Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Leaking fluid! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492653)

Sarahknavy 02-18-2013 07:51 AM

So, with my first my water broke and I never went into labor. He was wrapped up in his cord like no other and I assume that is why labor never started.

Now I am a VBAC attempt on number two. I am almost positive I am leaking fluid.its been 4 hours and I don't seem to be staring anything yet.

Is this some kind of issue that is fixable??? Never going into labor? I am dreading my dr appt and not excited about possibly having a second csection :(

Tris 02-18-2013 08:12 AM

Re: Leaking fluid!

If you are leaking fluid you should head to the ER so they can check you out, confirm its amniotic fluid. It's not fixable as far as I know.

~KittyKat~ 02-18-2013 08:47 AM

At 35 weeks with my first, I thought my water broke and I was leaking fluids. Turns out it was just really excessive vaginal discharge. I was so convinced that the military hospital was wrong I even went to the civilian hospital off post as soon as we left the first one to confirm.

My sister on the other hand had her water break and it was hours before she ever felt a contraction. They wound up giving her a pitocin drip to get the labor started. To my understanding you need to go in though and see if it is amniotic fluid or not because going longer than 24 hrs with the sac broken has the potential to lead to infection and needs to be monitored.

Good luck Mama!

Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama 02-18-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahknavy (Post 16301977)
So, with my first my water broke and I never went into labor. He was wrapped up in his cord like no other and I assume that is why labor never started.

Now I am a VBAC attempt on number two. I am almost positive I am leaking fluid.its been 4 hours and I don't seem to be staring anything yet.

Is this some kind of issue that is fixable??? Never going into labor? I am dreading my dr appt and not excited about possibly having a second csection :(

Ive had to have pit everytime. My water always breaks around 35 weeks and i never go into labor on my own. Good luck!

Sarahknavy 02-18-2013 09:08 AM

Yeah, I have an appt soon. We are getting things sorted before. I don't know if my dr will go for pit because I have a prior csection :/

canadianbakers 02-18-2013 09:49 AM

Pitocin is safe for VBACs. Don't let them tell you otherwise!

Cervidil and cytotec are not safe, though. They each increase the risk of uterine rupture.

yellowitchgrl 02-18-2013 10:19 AM

just keep the pit low, you be in control of how much they give you and then you can have it turned off once contractions really start.

Nerissa 02-18-2013 12:57 PM

With my first my water started leaking when I was 35 weeks and I was 4cm when I went in to get checked out. No contractions. It took a little pitocin to get things going and as soon as my water broke (on its own) he was born 3 hours later.

good luck. Hope you get the VBAC

DesertRat 02-18-2013 01:02 PM

My guess is that if you're leaking fluid slowly, maybe your body just hasn't realized it yet. Personally, I would not go to the doctor right away unless you want to start the countdown to your next c-section. I'd avoid internal checks (to prevent infection) and do other things to see if you can get contractions started on their own. But I don't think leaking fluid puts you at risk of anything, since the baby still has plenty of fluid in there.

AJH1544 02-18-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat (Post 16303329)
My guess is that if you're leaking fluid slowly, maybe your body just hasn't realized it yet. Personally, I would not go to the doctor right away unless you want to start the countdown to your next c-section. I'd avoid internal checks (to prevent infection) and do other things to see if you can get contractions started on their own. But I don't think leaking fluid puts you at risk of anything, since the baby still has plenty of fluid in there.

Per our hospital-approved birthing instructor, leaking fluid can lead to infections. THey become concerned about that starting at 24 hours.

That said, I apparently leaked fluid for several days before having our baby. I started with irregular contractions and fluid leaking on Monday, finally got admitted to hospital on Thursday, had baby on Friday. I had a slow leak from the top, my doc suspected. They were not too happy that I waited that long to come in, but I honestly did not want to deal with the induction process and the contractions werent regular, and I honestly didnt think about the leak being my water!