Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bedwetting EVERY night at 7 years old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492374)

DesertRat 02-16-2013 08:55 PM

Bedwetting EVERY night at 7 years old

I know bedwetting is "normal" and that it's not even considered a problem by doctors until age 8 or so. I have not really worried about DS. He wears underjams every night and pees every single night, often still soaking sheets. We don't make a big deal out of it at all, though he sometimes says he wishes he could stay dry at night.

However, I'm not sure DS is even a "normal" bedwetter. Even now, at age 7, if he falls asleep for ANY length of time, he pees. For example, if we're on a car trip and he falls sleep he WILL pee within an hour. If we think he's going to fall asleep, we stop and put underjams on him. He wasn't feeling well tonight and fell asleep early. An hour later I went to wake him up to put an underjams on and he'd already peed in his bed.

About a year or so ago I bought a bedwetting alarm. We only tried it a couple times, but he was IMPOSSIBLE to wake up. In the morning he didn't remember us trying to get him to pee. He's a very heavy sleeper. And I wonder if he just relaxes too much. Reading online it says that one cause of bedwetting can be lack of a hormone that is produced at night. However, on the rare occasion he falls asleep during the middle of the day, he still wets. So I don't think it's lack of this hormone at night causing his problems.

In 7 years he's been drying maybe 3 or 4 times. I don't see this as something he's going to outgrow anytime soon. Any thoughts or advice or experience?

stacieandtheboys 02-16-2013 09:03 PM

My middle son is 7 and still wets the bed at night. He has never ha a dry night. I mentioned my concern to his doctor and like you said they aren't concerned until past 8. My oldest son also wet the bed until age 8. We do trials of no goodnight and never have any luck. We did this with my oldest too and one night he just got it. So no advice your not alone :)

omahamama731 02-16-2013 09:05 PM

With my oldest I had her wear underwear and put underjams on top. the underwear stayed wet but the underjams absorbed, and when she felt the wetness and/or chill she woke up. It still took a couple of weeks but she stopped wetting at night.

mmmom 02-16-2013 09:05 PM

Could he be constipated? I have heard this can be a cause of bed wetting?

My daughter is 7 and just in the last 9 months has she been consistently dry. The turning point for her was when her paediatrician paid her to stay dry. He asked us to print a blank calendar and in the morning we wrote either a D or a W on it depending on if she was wet or dry. If she was able to obtain 7 d's in the 30 days he said he would give her $1 and if she got to 14 d's she would get $2.
He paid her $2 after the first 30 days and the kept it up for 6 months adding to the number of d's required to earn the $2.
At the end of the 6 months she was required to get 20 d's and got 29 so we told her she earned the new bed sheets she wanted and we were done with the calendars.
She has accidents here and there over the last 3 months so it isn't 100% but it definitely worked

DesertRat 02-16-2013 09:18 PM

Re: Bedwetting EVERY night at 7 years old

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmom (Post 16297951)
Could he be constipated? I have heard this can be a cause of bed wetting?

I read that too. And no, he's not constipated. He actually has a fructose intolerance (so fruits and HFCS) that gives him diarrhea. He is never constipated!

mmmom 02-16-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat

I read that too. And no, he's not constipated. He actually has a fructose intolerance (so fruits and HFCS) that gives him diarrhea. He is never constipated!

What have you tried?
Do you wake him before you go to bed or a couple hours after he does and take him to the bathroom?
We had success with that; kind of. We bought dd to bed at 8pm, I would wake her at 11pm and take her to the bathroom. If she peed she was often dry in the morning. The side effect to this was she was cranky and miserable since her sleep was interrupted

sillymama 02-16-2013 09:25 PM

Bed wetting is so frustrating, and having to wait until 8 years old to consider it an issue drives me crazy. My 6 year old has never had a dry night. She almost never sleeps during the day so we don't have the same issue as your son. She started having terrible reactions to wearing goodnights to the point that her bum looked like she had cystic acne. For the past 3 months we have been waking her up 3 to 4 times a night to take her to the bathroom. In the beginning I was hoping it would "train" her bladder but absolutely nothing has changed. My mother, sister, and one of my brothers all had bed wetting issues until puberty and the thought of having to deal with this for another 6 years is heart breaking. I know my daughter hates it too. She hated wearing a pull-up and wished all the time he didn't have too. Even though she can be ornery to wake up in the middle of the night I know she loves being able to wear underwear to bed.

OptoMom 02-16-2013 09:29 PM

We've been battling this forever as well with my daughter who is now 11.5. We took her to a pediatric urologist and they measured all her parts in an ultra sound to make sure everything was okay there, then did an MRI (I think- I'm not medically inclined) and they showed me all the poop backed up through her system. It was horrible and I had no idea. She was clearly at an age where I wasn't looking at or having any reason to give it a second thought. She thought it was normal for poop to be hard and never saud anything to me. This was in the 3rd grade. 2 years later we are still dealing with it. They say it could take years for her muscles to regain strength because they are so stretched out they can't hold the pee in. She wears an alarm every night, we cut out a lot of dairy, added fruits and veggies to every snack, and she is supposed to take Miralax daily. Hope that helps.

painter412 02-16-2013 09:46 PM

doctor... time to check biologicals

DesertRat 02-16-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmom (Post 16298002)
What have you tried?
Do you wake him before you go to bed or a couple hours after he does and take him to the bathroom?
We had success with that; kind of. We bought dd to bed at 8pm, I would wake her at 11pm and take her to the bathroom. If she peed she was often dry in the morning. The side effect to this was she was cranky and miserable since her sleep was interrupted

Honestly, we haven't really tried anything. I suggested not drinking water before bedtime but we haven't been consistent with that. And the couple times we tried to wake him up to go to the bathroom he just won't wake up. Because of the way he pees automatically anytime he falls asleep, I've assumed it's mostly out of his control. I haven't wanted to discourage him by setting him up to fail. But maybe that's been the wrong approach.