Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How much have you spent and saved? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493752)

JustSmile7 02-21-2013 11:55 AM

How much have you spent and saved?

When I first started Cding with DS it was to contain bf poop and find a solution to his constant rashes. Saving money was a plus. As a guess I beleive I spent about $450-$600 on DS and started him at 3 months old. That contains BG 4.0 BG 3.0, Flips, inserts, three wetbags...and I think that's it.

For little one on the way I added 6 thirsties covers, a travel wetbag, snappis, and prefolds for aboutb$130.

So maybe a total of $570-$720

Oh that's doesn't include laundry soap. I may add a few accessories, but undecided as to what:)

As for saving $... I feel like I did with DS and with the one I really feel like we are saving!

FamiLEE 02-21-2013 12:02 PM

Re: How much have you spent and saved?

Our little one hasn't arrive but we are getting our stash together little by little. I'm guessing we have spent around $350 so far.
I feel like we are going to spend around $800-$1000 by the time our baby arrives in 6 months.

BigSamsMom 02-21-2013 12:38 PM

We didn't save a darn thing, actually CDing was more $$ than sposies.... we tried everything, and then settled on Bamboozle fitteds. We collected 3 dozen of them, only to have DS1 outgrow the size 2s at a year:banghead:! With DS2 we do better with Amazon.com, as Prime Members, with the subscribe and save option. Pampers are delivered to our door and cost us about $40-50/month ($ 1440-1800 for 3 years), whereas 3 stashes of 3 dozen bamboo fitteds costing $15 used-$20 new equalled $1620-2160 as a total investment... not to mention the added cost of covers, laundering, etc. Although, I have to admit... I miss it, it just doesn't fit our lifestyle anymore, since we are both working full time.

gbabies2 02-21-2013 12:45 PM

Spent, I do not know. Saved . . . not a dime, lol :) For us we went into CD'ing for reasons other than finances (better for baby, environment, fun factor, etc) so it is not a big disappointment for us though.

cdeweese 02-21-2013 12:45 PM

More than I care to admit and not enough hahaha!

Pixi6s 02-21-2013 12:53 PM

I would say we only actually saved a few hundred at most. I think #2 we will save alot more because of stuff to reuse but still not a ton. If we did to sposies we would use all natural ones so because of that we would have been at the higher end of sposie price. I spent a fair amount mostly because we do velcro and it needs to be replaced. I didn't do buying sprees that you see people do here. Finding trainers has been tough for us that has added alot of cost.

I have prefolds and inserts to reuse an some diapers that are still good. But most of the velcro items have already been sold. I thought we'd have lots of inserts to reuse (and we do have some) but they are starting to get very worn and probably won't last a full nother kid. I bet we will save money on trainers when we get there, I don't have to try as much types and these will probably be reusable (no velcro, not used as long ect)

mozartswannabe 02-21-2013 01:48 PM

I've spent somewhere around 375 I think... Let's see.

70 on prefolds (econobum kit, 6 infant bummis)
35 from Alva (3 solid pockets, 1 minky, 2 wet/dry bags, 1 pail liner)
80 at diaper junction during black friday/cyber monday sales (2 freetimes, 2 FB elites, 2 diaper rite pockets, 1 bag if RnG, 2 sample size CJ's, some detergent samples).
75 at Kellys Closet (1 freetime, 1 FB elite, 1 FLO diaper sprayer).
36 at Cotton Babies (3 freetime seconds)
24 at 3 Monkeys etsy (2 pockets)
108 st 3 Monkeys custom (6 custom pockets, 12 of the best bamboo inserts ever made, 6 super soft wipes)

:/ Those numbers actually just added up to 428. I sold the 3 FB elites making back 39 after shipping and fees which brings my total back down to 389 on everything including accessories.
I also have a NB diaper (shower gift) for sale and all of the prefolds so when all that finally sells my total will be back down, but until then I guess I've spent about $390 for a great stash!
I made about 50 wipes from hospital receiving blankets so I didn't spend a dime there!

My next investment will be a couple wool covers and fitteds for night time that I will more than likely make myself. We most chose to cd for environmental and health reasons, but saving money is important to us as well. As hard as it is to resist buying all the adorable diapers out there, I do.

Cdra 02-21-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdeweese
More than I care to admit and not enough hahaha!

Ha! Same here. I started with the intentions of saving money. Now it's just about the environmental factor, no chemicals on baby and the fun factor. I love my stash!

UVASahm 02-21-2013 01:59 PM

I think I still would have saved money if I started from the beginning as I will with this babe. You forget that those nb, size 1 and size 2 get grown out of SO fast. I had so many left over it was ridiculous.

Now though...I have 75 diapers for one child not including the nb dipes for newbie. I highly doubt I have saved money....hehe.

UVASahm 02-21-2013 01:59 PM

I think I still would have saved money if I started from the beginning as I will with this babe. You forget that those nb, size 1 and size 2 get grown out of SO fast. I had so many left over it was ridiculous.

Now though...I have 75 diapers for one child not including the nb dipes for newbie. I highly doubt I have saved money....hehe.