Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Anyone with a child with an immunodeficiency disorder? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493119)

kai_e 02-19-2013 03:45 PM

Anyone with a child with an immunodeficiency disorder?

I haven't found any real life support groups yet but I am reaching the breaking point of what I can deal with alone, without having anyone who can relate to talk to.

mekat 02-20-2013 03:15 AM

Re: Anyone with a child with an immunodeficiency disorder?

My DS has Natural Killer Cell deficiency (functional deficiency). Now that we know what is going on and have taken steps to protect him for the most part his illnesses are under control. He still gets sick more often and stays sick for longer periods of time but it has been manageable. His deficiency has impacted his medical treatment significantly. The ER fast tracks him and his doctors tend to discharge him quicker then they would another patient because he has a history of picking up secondary infections. We also vaccinate according to his immunologist's recommendations and have confirmed with titers he can build an immune response. We lucked out and have one of the top pediatric immunologist's in our area on his case; She has helped him tremendously. There aren't any treatments for my son's deficiency so we manage by avoiding exposure, getting vaccinated and avoiding medical environments when we can.

kai_e 02-20-2013 06:12 AM

I knew we weren't the only ones out there who are battling with something like this but I just haven't found anyone else locally.

Our youngest has selective IgA deficiency, which is the most common. I guess most fall on the side of the spectrum of it not being a deal. DS2 is on the other side and has completely absent levels. He gets sick if someone even says the word sick. On his last tests, his igg and igm levels were dropping as well.

I love his immunologist - we travel to Boston Children's and they are wonderful with him although we are just now delving into the nutrition area and finding an optimal diet for him. I mean, he already does very well with fruits/veggies, limited amount of processed foods etc but I know that celiac's and even lactose imbalances can go frequently hand in hand and I'm not sure why no one ever suggested we do some GI testing on him?

I am probably rambling. I have been up all night with him again since he has another fever. He spikes fevers like it is his job.

FernHollow 02-21-2013 05:10 PM

I am not dealing with the exact same thing, but I definitely do understand the concerns with secondary infections, etc. My almost 7yo has Nephrotic Syndrome caused by an autoimmune reaction. He is almost always on immunosuppressant therapy which can be so scary when he gets sick. He was diagnosed when he was 3 and at that point every single little cold that went through our household resulted in him having pneumonia and being close to hospitalization. It has been really hard to not be overprotective of him now that he is older and school age. We homeschool, but he is still involved in the community and I can't keep him in a bubble of course. We just try to do the best we can in terms of providing a really healthy diet and getting care for him ASAP if he is getting sick. We've done all the celiac testing, tried high dose allergy meds (he has mild allergies), etc. to see if we can't get his immune system from being so overactive all the time. Unfortunately every time he even gets a sniffle, he flares again and gets really ill from his body attacking his kidneys.

It is can be really hard to find support since people don't always understand what you are going through with your child. Sometimes they think you are just being way overcautious with trying to protect them from illness. Sometimes you blame yourself that maybe you should be doing something different or have made different choices. It can feel very isolating that people don't really understand because your child looks "normal". Just know you aren't alone even if our children aren't suffering from the same illness. Feel free to send me a PM if you ever need to talk :hugs:

mekat 02-21-2013 10:33 PM

Alec receives enteral formula through his g-tube. I have considered doing a blended diet (whole foods blended into a liquid consistency) but I am terrified to try because his intestinal function is so poor. We just started feeding therapy 11 months ago to try and transfer him to oral feeds and his GI system has been going into a downward tail spin. I'm not entirely sure how much of it is poor intestinal function and how much of it might be an an autoimmune response (suspected inflammatory bowel disease). I am not sure he is capable of digesting real food as a large portion of his diet. A few months back he was barely able to digest his formula which is specifically designed for intestinal deficiency problems.

Alec's immunologist was the first suspect autoimmune response with his GI issues. She said those with immune deficiencies in one area can often have an over active immune response in another.

I don't worry too much about school because he isn't mainstreamed. His school is the school where the district sends the most medically complex children. They have been very good with keeping kids healthy since he isn't the only one with an immune deficiency. If he were mainstreamed though it is very likely we would have to home school. The one school he went too that did regular classes along with the ESE classes was horrible nursing wise. They knew he had an immune deficiency and kept bringing him into the nurses office with all the sick kids because the nurse wouldn't give him his meds in his classroom. It was a nightmare and he was sick all the time.

mekat 02-21-2013 10:39 PM

I'm sorry you both are having such a difficult time. The emotional drama is very draining. I find that my depression cycles match my son's medical status. It is very damaging from an emotional perspective to see your child hurting and feel powerless to fix the situation. Then to top off the stress you have to try to maintain a positive perspective for your child when all you want to do is cry.

kai_e 02-22-2013 10:01 AM

Thank you mamas for reading and making me feel like I am not alone. We will meet with a nutritionist and do GI testing to see what is going on there. Based on the results we will modify his diet and see if that has an impact.

Right now, by looking at my excel chart - by the way am totally sad that I keep an excel chart of when he is sick - he has a fever usually with some symptoms (runny nose, cough, congestion) about every 10 - 12 days. He had a really good run this summer where he went 2 whole months without a cold! It was so awesome, I can't even describe it. It was like being transported back to when he was 16 months old and had almost never been sick.

He started getting sick when he started weaning - around 18 months and at first we thought it was just normal stuff but he had his first ear infection that never went away, even with augmentin. We got tubes which helped that problem but then he started getting pneumonia ALL the time and spiking these crazy high fevers. After about 5 months, 3 hospital visits, chest x-rays etc everyone was finally convinced I wasn't a nutjob and he REALLY was sick all the time and we did blood work.

That is when his iGA and iGM levels were noticed and they have been dropping ever since. His iGA is now completely absent. Both his pedi and immunologist drew the conclusion that his body has never made iGA but that he was getting it from me via nursing. By the time we found out about the levels though he was already well weaned. I tried to re-lactate just so I could pump but was unable to.

Rainsong 02-25-2013 10:10 AM

My 7 yo has iga deficiency and specific antibody deficiency. How old is your son?

raymark 02-25-2013 11:24 AM

My oldest 2 have eliptocytosis (think sickle cell anemia). When they become ill it is common for them to need blood transfusions. We don't shelter them & they have both always been very active children. They are 18 & 20 yrs old now. Thanks to medical science the spleens of these children are no longer removed & they always perk right up after receiving transfusions. They both understand the need to always be current with vaccinations, take their vitamins, eat healthy, avoid sleep deprivation, exercise, and see their doc at the first sign of any illness. Having eliptocytosis truly is not a big deal - at least our family has never fussed over it or made them feel broken, damaged, or different.

kai_e 02-26-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainsong (Post 16330491)
My 7 yo has iga deficiency and specific antibody deficiency. How old is your son?

He is 3. When did your son get diagnosed? How do you manage it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark (Post 16330824)
My oldest 2 have eliptocytosis (think sickle cell anemia). When they become ill it is common for them to need blood transfusions. We don't shelter them & they have both always been very active children. They are 18 & 20 yrs old now. Thanks to medical science the spleens of these children are no longer removed & they always perk right up after receiving transfusions. They both understand the need to always be current with vaccinations, take their vitamins, eat healthy, avoid sleep deprivation, exercise, and see their doc at the first sign of any illness. Having eliptocytosis truly is not a big deal - at least our family has never fussed over it or made them feel broken, damaged, or different.

Thanks for sharing the other side of it. We are trying not to convey that DS2 is "damaged" but we do have to explain why he can't say, go to the inflatable bounce center (which he has in the past but he always picks up some kind of bug/cold from indoor play areas). I am sure we will always be gauging the risk and our comfort levels with certain activities.