Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   KitchenAid Vs. Breville (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491892)

Only 02-15-2013 06:29 AM

KitchenAid Vs. Breville

I've been dreaming of a stand mixer practically since I was born. ;)

KitchenAid seems to be the most popular, but I also noticed Breville has been recommended,too. I also read the KitchenAid quality has tanked, though I'm not sure how accurate that is since it has good reviews.

Which do you have? Do you love it or wish you'd gone with another brand?

3 ladybugs 02-15-2013 06:40 AM

Re: KitchenAid Vs. Breville

I have a KA and I HATE it. The attachments are a joke, because the machine doesn't like them. Every time I make bread I am just waiting for smoke to come out of it and stop working. I have the Artistan. It is really nice to look at, but my kitchen is TOO small to have something out that is barely functional. I am on my 3rd machine and I use it sparingly. This machine I got under warranty. I didn't purchase it 3 times.

I have an uncle who had the same problems as me. He went to an industrial KA. I want to get off the KA brand completely. In fact when we purchased a dishwasher last year, I refused to get anything made by, or by KA. Yeah my mixer is THAT bad.

If I were to get a mixer right now that is about the same price point as a KA I would get a Bosch. But that is only because I have only heard good things about them. I am even in a yahoo group that talks about mixers so I see how well they all like them too.

Good luck in your search. I know some people LOVE their KA and odds are they will tell you I am nuts. But honestly I got my KA 10 years ago because like you I thought it was the be all end all and I was SORELY let down. Too bad too because I have several attachments and used to use it grind hamburger. I can't do that anymore without risking loosing my whole machine.

kalapolo 02-15-2013 06:57 AM

I have a hand-me-down KA mixer from my Mom. It's old, but it still works great (used very frequently its entire life). I haven't had any issues using the meat grinder attachment with it either and also use it regularly for baking/bread making. My Mom has had one of the larger ones without the tilt top for probably close to 10 years and hasn't had any issues with that one either.

kalapolo 02-15-2013 06:57 AM

I have a hand-me-down KA mixer from my Mom. It's old, but it still works great (used very frequently its entire life). I haven't had any issues using the meat grinder attachment with it either and also use it regularly for baking/bread making. My Mom has had one of the larger ones without the tilt top for probably close to 10 years and hasn't had any issues with that one either.

kalapolo 02-15-2013 06:58 AM

I have a hand-me-down KA mixer from my Mom. It's old, but it still works great (used very frequently its entire life). I haven't had any issues using the meat grinder attachment with it either and also use it regularly for baking/bread making. My Mom has had one of the larger ones without the tilt top for probably close to 10 years and hasn't had any issues with that one either. HTH!

ProudCoastieWife 02-15-2013 07:07 AM

I have the KA artisan tilt top and I absolutely love it! My grandma has the lift stand mixer and isn't crazy about it. She has the tilt top at the house in WI and keeps saying she's going to switch out next time she goes back but always forgets! All the women in my family use KA and we haven't personally had any problems! Good luck in your decision! :goodvibes:

Nandis 02-15-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16291365)
I have a KA and I HATE it. The attachments are a joke, because the machine doesn't like them. Every time I make bread I am just waiting for smoke to come out of it and stop working. I have the Artistan. It is really nice to look at, but my kitchen is TOO small to have something out that is barely functional. I am on my 3rd machine and I use it sparingly. This machine I got under warranty. I didn't purchase it 3 times.

I have an uncle who had the same problems as me. He went to an industrial KA. I want to get off the KA brand completely. In fact when we purchased a dishwasher last year, I refused to get anything made by, or by KA. Yeah my mixer is THAT bad.

If I were to get a mixer right now that is about the same price point as a KA I would get a Bosch. But that is only because I have only heard good things about them. I am even in a yahoo group that talks about mixers so I see how well they all like them too.

Good luck in your search. I know some people LOVE their KA and odds are they will tell you I am nuts. But honestly I got my KA 10 years ago because like you I thought it was the be all end all and I was SORELY let down. Too bad too because I have several attachments and used to use it grind hamburger. I can't do that anymore without risking loosing my whole machine.

Jennifer may well be nuts. But I guess we're hangin' in the same tree. I am also a KA mixer slayer. I've killed 3 610 professional models and have my 4th one from warranty. I hardly ever use it because its whimpy, noisy, and occasionally smokes. A Bosch would be cool but I am really leaning towards a 12 or 20 qt. Hobart. Yes I know that sounds huge but so is my family, so I need something that will work hard and last. I think a hobart N50 would be an awesome machine to get if you have your heart set on the look of a KA, but want a reliable workhorse machine. But that's just me. I'm sure there are 1000 ppl who could jump in and wax poetic about their artisan and how much they love it. Jennifer and I will just chill over here in the cuckoo hut. ;)

mama_to_DJM 02-15-2013 10:24 AM

I have the KA Artisan, and I love it! I've used it almost daily for the past 4 1/2 years and have had zero problems with it, or any of the attachments (I have 4). Before that I used my grandma's old KA mixer, which is still going strong after 30 something years. It is the only brand of stand mixer I've ever used and I am completely satisfied with it!

sisu 02-17-2013 12:02 PM

We've killed two new KA stand mixers, how fortunate for the company that both were juuuust outside of the warranty period. :rolleyes: We are now using DH's grandma's KA from the early 70's and while this thing totally rocks my kitchen, I doubt we'll ever buy a new KA ever again. Anything else, ha.

Only 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

Now, I am stumped as to which one I want! Boo.