Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Convertible to take us to booster stage (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493830)

Ferrum 02-21-2013 02:53 PM

Convertible to take us to booster stage

Hi. Looking for recommendations for my 18m son who is on the small side (~30", 20lbs). We have used the Graco snugride 30 since birth in my 2005 Honda Element. We also have a Cosco Scenera 40 RF that we took for a flight and is currently the backup in the other vehicle (2005 Prius). While we are OK w the Scenera, he has occasionally disliked it on long trips when he was younger. Also, the straps are a major pain to adjust. I need something easier such as with the snugride as he's at the toddler stage where he hates to be restrained. I take him to daycare daily 5x a week. I'm open to extended RF but the key is something easy to install and easy to use daily. I'm thinking something that can take us to booster stage? Both parents are below 5'6", so I don't think we will need a very high weight/height limit. Something not too expensive as DH is a tightwad! Thanks.

MiaAnjuli 02-21-2013 04:48 PM

Re: Convertible to take us to booster stage

I could be wrong, but I thought the combo seats were mainly forward facing only. What is making it hard to adjust your belts? We have 2 Scenera's and have no issues with the belt. Sometimes I pull the belts behind the seat to get them snug and than pull the front cord that tightens them. It gets them just right.

MiaAnjuli 02-21-2013 04:51 PM

Sorry, I think I miss read the part about getting to a booster age. We have the True Fit Premier. My 4 year old uses it right now. But we were using it for my youngest when my oldest got to 35 lbs, and used the Scenera until he turned 4. Now my 19 month old is in the Combi Coccoro, but I don't expect that to get him to age 4. The Scenera's are in my husband's car. One rear facing and one forward facing. I am thinking the True Fit will get us to booster age. But I'm itching to get a new seat.

jjordan 02-21-2013 05:11 PM

Any convertible with at least a 35# RF weight limit and at least a 50# FF weight limit, with a top harness height of at least 17" above the seating surface, should last long enough for your ds.

If you can clarify what it is that you don't like about the scenera straps (is it that it's hard to tighten them, or hard to move them to a new height?), and be a little more specific about your budget, we can narrow that down for you. :)

Ferrum 02-21-2013 06:11 PM

With the Scenera it's tightening the straps on a daily basis. I can tighten and loosen fine on the snugride but can't on the scenera.
I'm thinking $100 range? Not sure if that is asking for too much as we are talking about a seat that would last us 4 years potentially. I know the snugride straps are looking worn after 15 months of 5x a week adjustment.

greencrunchymama 02-21-2013 06:19 PM

We have a True Fit Premier and I know a lot of people like these!

canadianbakers 02-21-2013 06:27 PM

I've heard great things about the True Fits.

Personally I love our Radian - it will definitely get Levi to booster. Assuming it fits at a newbie angle, we'll be getting another one for Hiccup too (I mean, we'll play with Levi's before ordering another!) - it'll get Hiccup from newborn to booster :thumbsup:

ETA: How come you're having to adjust the straps every time you use the scenera? Or the infant seat, for that matter?
With newbies, I do tend to loosen the straps to get baby out, then tighten when buckling them in. But once they're less... scrunched all up in a ball, I guess?! we just leave the straps adjusted for being buckled and take baby in and out - then we only have to adjust the straps for growth spurts or major weather changes (going from sweatshirts and pants to a onesie or shorts, I mean).

luvsviola 02-21-2013 06:38 PM

I love the TrueFit because it has a huge butt space, and is nice and wide. Older kids don't feel so cramped in it.

jjordan 02-21-2013 07:32 PM

$100 is going to limit your options - an Evenflo SureRide might be a good bet as far as longevity, though I don't really know how the smooth the harness adjuster is. If you can wait for a sale, the Graco MyRide and Britax (classic) Roundabout 50 (the Britax is a Target exclusive) sometimes go on sale for $100.

Like a pp, I don't tighten/loosen straps with every trip.

lilychic4 02-21-2013 09:44 PM

Safety 1st Guide 65 runs about $80. RFing to 40" or 40lbs or head even with shell (24.5" torso or about 4t shirt) and FFing to shoulder height of about 17". That should do it for you!
Dorel is the same parent group so it is similar style harness, but in my opinion it's a bit more refined than the scenera.