful but here are my specific questions. What is the difference between preemie formula and regular formula? Why is it so important for him to be on preemie formula? Any other thoughts on the situation would be great :) she is going to start adding a probiotic to his formula and see if that helps...

tjs77tsa 02-15-2013 12:42 AM

Re: Preemie Formula questions

The same thing happened to my son with the preemie formula and they are very strict about not changing it they said my son had to stay on it for a year. The Dr's explanation to me was that it has more calories and extra nutrients to help develop things that may not have had time to develop because they were born early. That said I took my son off of it at 6 months he weighed 20lbs at that time and was a health happy baby. I did not tell them I took him off of it because I didn't want to argue. I would not worry that he is not getting the nutrition he needs as long as he is gaining weight and and is not fussy. For the rash I would get something with a high percentage of zinc oxide like original formula Desitin NOT the creamy and put it on really thick also do not try to wipe it all off during diaper changes it will just make the rash worse from rubbing.

L&MsMamma 02-15-2013 12:49 AM

She is using the desetin and even that isn't helping much :( I just tried to look online and the only real difference I saw was number of calories...if its just about gaining weight I don't get it....correct me if I'm wrong but I thought preemies have adjusted milestones for a lot of things so why not weight? My kids, both full term have been under 16 lbs at a year but totally healthy. Or if they just want them to have more calories couldn't they just eat more oz of a formula that doesn't cause so many issues? Again I'm totally ignorant here just askin what comes to mind.

L&MsMamma 02-15-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjs77tsa
The same thing happened to my son with the preemie formula and they are very strict about not changing it they said my son had to stay on it for a year. The Dr's explanation to me was that it has more calories and extra nutrients to help develop things that may not have had time to develop because they were born early. That said I took my son off of it at 6 months he weighed 20lbs at that time and was a health happy baby. I did not tell them I took him off of it because I didn't want to argue. I would not worry that he is not getting the nutrition he needs as long as he is gaining weight and and is not fussy. For the rash I would get something with a high percentage of zinc oxide like original formula Desitin NOT the creamy and put it on really thick also do not try to wipe it all off during diaper changes it will just make the rash worse from rubbing.

Oh and I meant to say thanks for your input I'm glad to hear that you went with your gut and that your son is doing just fine!

7 for now 02-15-2013 09:27 PM

My dd's had allergy related diaper rashes that literally made them peel and bleed. Calmoseptine is the only cream that worked for us. You may have to ask the pharmacist or go to a medical supply store. It is used frequently as a barrier around stomas. Our ped GI turned us onto it. I have gotten it at Walgreens before but behind the pharmacy counter, but it is NOT prescription. It is kind of pricey but works wonders.

My son is also on preemie formula. There are actually three kinds. My son is on Enfamil Enfacare, there is also Similac Neosure, and Gerber Goodstart Nourish. They do have different vitamin and mineral contents, not just higher calories. They are designed to replace those particular vitamins and minerals they would have gotten in utero the last few months of pregnancy.

Maybe try another brand. She may have order it online

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

hbee 02-16-2013 11:23 AM

DD was born at 35 weeks and was on Similac Neosure for 3 months.

bwsmommy 02-16-2013 07:11 PM

My preemie who is now almost 6 was on my bm as well as neosure so it was mixed for a higher calorie content .. and at 2 months old he was broke out from head to toe in a rash .. it was ezema(sp) due to milk and soy allergy ... we only found this out after the dr done a stool sample and found blood in his stool .. he also had mucusy(sp) bms (the acid and allergy would cause his butt to blister and bleed) . We stayed at the childrens hospital 17 days - 10 of those days was spent with him on iv's clearing the formula and bm from his system .. by the end of 10 days his rash was gone . They started him on Elecare which is kinda like Neocate (amino acid free - no milk and no soy) and i had to mix it a certain way to make sure it was a higher calorie .. im thinking like to 24 or 26 cal ... so it can be done .. I would get your friend to ask to see a G.I. dr and i also agree with the pp above about Calmoseptine its what the G.I. dr prescribed my son .. sorry for all the typos .. bfing as i type !

bwsmommy 02-16-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwsmommy (Post 16297572)
My preemie who is now almost 6 was on my bm as well as neosure so it was mixed for a higher calorie content .. and at 2 months old he was broke out from head to toe in a rash .. it was ezema(sp) due to milk and soy allergy ... we only found this out after the dr done a stool sample and found blood in his stool .. he also had mucusy(sp) bms (the acid and allergy would cause his butt to blister and bleed) . We stayed at the childrens hospital 17 days - 10 of those days was spent with him on iv's clearing the formula and bm from his system .. by the end of 10 days his rash was gone . They started him on Elecare which is kinda like Neocate (amino acid free - no milk and no soy) and i had to mix it a certain way to make sure it was a higher calorie .. im thinking like to 24 or 26 cal ... so it can be done .. I would get your friend to ask to see a G.I. dr and i also agree with the pp above about Calmoseptine its what the G.I. dr prescribed my son .. sorry for all the typos .. bfing as i type !

EDIT -I JUST LOOKED AND IT WAS 24 CAL I MIXED IT TO !!

L&MsMamma 02-16-2013 07:23 PM

Thank you for the responses I just told her about the rash cream!!! She is also going to call the dr. Arne with slightly more knowledge this time!

L&MsMamma 02-16-2013 07:27 PM

*armed