Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   School for an 18 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493077)

UVASahm 02-19-2013 01:01 PM

School for an 18 month old?
 
So a few ladies in my moms group are enrolling their Los in school this fall. Sme of them are as little as 17 months! My son will be 18 months in September but I think that is crazy young for school! It's every Tuesday and Thursday from 9-1pm. That's so long!! I just can't imagine him sitting still for that long. I also know its more than daycare. They actually do learning stuff with them for most of those 4 hours.

My question is, isn't this too young to start formal school?

GEMQEMCABOOSE 02-19-2013 01:06 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
I think so. I think moms want a break and instead of calling it "mothers day out" or justifying the cost of daycare when they are SAHM, they call it school. I think the most important things to learn at that age are family culture, identity, self control, manners, and verbal and fine motor skills, which no one can teach like their mama.

Nerissa 02-19-2013 01:11 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
If it was a "school" where they basically just played with other kids then sure why not. A break for me is nice. But actual "school" not a chance. 18 months is way to young IMO..

My co-worker calls her daycare "school"

I also do not do any type of "school" till age 4.

My kids get to be kids and just play. They will get plenty of school when they are older. FWIW, my oldest is doing just fine is actually ahead of his learning.

BSWmama 02-19-2013 01:21 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm (Post 16307464)
So a few ladies in my moms group are enrolling their Los in school this fall. Sme of them are as little as 17 months! My son will be 18 months in September but I think that is crazy young for school! It's every Tuesday and Thursday from 9-1pm. That's so long!! I just can't imagine him sitting still for that long. I also know its more than daycare. They actually do learning stuff with them for most of those 4 hours.

My question is, isn't this too young to start formal school?

It sounds like a preschool type program, but at that age it has got to be mostly free play, which is learning. It's probably fun for the kids, and good for the moms to have a break if they want one. Also, I am SURE they do not attempt for them to sit still for 4 hours, or even more than 4 minutes! Even in actual preschool for 3-4 year olds, kids do not sit still for very long.

mibarra 02-19-2013 01:28 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
Depends on what they are doing. Maybe they aren't sitting still that long. If they are doing age appropriate educational activities (songs, stories, free play, art), then if they really want to I don't see the big deal, but I wouldn't worry too much about not doing it myself.

EmilytheStrange 02-19-2013 01:37 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
I know lots of parents who have chosen to do this. 1 - 2 days a week.

while I agree that it's far too young for my family, some families are different and function best when the kids are in daycare/school a couple times a week.

All the children I know seem to love it and the moms are rejuvenated from the break.. but it is not for me.

escapethevillage 02-19-2013 01:39 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
LOL...It's all play.. they probably aren't sitting for any of it. It's just play, paint, cooperate, eat snack...etc. Just fun stuff.

I know the Montessori schools near here want the kids at 18 months.

I wouldn't put my child in preschool before age four, but to each their own.

Fitter 02-19-2013 01:47 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE (Post 16307486)
I think so. I think moms want a break and instead of calling it "mothers day out" or justifying the cost of daycare when they are SAHM, they call it school. I think the most important things to learn at that age are family culture, identity, self control, manners, and verbal and fine motor skills, which no one can teach like their mama.

:yeahthat:

FWIW we don't enroll any of our kids in "school" until they are 4.

sillymama 02-19-2013 01:48 PM

School for an 18 month old - no way. A "Mothers Morning Out" a couple days a week, sure, sounds lovely. FWIW, my kids have never done preschool but that is mostly a financial decision. I probably wouldn't start until 3 though.

sisu 02-19-2013 02:38 PM

Re: School for an 18 month old?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 16307623)
LOL...It's all play.. they probably aren't sitting for any of it. It's just play, paint, cooperate, eat snack...etc. Just fun stuff.

I know the Montessori schools near here want the kids at 18 months.

I wouldn't put my child in preschool before age four, but to each their own.

My 15 month old would be all over something like the above, I think it's silly to call it 'school' though. :giggle:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors