Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Overnight cloth vs disposables (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493716)

li'l skeeter 02-21-2013 11:13 AM

Overnight cloth vs disposables

Am getting really frustrated trying to find the right combination of cloth diapers to use overnight for our VERY heavy 5 month old wetter! I would love it if he could sleep at least 7-8 hours straight, but it's difficult to encourage that when he wakes up every 3-4 hours and I have to do a cloth diaper change if I don't want him or the bed to be soaked! Any one else struggle with this? I'm tempted to use disposables at night simply because they absorb more and I can try and get him back to sleep with little interaction/no diaper change. Also, it's a bit of a process to change the overnight diaper, making sure everything is tucked in and in place! I love cloth, but my sleep is becoming more important!

Current overnight cloth set up:

GMD prefold wrapped around softbums super dry touch pod or twinkletoes overnight zorb insert...thirsties duo cover.

Have tried and failed with massive leakage (around the legs):

Softbums cover with super dry touch pod and mini pod doubler/prefold, tri-folded
GMD prefold with either softbums cover or thirsties duo cover

BigSamsMom 02-21-2013 11:27 AM

Re: Overnight cloth vs disposables

Try Bamboo! A Bamboozle fitted with a zorb doubler and a slightly felted wool cover was bullet proof for us. If you want to stick to PFs, there are Imagine Smart fit PFs.

sweetest 02-21-2013 11:31 AM

I actually wanted to use sposies at night and couldn't find one to hold my baby...

What I use is a BG 4.0 with a Capri size 2 insert and a medium babykicks hemp insert. In the morning his PJs are dry and the insert isn't even wet through. I've also used a large GMD flat and medium babykicks hemp and that works as well. My LO is 9 months old and still wakes to nurse 2-3 times a night...

I went through lots of things before I finally found something to work at night... I've also always found flats to be more absorbant than prefolds, not just for night but in general. Prefolds never spread the moisture as well as flats did...

formerlybailey 02-21-2013 11:48 AM

We switched to the overnight disposables at about 4 months and she has been leaking out of them recently at 12 months. I put a fleece cover over them just so she isn't soaked everywhere.
It's ridiculous, I feel so guilty but she sleeps through the night and I don't have the courage to wake and change her.
Last night I put a Thirsties hemp prefold in a bamboozle, covered it with a Thirsties duo and a fleece soaker, it was soaked in the morning but her pjs were dry. So I am hoping this will work for us.

Good luck to you and do what works for your family.

MommyJen_11 02-21-2013 12:02 PM

We double stuffed BG 4.0s for a long time overnight and they worked great.

Now that I have a toddler I need to get somr RLR to strip my microfiber so we use bamboo double stuffed or hemp and it works great.

My 2 year old does seem to wet less at night than when he was younger probably because he is not nursing at night. So, if you do have to switch for a while, just know it won't be forever.

rooster2012 02-21-2013 12:21 PM

My 8 month old DD is an overnight heavy wetter and sleeps 11-12 hours. We use a 4.0 stuffed with a single Thirsties hemp prefold. Before that, I tried many double and triple stuffed combinations and even fitted, all either leaked or were too bulky for LO to be comfy. The 4.0 with the Thirsties hemp prefold has been a lifesaver and she's comfy because its not even bulky :-)

Pixi6s 02-21-2013 12:28 PM

I would try hemp and maybe even microfiber.

Get a hemp flat or prefold and a hemp inserts and sandwich it all together.

fluffycheeks 02-21-2013 12:31 PM

I couldn't even find disposables to hold my 3 oldest. They would pee out of even the ones designed for nighttime halfway through the night. My third would even out pee an sbish with several doublers and wool. What we finally found that worked was a Thirsties hemp prefold wrapped around a flip trainer organic insert topped by a mother ease stay dry insert in a flip, pocket, or other cover. Bullet proof.

My fourth, strangely enough, is a fairly light nighttime wetter. It is a whole new ball game. I can put almost anything, except microfiber, on her and she is dry in the morning. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm not complaining!

boysniris 02-21-2013 12:34 PM

I loved hemp for overnight heavy wetters. For my son when he was 5 months old, I'm pretty sure we used this combo:

Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds
BabyKicks Large hemp insert/doubler
Imse Vimse cotton terry doubler

Yep it was big, but worked really well :)

gbabies2 02-21-2013 12:47 PM

We actually have never been able to use disposables at night . . . leaks right thru them! Our current nighttime combos are awesome and we NEVER have any issues (diaper is not even fully saturated)! Here are some of the diapers we use:

- Motherease Bamboo Sandy's Fitted with a Mothereasy Stay-Dry Doubler and an added very slim bamboo doubler.

- Rainshine Designs Nighttime Fitted (no added doublers other than what comes with it)

- Bububebe Fitted (remove one of the three inserts that comes with it and replace with a Motherease Stay-Dry Doubler)

*And I cover the nighttime diaper with either a Dancing Bears Fleece Soaker, Motherease Airflow Cover, Disana Wool Cover or Malden Mills Fleece Pants (ODC)

And in a pinch, I sometimes just stuff our bG 4.0 Pocket with a Thirsties Hemp PF and an infant MF soaker - great combo too!

Good Luck Mama!