Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Stroller help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493707)

swrlgrl105 02-21-2013 09:48 AM

Stroller help

When DS was born we had a Graco travel system.. the car seat with matching stroller, etc. I hated the car seat and becasue he was a huge baby, he grew out of it faster than I would have liked. Plus, my opinon of the stroller was just "eh" ... in the past year we have bought a City Mini stroller which i LOVE and there is an attachment you can get for it to attach an infant seat. So that's what I plan to do.

Next, I want a new infant carrier. Part of me feels frivilous seeing as they are in it such a short amount of time, but I think I want the Britax B-Safe carrier since it has a higher weight capacity and its a deeper seat and can accomodate a larger child.

Here is my question... we are TTC right now.. and if all goes well, DS will be 3 when we have a NB and he is tall for his age. I have the single stroller for when I will need it, but should I also have a double? I was thinking of getting a sit and stand one but I worry that out in public he might bolt if he isnt strapped in. I dont know if with him being 3 by then if spending the money on a double is worth it?

I need help and opinions, past experience? Are the sit and stand ones a PITA to steer or should I get a side by side?

I am planning to sell my travel system and use that money to go toward some of the new stuff I want.

kaia.aline 02-21-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrlgrl105
When DS was born we had a Graco travel system.. the car seat with matching stroller, etc. I hated the car seat and becasue he was a huge baby, he grew out of it faster than I would have liked. Plus, my opinon of the stroller was just "eh" ... in the past year we have bought a City Mini stroller which i LOVE and there is an attachment you can get for it to attach an infant seat. So that's what I plan to do.

Next, I want a new infant carrier. Part of me feels frivilous seeing as they are in it such a short amount of time, but I think I want the Britax B-Safe carrier since it has a higher weight capacity and its a deeper seat and can accomodate a larger child.

Here is my question... we are TTC right now.. and if all goes well, DS will be 3 when we have a NB and he is tall for his age. I have the single stroller for when I will need it, but should I also have a double? I was thinking of getting a sit and stand one but I worry that out in public he might bolt if he isnt strapped in. I dont know if with him being 3 by then if spending the money on a double is worth it?

I need help and opinions, past experience? Are the sit and stand ones a PITA to steer or should I get a side by side?

I am planning to sell my travel system and use that money to go toward some of the new stuff I want.

I have the bsafe and at first I didn't like it but now I love it, plus I bought the bagile stroller and I am in LOVE with that thing! It's so nice as a travel system but also just by itself :) if you get the bagile double the bsafe snaps right in but that thing is a pretty large side by side

sisu 02-21-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Stroller help

DS was 19 months when DD was born. I held out for a full year with two kids before I admitted I needed a double, but I wish I had just sucked it up and gotten a double right away.

I have no experience with Britax, but I got a Phil and Ted Explorer and am crazy in love with it. DS is almost 3 and big for his age, DD is 15 months and also pretty big, and it's still perfect for us. We use it all the time right now, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Do you have a store where you can try some different strollers out? I hated the side-by-side doubles I tried. I ordered the P&T without having seen it in person but it worked out well.

Erinne 02-22-2013 01:47 PM

My 3 yo still rides in a stroller a lot, so I'd vote for yes to a double. Do you babywear much in the beginning, though? If you plan to wear the baby for the first year or so, you might want to wait until later to decide if you need a new stroller. What kind of seat is your ds in now? We're ttc too, and I've decided we'll probably pass down my dd's convertible seat to the baby and spend the money on a nice ff only/booster combo for her instead of a bucket, but if you plan to use the bucket with the stroller a lot, then maybe that's better for you.

EmilytheStrange 02-22-2013 02:46 PM

I intended to get a side by side.. but.. seems like most of them are jogging strollers and there are cons to those - one of which is the foot space on the little triangle in the front that kids reportedly fight over. Another is the type of wheels. I'm all for nice wheels when I'm actually using the stroller to run, but just as a walking stroller, I don't want to purchase $60 worth of replacement tubes (which would be a must for the area I live in).

So, I'm looking into a normal 2 kid stroller with arena type seating so that both kids have a view. I don't want a sit and stand. You can actually strap your kids into the standing area for most of those, BTW.. so they're completely reasonable. But I just don't like the sit and stands.

DD will be about 3 when I finally buy this stroller - new baby will be around 6months or so, I'm guessing. So, I don't want or need the carseat part - I intend to just wear the baby and push a single stroller for awhile.

The only reason I think I'll want/need a double stroller is because I have a friend and her kid would always want to ride his bike to the park, but then ride in the stroller back home. So, it was nice to be able to accomodate that. She just put his little bike on the handlebars and he got to sit there (was technically a sit and stand, so he could stand or sit). Ideally, DD would always just want to ride her bike or whatever.. but I have seen firsthand that that's not likely.

lizgrace07 02-22-2013 10:44 PM

I'd get a stroller with one of those skateboard type attachments for him to ride on when he needs a break.

ExpatMama1990 02-22-2013 10:58 PM

Our Sit N Stand stroller drives a heck of a lot smoother and easier than our Chicco travel system stroller (which we really liked when we were using it!). My DD is going to be 3 in June and my DD2 is almost 13 months. We got the Double, which has two seats, but the back seat is removable for sitting on the bench and standing... I was surprised that my oldest wanted to sit in the seat, but if we take it out, she would sit on the bench seat just fine. She might try to get off sometimes, but she certainly wouldn't go far... She just likes to walk sometimes (and that's why we liked the bench seat/standing option, so she can get in and out easily).

HugeBabyBoy 02-22-2013 11:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizgrace07
I'd get a stroller with one of those skateboard type attachments for him to ride on when he needs a break.

We had one & loved it (Orbit Baby G2)! Then they came out with one called the Double Helix, which has a detachable 2nd seat. Great for 2 in strollers or even twins. They're from Orbit Baby. Our kids are 25 months apart, and now that they are 13 months & 3yo it's still fantastic. We just flip up the skateboard when they ride double. We opted to get their seats in pink & blue... Too cute!

mkrisel 02-24-2013 09:08 PM

We have a 3 year old and a 3 month old. We weren't going to get a double stroller. But then I found a Phil and Teds on Craigslist for $100 and we were going to Disneyland. We are not big stroller users, except for the jogging stroller. Yet, we have used the Phil and Teds at least once a week.