Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Forgetting proper latch? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492175)

omahonycm 02-16-2013 01:26 AM

Forgetting proper latch?

My DD is 5mo and has had a great latch since day 1. We've almost never used a bottle (she won't take one), and she's done great up until a few days ago. Now it's starting to hurt again, it's almost like a clicking feeling? She opens wide, has the fish lips, chin in the right position and is aligned. What in the world is going on? I nursed DD1 for 7mo and don't remover anything like this. It is worse on one side than the other. Any ideas?

BigSamsMom 02-16-2013 03:00 AM

Re: Forgetting proper latch?

Do you have a strong/overactive letdown? She could be bending your nipple back with her tongue, to slow the flow. But how you describe it sounds like she may have gone more shallow on the latch and she is compressing your nipple on her hard palate, rather than her soft palate. Do you notice a lipstick shape to your nipple when she unlatches? Is it a pinchy feeling while nursing? Really study the next time you nurse, it doesn't take much movement for her to get too shallow, you'll notice more of your areola is out of her mouth than normal, but it may not look like a huge difference from the outside. Just feel the roof of your own mouth, in a good latch the nipple would be just past the ridge of the hard palate, and you can feel how DD just taking in milimeters less of your areola/nipple, can easily cause pain.
I would think by now you'd know if she had a tongue or lip tie, which can also cause the type of pain you describe. Some posterior tongue ties can be tricky to see though. Stranger things have happened. We didn't notice DS2's obvious tongue tie until he was 6 weeks old and we were trying introduce a bottle and he couldn't latch on to it. Prior to that I had only had pinchy pain in my right nipple sometimes, and I just wrote it off to possible poor positioning at the breast.

tibeca 02-16-2013 10:59 AM

DD3 has decided it is fun to pinch my nipple in her mouth. GRR. It is quite painful and everything looks normal. Usually she only does it if she isn't actually interested in nursing.

abunchoflemons 02-16-2013 12:42 PM

I know starting our on my third baby it hurt as my nipple was hard like I was cold and it was cracking a bit but now it is better and eats like a champ like my seconds baby. first read awful. I nursed second til 14 months when I got pregnant with my third now that's here. coils it be not far enough back on areola or like a milk increase. I know my breass were temporary tender when milk was investing especially for my boy here. oldest latch was pod so my milk dried up and I wasengorged all the time as I was trying to pump and her latch was bad nut helping make more.... as o have to say I had to formula feed my oldest after 3 to 6 months.......

omahonycm 02-16-2013 10:21 PM

It might be the let down, as she does it when she's drinking hard and hungrily. Not sure if there's anything I can do. Oh well.

crunchymom2b 02-20-2013 09:02 AM

I've noticed the same thing since he's had a tooth begun to come in. He bites me with his gums and it hurts like heck. He's not opening wide enough. How do you fix this though???

omahonycm 02-21-2013 06:20 AM

I have no idea. I guess maybe just relatch when it starts hurting?