Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Did your LO regain weight by 2 weeks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492517)

Green Decals 02-17-2013 02:19 PM

Did your LO regain weight by 2 weeks?

DD is 11 days old. She was 8# 11oz at birth, dropped to 7# 14oz by day 3, back up to 8# 1oz at day 4, and the highest I can get her is 8# 1.5oz on a full belly. Today she is 7#15oz. Apparently she needs to be back to birth weight by 2 weeks. It's just not going to happen! My other two took 6 weeks to regain birth weight. Are my kids just like that, or has anyone else experienced the same thing?

We feed on demand, I pump after feedings and give her what I pump through an SNS. She sleeps well, is alert for long periods, pees and poops a TON and is a happy baby. I didn't have IV fluids or anything during my labor that would artificially inflate her birth weight. I did try feeding on an every-2-hour schedule (around the clock) but she lost 1 ounce in the process, so we are back to on demand.

Anyone else experience the same thing? DH points to our two older kids and how healthy and robust they are and tells me to throw away the scale. Help!

juliasmom 02-17-2013 02:29 PM

Hugs! Give it a few days before you worry. A big feeding or poop could be 3 oz one way our the other. I think it is great she was a big baby to start...it seems like that should give a bit of buffer just in case you don't see the desired weight gain at 2 weeks.

Nerissa 02-17-2013 02:38 PM

Re: Did your LO regain weight by 2 weeks?

No. DD was 8.7 at birth and dropped to 7.15. She was still 7.15 at her two week check up. Our ped wanted her at ner birth weight by 4 weeks. I only feed on demand, no extra given.

evasimone 02-17-2013 02:49 PM

Mine didn't and it was a sign that breastfeeding wasn't going well and she wasn't getting enough. I ended up pumping and feeding and she gained 10 oz in one week after being fed my pumped milk. What does your pediatrician say? Also if this is how all of your other children were and they were okay maybe its normal for you.

I just know for us it was the sign of big breastfeeding issues, I have a monstrous thread on here called "please help me keep going". My DD had enough wet diapers but not enough dirties and was alert and awake for long periods too. But once she started gaining I noticed a difference, her diapers were really soaked and more frequent and she was more alert.

qsefthuko 02-17-2013 03:07 PM

Does she nurse both sides during a nursing session? If so can you encourage her to stay as long as possible on one side so she can get more of the rich, fatty hind milk? I know there are things you can do to improve the caloric and fat content of your milk. Perhaps someone can add that. I don't remember what it is myself.

songbird516 02-17-2013 05:17 PM

Make sure that you're eating lots of nutrient-dense foods (I say this a lot, I feel!!) like coconut oil/milk, butter, eggs or egg yolks, and whole grains like oatmeal. That will help the nutrient content of your milk. Also, don't drink too much water. Sub milk, almond milk, broth...things with actual calories and nutrients and fluid. I mean, drink when you're thirsty but the mantra to drink lots of fluid probably doesn't help the density of your milk, which can be important if you're worried about baby's weight gain.

Both of my babies gained 1 pound per week for the first 3 months.

Green Decals 02-17-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evasimone (Post 16299948)
Mine didn't and it was a sign that breastfeeding wasn't going well and she wasn't getting enough. I ended up pumping and feeding and she gained 10 oz in one week after being fed my pumped milk. What does your pediatrician say? Also if this is how all of your other children were and they were okay maybe its normal for you.

I just know for us it was the sign of big breastfeeding issues, I have a monstrous thread on here called "please help me keep going". My DD had enough wet diapers but not enough dirties and was alert and awake for long periods too. But once she started gaining I noticed a difference, her diapers were really soaked and more frequent and she was more alert.

I just read through your thread. :hugs: My older 2 had posterior tongue tie, my second has a speech delay which we think is related. He also has a high palate and it took a great deal of work with a kinesiologist to move his tongue forward enough to nurse pain-free. This little gal has zero issues in the tongue department! She has a great latch and nurses effectively, she just isn't gaining. I pump after almost every feed and give her what I pump (about 2 ounces a day) through the SNS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16300009)
Does she nurse both sides during a nursing session? If so can you encourage her to stay as long as possible on one side so she can get more of the rich, fatty hind milk? I know there are things you can do to improve the caloric and fat content of your milk. Perhaps someone can add that. I don't remember what it is myself.

We switch nursing - I put her on the other side when she starts to get sleepy, so she gets each breast 2-3 times per feed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516 (Post 16300317)
Make sure that you're eating lots of nutrient-dense foods (I say this a lot, I feel!!) like coconut oil/milk, butter, eggs or egg yolks, and whole grains like oatmeal. That will help the nutrient content of your milk. Also, don't drink too much water. Sub milk, almond milk, broth...things with actual calories and nutrients and fluid. I mean, drink when you're thirsty but the mantra to drink lots of fluid probably doesn't help the density of your milk, which can be important if you're worried about baby's weight gain.

Both of my babies gained 1 pound per week for the first 3 months.

We follow WAPF diets, lots of raw milk and butter, fermented oatmeal, transfer meats... I have the book Motherfood which is amazingly supportive of a traditional diet :thumbsup: but I hadn't considered broth to substitute for water!

abunchoflemons 02-17-2013 06:58 PM

i think you will be ok. we were 9# birtbh & went to 7 something in few days im sure by tomorrow we are at least 9# if not more...i would stop weighing.... relax & breathe.

isabelsmummy 02-18-2013 01:13 AM

Mine did. dd2 actually never lost weight and was up by day 4. She was quite the porker in a couple of months.

But if you've already nursed 2 babies and it was the same I tend to think it's how your family grows.

dd1 was very tiny but I always figured as long as she was gaining from one week to the next that we were heading in the right direction.

songbird516 02-18-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Decals (Post 16300535)
I just read through your thread. :hugs: My older 2 had posterior tongue tie, my second has a speech delay which we think is related. He also has a high palate and it took a great deal of work with a kinesiologist to move his tongue forward enough to nurse pain-free. This little gal has zero issues in the tongue department! She has a great latch and nurses effectively, she just isn't gaining. I pump after almost every feed and give her what I pump (about 2 ounces a day) through the SNS.

We switch nursing - I put her on the other side when she starts to get sleepy, so she gets each breast 2-3 times per feed.

We follow WAPF diets, lots of raw milk and butter, fermented oatmeal, transfer meats... I have the book Motherfood which is amazingly supportive of a traditional diet :thumbsup: but I hadn't considered broth to substitute for water!

Sounds like you're doing the best you can diet-wise :) I'm sure you'll be fine! The next step might just be to make sure that you are eating enough. I know that it's easy with an infant and another child to forget to eat as much as you might need. I fall into that trap really easily, because I used to eat way too little out of misguided health-consciousness.