Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adoption and Foster Care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Clothing Allowence (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492334)

n_kragh 02-16-2013 05:49 PM

Clothing Allowence

Here's the scenario - I am wondering what you would do.

2 kids in placement - 9 months and 21 months - brothers.

We get $425 per child for a clothing allowence, but it HAS to be used in the first 60 days of placement.

When the boys were initially sent to us it wasn't a legal placement. Parents agreed to have them with us. This was on Dec. 21. We weren't sure if it would be short term or what, so, I borrowed clothing for both of them. Now, they have been legally in placement through the county since January 4th.

I have enough clothes to get the 21 month old through the summer and have bought enough to get the 9 month old through the summer. I have a few hundred left for each of them.

So, what should I do?? Do I keep planning ahead and get 3T stuff for next fall/winter? The younger one will grow into the older ones stuff next winter. We have no idea if they will be here for 1 more month or 1 more year.

What would YOU do?? Thanks all.

qsefthuko 02-16-2013 06:00 PM

Re: Clothing Allowence

That is a lot of money. My neices clothing with 5 outfits, 2 dresses, and 2 pairs of pjs were $15 plus taxes.

I guess if it has to be spent on clothing I would go ahead and buy ahead on the projected sizes they would be expected to wear. It just seems like a waste of money.

~*~Sunflower~*~ 02-16-2013 06:05 PM

Yeah, just buy ahead. Also, shoes, coats,etc.

Here, clothing allowance money can go to diapers,too. Not sure if it is the same there...

hopetc 02-16-2013 07:00 PM

Shoes - average is 3 months per 1/2 size. Sandals for summer if they are available yet.
Swim outfits - they are showing up around here.

425 seems like a lot for the tiny ones....for a teen I bet it would go real fast!

Msheidiann 02-17-2013 09:29 AM

WOW! That's a lot! I would plan ahead if they have enough for now and summer. The clothing will go with the kiddos regardless, so at least they will have them later.

WynneBabies 02-17-2013 01:13 PM

Wow. We are in the same state and get $150 initially IF the CW approves it. I'd buy ahead too. What else can you do but not use it? I would buy a coupe nicer name brand things that are more expensive just for the fun of it. I love Mini Boden's little boy clothing, but it's pricey to buy a lot of it. Unfortunately it's hard to estimate with shoes, but I'd try to estimate and get some sandals for summer.

Melinda29 02-17-2013 06:39 PM

I would also maybe get them each a nice backback with their initials emboriodered on them (so future foster siblings or whoever won't steal them) to use as "suitcases" for now, but as school bags later. I think LL Bean is a great brand. I know the kiddos I worked with when I was a case manager always carried their clothes in garbage bags :( . I mean, I know that is functional, but I couldn't help thinking it would make a child feel like trash :(

But yes, In that case I would get him 3T coat, snowpants, waterproof snowboots (double as snow boots and rain boots), swim shorts, sandals, etc. and I would get really nice brands so they WILL last to be handed down.

n_kragh 02-17-2013 08:00 PM

$425 is just for the 0-11. ages 12-14 get 718. and 15-18 get $812. I wonder how it can be different in the same state???

luvsviola 02-17-2013 08:17 PM

Wow. I got nothing when we got DS. :) That's awesome. I'd buy ahead, including shoes, jackets, and coats.

Malenkaya 02-18-2013 01:31 PM

I'm still new to all this, but that sounds like a lot! Is this a yearly budget or how long is that supposed to last?