Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Increasing milk production (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492535)

Sassybottoms 02-17-2013 03:41 PM

Increasing milk production

I've heard of some teas that will increase milk production. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wasn't able to breastfeed my first 2 because of low milk production but would really like to make it work with my third.

birdinhand 02-17-2013 07:10 PM

Re: Increasing milk production

Barring a physical issue such as PCOS or Sheehan's Syndrome, the first and most important thing a mom can do to up her supply is offer the breast with enough frequency. There is no supplement or medication that can make up for the frequency issue. So if Baby is nursing 12-24 times in a day, that should be good if baby's latch is working well. Other impediments can be the use of a pacifier which satisfies some of Baby's sucking needs but doesn't stimulate Mom's body to produce milk. Babies can choose to pull out milk if hungry or suck non-nutritively, where they just suck to satisfy, but it still helps Mom's body.

So if all that is happening and there still isn't enough milk, you can try things like oatmeal, fenugreek, and even moving to domperidone if needed.

Hope it works for you this time! Keep trouble-shooting!

PBAki 02-17-2013 08:09 PM

+1 for Fenugreek extract. My wife's seen better results with Organic Mother's Milk which is a tea (smells okay...) while if you don't want to drink it you want to take the Fenugreek extract in capsule form. Just make sure it's the 'extract'; something like Gaia brand's Fenugreek is worth looking into.

Like any supplements though it may or may not work...

Sassybottoms 02-18-2013 08:15 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. My first one ended up back in the hospital due to dehydration after coming home. I continued to pump with a hospital grade breast pump to stimulate milk production but honestly the experience scared me so it was an easy decision to switch to formula. This time I have to qualms about asking for help:-)

l_Kimmie_l 02-18-2013 08:55 AM

I have PCOS and am on Metformin and reglan. I was on fenugreek, but stopped it once I felt that my supply was good. I was very nervous with this baby as he was not a good newbie nurser. Once he was 3 months old it got better and we were able to stop supplimenting.

birdinhand 02-18-2013 10:46 AM

Sometimes moms with PCOS have an overabundance of milk production, you never know how it will be.

Reglan does work well, but it isn't always recommended for women who have had any mood disorder issues as it can really exacerbate that. Dompierdone is more effective and has less side effects.

l_Kimmie_l 02-18-2013 10:56 AM

I have OCD but am medicated. I can say that reglan is covered by my insurance which is the only reason I take it. I have had no side effects thankfully. I could have gotten a script for dom, but cannot afford to fill it. I am lucky reglan works for me and it has allowed me to nurse 10 months now.

abunchoflemons 02-18-2013 11:35 AM

i think for me it was pumping every 2 hrs & my prenatals.

first i was stressed to no end not good so breastfeeding didnt last more than 3 to 6 months... bad latch i think too. baby didnt seem to know & not much told on help to breastfeed. formula it was.

second was awesome & was like i know what im doing let me dio it..... milk came in few days after we got home. i pumped some to help get milk in. i eventually stopped pumping but had abouut 2000 oz taking up my deep freeze.... donated to lmilk bank who donated to susan g. komen. lots to drink!

third milk was in before we left hospital. milk is great & again with prenatals. lots to drink!

if u think something else might help besides not stressing.. thistle,
fenugreek, mothers milk tea, & mothers milk plus are out there plus i think some here have said oatmeal cookies.

EmilytheStrange 02-18-2013 02:06 PM

I put mother's milk tea in my hospital bag and intend to start drinking as soon as I can after labor.

obviously, skin to skin and suckling are best, but when you've had bad experiences, you just want to feel like you've tried everything.

Fenugreek did not work for me and I've read that it can decrease supply in some cases.. so I am going with good old fashioned tea. And I'll probably start eating some oatmeal as soon as I can as well. we'll see.. oatmeal currently turns preggo me into nauseated me.

BigSamsMom 02-18-2013 04:18 PM

Sassybottoms, I'd caution you to stay away from the galactogogue herbs until you know for sure you need them. Sipping on a nursing tea once or twice a day from the beginning probably won't hurt (I like the Yogi brand, FWIW), but I wouldn't start popping the full dose of Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle down as a precautionary measure. The reason why, is you might create an oversupply of milk, which sounds heavenly, but in reality is just as troublesome as a low supply. I know this firsthand, because I am just now getting my self/herb-induced oversupply under control. Chances are you never had supply issues with your first two to begin with, it's relatively rare. If there are problems immediately after birth it's usually latch issues, or milk that is slow to come in (beyond 3 days). So have #3 checked for tongue tie/lip tie immediately after birth, especially if you note any nipple pain with the first latches. Even if you don't have pain have your NB checked for ties, as I nursed DS2 relatively pain free for six weeks without realizing his tongue tie. Once it was snipped at 6.5 weeks, he suddenly went from nursing every 1.5-2 hours to every 2-3 hours. If it's a boy you are expecting, re-think having him circumcised as this can cause him to be very sleepy at the breast while he is dealing with the pain of it healing. Do not listen to the hospital's "feed every 2-3 hour rule", especially if your NB is a sleeper. You actually want your NB at the breast more like every 1-1.5 hours, and if this is impossible ask for a syringe to express your colostrum into, so that you can feed it to your LO. Request a pump to hasten your milk coming in, if this was a problem with your other two LOs. The point is to feed-feed-feed on demand. Accept that your life will revolve around nursing the first 6 weeks. Cook and freeze dinners beforehand, let the house go, and find a comfortable spot to BF. Learn the art of side-lying nursing, so that you can sleep. Be prepared for the h*ll days of initial growth spurts (@ week 1, 3 weeks, and 6 weeks) - your baby will nurse round the clock for ~48 hours, they will flail at your breasts, tug your nipples like a puppy playing with a chew toy, scream with frustration and completely convince you that they can't get enough milk, and that you are the most inadequate person on the planet. During this time, you will only be able to get up to go to the bathroom, and walk around just enough to get the blood flowing again in your lower extremities. Muster through it, because by the 3rd day you will feel like a train wreck, but your LO will be sleeping like an angel, and you'll be constantly checking to see if he/she is still alive. He/she will only wake every 3-4 hours to bother you for a drink... enjoy it, this lasts a day or two before they feed more often again. Your little boob monster has just increased your supply, naturally. Don't get the bright idea, like I did, to try and get ahead of the next growth spurt by popping galactogue herbs all day. You'll quickly get ahead of your LO, and he/she will be filling up on too much lactose rich foremilk and not getting the fatty hindmilk that comes later in a feed. You'll suddenly notice that the healthy yellow EBF poops, suddenly turn a frothy algae green. Then the gas will kick in, and you'll have a very frustrated, fussy baby on your hands, that suddenly starts nursing more often. He/she might keep you up all night, nursing for comfort, while running in place at your breast, trying to get all the gas out from that day's lactose overload. This can last for weeks (2.5 in my case), until they grow enough to catch up with your oversupply and start getting enough of the fatty hindmilk again. In my case, oversupply, was much more miserable than dealing with a two day growth spurt, and I learned that too much of a good thing is just as bad as not enough. Trust in your body. The first 6-8 weeks of a successful BFing relationship are the hardest thing you'll ever go through in your life, but once you get past it, it's easy peasy!
I am now convinced that most Moms that claim "low supply"/"milk dried up" self diagnose this during a growth spurt and turn to formula (I know I did with DS1).... because that is exactly what a growth spurt "feels" like. It would be so nice if our boobs had ounce markers on them, but you really have to trust in diaper output.