Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493702)

~KittyKat~ 02-21-2013 09:39 AM

Wipes?

I have a bunch of diapers on their way for DS when he arrives. Most of my fabric collection was girly stuff from DD so I am using some of my other stuff to make wipes. I am trying to make about 40 wipes so I make sure I have enough for the newborn phase. I am using pieces of jersey knit that I had (most of which were tie dyed) for one side and puttting either flannel or cotton velour on the other side. I have enough Jersey knit for 32 wipes, but I think I am going to run short on the other fabrics. I am trying to make these without spending a ton, if anything at all. Any recommendations for fabrics to use or where to get them that won't be girly, will be really soft and effective as wipes, but won't cost say more than $5 for a yard?

Would microfiber, terry, or microchamois work? I ask because I have some of those I can use lol.

Tris 02-21-2013 10:31 AM

Re: Wipes?

Terry is a great option :) so is Sherpa, although I don't know how much that is.
Microfiber is a no, never against skin.

~KittyKat~ 02-21-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16315579)
Terry is a great option :) so is Sherpa, although I don't know how much that is.
Microfiber is a no, never against skin.

So if I have some regular washcloths (not baby ones) I could use them? They haven't been washed, I bought them to use for absorbancy in some newborn fitteds. They haven't been washed or anything so they aren't super soft but maybe they would be good for getting off icky poops? I know microchamois is a wicking fabric, so that wouldn't really work either right? I am really trying to do this out of stuff I already have.

PurpleFluff 02-21-2013 11:06 AM

All I use for wipes is regular (not baby) washcloths. Some cheap ones I got at Walmart, and some raggedy ones I retired from our actual washcloths we used for bathing. They are not the softest thing, but do a great job cleaning and DS has not complained so far ;)

~KittyKat~ 02-21-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleFluff (Post 16315757)
All I use for wipes is regular (not baby) washcloths. Some cheap ones I got at Walmart, and some raggedy ones I retired from our actual washcloths we used for bathing. They are not the softest thing, but do a great job cleaning and DS has not complained so far ;)

Good to know :). I was worried it would be too rough for his little bum but I think I will stitch some of the cotton knit to one side so it can have a soft side too lol. Plus I would imagine it will soften up with washing. Thanks for the info. I think i might just go ahead an use these up, I think I got a dozen for like $5.

Mom2lucy 02-21-2013 03:34 PM

Do they have a joanns near you? They send out 50% off coupons almost weekly here. I got 3 yards of flannel for $10 and it made me 50 6x6 double sided flannel wipes. :)

~KittyKat~ 02-21-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2lucy (Post 16317012)
Do they have a joanns near you? They send out 50% off coupons almost weekly here. I got 3 yards of flannel for $10 and it made me 50 6x6 double sided flannel wipes. :)

I don't think I have one around here, I would have to check. That is an awesome deal though. I will have to see if I can find one of those coupons and a store nearby.

~KittyKat~ 02-21-2013 03:49 PM

OOHH looks like they have a sale right now on snuggle flannel which is all kid prints and stuff $2.99 a yard!! I hope shipping won't be too much because the closest store is 30 miles away :(.

Edit:
Oh Darn....the shipping will literally double the price for just a few yards :(. Oh well

cassie.sattler 02-21-2013 05:09 PM

if you live by a thrift store you could pick up a flannel bed sheet. i made easily over 100 wipes ( for different parts of the house) they are fraying but after a few washes it seizes. i recycled the bedsheet from the rag bin!

~KittyKat~ 02-21-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassie.sattler (Post 16317351)
if you live by a thrift store you could pick up a flannel bed sheet. i made easily over 100 wipes ( for different parts of the house) they are fraying but after a few washes it seizes. i recycled the bedsheet from the rag bin!

That's a good idea, I didn't think about a thrift store. I will have to see if we have one around here. I think there is a salvation army store, maybe they will have something. Thanks :).