Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I dont want to suffocate my baby while nursing him! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492333)

tuxgirl 02-16-2013 05:46 PM

I dont want to suffocate my baby while nursing him!

I'm just nervous about this. There have been a few times in the past few days when DS has managed to suction his nose to my breast. I've always noticed pretty quickly (within a few seconds), but I'm scared that one of these nights I'm going to fall asleep nursing him, and he's going to get suffocated. He doesn't pull off in the couple of seconds that he can't breath, just kinda sucks in this giant breath after I pull back my breast.

What can I do to prevent this (besides hopefully lose some size up there). I'm just getting really nervous about this. It's particularly bad if I try to nurse lying down. Currently, I have to keep my other hand in place holding my breast back any time I nurse lying down, or else he can't breath!

qsefthuko 02-16-2013 05:49 PM

Re: I dont want to suffocate my baby while nursing him!

I would have baby lying up higher so his nose would be above my breast. This means pointing up instead of out or even down.

abunchoflemons 02-16-2013 06:23 PM

can you recline & nurse (tummy to tummy but instead of side by side you are in sitting position like)?

my chest is about size of my little ones heads & i just end up arching back so nose isn't burried in my breast at night or hold it.

Mom2jandb 02-16-2013 07:09 PM

When you are lying down, try to angle your body so that you and LO make a V (scoot your hips towards his legs) rather than being parallel. This should create a little more space between your boob and his nose. It really helped me. I was always afraid to suffocate DD while sleeping.

BeccaSueCongdon 02-16-2013 07:36 PM

Google "laid back nursing" and "biological nurturing" for info and tips on breast feeding positions that will prevent your breast from obscuring his airway. There may be some videos on YouTube.

birdinhand 02-16-2013 08:10 PM

The more you pull his hips/legs to you and back off his top part, the better he should be able to breathe and have the control to move his head/nose back.

Mom2jandb 02-16-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdinhand
The more you pull his hips/legs to you and back off his top part, the better he should be able to breathe and have the control to move his head/nose back.

Yeah, that's another way of saying what I was trying to say, lol.

birdinhand 02-16-2013 08:53 PM

A lot of us are saying the same thing, it is hard to say it and visualize it -- I figued with all of our descriptions together, we could get the point across, lol.

EmilytheStrange 02-16-2013 10:35 PM

wow... as a small breasted woman.. this is not a problem I ever anticipated!

good luck momma!

tuxgirl 02-16-2013 11:40 PM

Thanks, all! I really appreciate it. I'm going to experiment a bit during the daytime to see what I can figure out for tomorrow night. For tonight, I think I'm just going to sit up to nurse, because I really think if I try to nurse lying down tonight, I will probably conk out hard...

And I am really jealous of those who don't have to worry about it! :)