Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Finding OB in 3rd trimester...? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492803)

NappyChappy 02-18-2013 04:11 PM

Finding OB in 3rd trimester...?

So I just don't know if I am mentally capable of giving birth at home...? DH is seriously doubting it because I am a mental mess! I am going to talk to my midwife tomorrow and see what she thinks but I just don't know. This will be our second, DHs birth was wonderful but I was so focused and happy.

My mental issues doesn't stem from birthing they are non related but very severe right now. Has anyone successfully had a homebirth knowing they aren't in the right state of mind?

MrsStripe 02-18-2013 04:14 PM

Re: Finding OB in 3rd trimester...?

I don't know anything about homebirths because it wasn't something DH was willing to consider. Is your midwife able to deliver at a hospital at all? I switched Dr.'s at 26 weeks and it hasn't been terrible so far. I'm currently at 33 weeks and have been to the new office 2 times if that makes a difference. I do believe that you can just show up at the hospital and get an on call Dr. when the time comes, but I don't think I would like that route.

This is just my experience so far and if you think you can go through the homebirth go for it.

NappyChappy 02-18-2013 04:26 PM

No she doesn't have hospital privileges anywhere unfortunately.

wisa03 02-18-2013 07:19 PM

I switched OB's literally the day they induced me (long story, SO glad I escaped my crazy first OBs) but they definitely do take patients on late in the game - people move, things happen, they expect that. Don't know what kind of mental issues but if they are depression-related or anxiety-related, you're also at a slightly higher risk for lower birth weight and premature labour so it would probably be good to be in touch with an OB. I'll be honest, where I am they all do it in a "shared practice" anyway, so I only met the dude who delivered my baby the day I was induced. And it really wasn't weird, and he was skilled at what he did, so I was happy. Also, maybe your midwife could suggest a midwife who does have hospital privileges? Otherwise, maybe look at getting a doula to support you as well?

gingerpeachee 02-18-2013 08:04 PM

I switched OBs at 30 something weeks with my first baby. Someone will take you, just do your research and make sure its a practice that you like and get some outside opinions from people you can trust.

birdinhand 02-18-2013 09:18 PM

When I signed the contract with my homebirth midwife, there was a whole section devoted to whom we would transfer care to in the event a homebirth as not possible -- in my case, it would be the midwife I originally transferred care from. Does your midwife have a doc she prefers?