Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Has anyone tried this homemade CD detergent? Results? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493548)

Dani_Phen 02-20-2013 06:51 PM

Has anyone tried this homemade CD detergent? Results?

Hey Mommas. I found a recipe online for a homemade CD detergent. I am wondering if anyone has tried it and what they think? Does it work? Does it leave a residue/buildup over time? Would you try this?

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
cup oxiclean

Mix and use 1/4 cup for top loaders and 2 tbsp for front loaders

fluffycheeks 02-20-2013 06:58 PM

I've seen that before. I'm curious how it works, but I'd be surprised if it does well long term, as those are all boosters and there is no actual soap or detergent.

Kay+Dave 02-20-2013 07:01 PM

Re: Has anyone tried this homemade CD detergent? Results?

Worked for me for a while, then I started to get stink after a few months. Definitely did NOT work once DS started solids. I have had luck using half homemade and half All Free & Clear. At least that helps make the regular detergent last longer.

Dani_Phen 02-20-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffycheeks (Post 16313353)
I've seen that before. I'm curious how it works, but I'd be surprised if it does well long term, as those are all boosters and there is no actual soap or detergent.

That's my thoughts and why I wanted to ask about it before wasting money trying it for myself. :thumbsup: I can't see it working without soap...but I've read that you can't put soap on diapers...they actually need a detergent. I read somewhere that these ingredients are basically what charlies soap is except they have a few more things added. I don't know how true that is though. I never read the ingredients on charlies. I only used it a few times and started getting a buildup...so I gave it away to a friend who I know uses it without an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kay+Dave (Post 16313363)
Worked for me for a while, then I started to get stink after a few months. Definitely did NOT work once DS started solids. I have had luck using half homemade and half All Free & Clear. At least that helps make the regular detergent last longer.

Thanks for the info!

Dani_Phen 02-21-2013 11:19 AM

Bump. :)

momma81 02-21-2013 04:15 PM

I made the big batch, but it's the same thing (just larger quality), have used it to prep my diapers (new to CD) and have been using it on my sons underwear and clothes (he's potty training) and it seems to work well thus far.

March 02-21-2013 04:32 PM

You need a surfactant to lift anything out of fabric. This is just a recipe for a water conditioner.

zeotwoski 02-21-2013 05:54 PM

Anyone know of a recipe that *does* work on CD's?

MamaWeeks 02-21-2013 06:08 PM

I made that last week and have used it on two loads of dipes so far - almost immediately I noticed stink-like smell, I ended up using 1 tbl of this stuff with ecos filled to the first line in a top loader, that got the diaper pretty clean but still nothing impressive.
If anyone has a good homemade CD detergent please share!

thirdtimemomma 02-21-2013 06:33 PM

I made that but it works better with purex crystals.