Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newbie spitting up (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492441)

babyike2011 02-17-2013 09:18 AM

Newbie spitting up

My lo is 2 weeks old and I pump for her. She was a little early and is just starting to latch on to the boobie:)anywho, she spits up ALOT. Like every feeding and sometimes an hour after. She takes 2-3oz every 2-3 hours. I use the slowest flow nipple and burp her often. She's very hard to burp and she toots a lot. Is the spit up normal? I have only used formula with my other 3 so I'm in the dark here:(

mibarra 02-17-2013 09:37 AM

Are you eating lots of 'gassy' foods? What kind of bottles?

babyike2011 02-17-2013 09:47 AM

I haven't eaten any gassy foods, well other than last night I had a bit of Brussel sprouts. I don't drink milk, but I do eat yogurt and some cheese. I also use cream in my single cup of coffee. As for bottles, we use either dr. Browns or gerber bottles. She seems to gag and choke with feedngs too. She is gaining weight and not overly fussy. We have her 2 week check up Tuesday so I will talk with her doc. Could it be reflux?

aylasmommy 02-17-2013 10:00 AM

If she is gagging at feedings, I would try a slower nipple, maybe a different bottle? Spit up is completely normal and I wouldn't worry about it unless its projectile or seems to be causing her pain.

tinytushi 02-17-2013 11:22 AM

Re: Newbie spitting up

My son had severe reflux diagnosed through barium test. He did not act like he was in severe pain but he spit up practically the whole entire amount he had just eaten and was not properly gaining weight. I would speak with your pediatrician. When my son was a little older (6 wks.?) is when he started showing signs that he was in pain.

babyike2011 02-17-2013 11:24 AM

Any bottle recommendations? I thought about getting a Calma bottle but they are so expensive...the flow does seem too fast but they're stage 1 nipples...

mibarra 02-17-2013 11:57 AM

Dr. Browns makes preemie flow nipples for their standard neck bottle. You may have to get them online. Gagging and choking is probably causing baby to swallow air, hence spitting up and gassiness. You can also try feeding almost upright.

mmeneely 02-17-2013 12:57 PM

Re: Newbie spitting up

Also Born Free glass is a nice choice. You only need one bottle - wash it once you're done.
That babe sounds like there is something you need to not eat - not all of us can take yogurt and be aware of it. Could you nix that as well?

snoggle 02-17-2013 01:10 PM

I know lots of mom's who swear by Playtex Nursers. It's the only bottle my boy will take reliably!

MamaWeeks 02-17-2013 01:30 PM

Maybe try feeding less each time, breastfed babies don't need to drink as much each time, I remember reading on the LLL forum that they only need 2oz per feeding when formula babies may need 4oz. I don't mean limit her to 2oz even when she is starving, just keep in mind that its okay for her to not finish the whole bottle.
There was an article I read that was very useful when I started BF with this one, I'll try to find it again.