Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Know anything about MRSA? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494528)

Ocean4Me 02-24-2013 10:14 AM

Know anything about MRSA?

Long story short,I switched providers and hospitals from 12-24 weeks,give or take a couple..and then switched back to my original(where I had ds).The one I switched to said they saw something in my chart about MRSA and that they had started testing routinely a couple of months ago. Well,they did a nasal swab and I came back positive as a carrier.They had talked about me putting an ointment up my nose closer to delivery and possible isolation. I switched back to my original provider(not because of the MRSA thing)and she wasn't concerned..said she doesn't remember seeing that in my chart(which was from them originally),if I didn't have an active infection,she didn't see why there would be an issue,they give antibiotics before csection anyway..and that she would talk to infectious disease and see what they say.I was worried that if I had to be isolated and ds had to stay in nursery(like ds1 did),I wouldn't be able to go in there.And if I'm a carrier(which I thought a lot of people were),does that increase baby's risk??

I think I got it back in 09 when DH was dealing with a lot of infections. I got boils under my arm. I'm not sure if my OB tested it or not,but I remember talking to him about it..I don't remember ever being treated for it.He told me to do warm compresses and I believe it was alcohol he told me to clean it with and not use the same razor..and they went away. I've had numerous cuts,scratches,3 tattoos and a piercing since then..no issues.

Last week and last night,I got a little red pimple under my arm..kind of concerned about those!!I may mention them to my OB. They seem to go away the next day so not sure if it's anything to worry about.

OK,sorry for the novel..just wondering what others have to say.

birdinhand 02-24-2013 12:24 PM

Re: Know anything about MRSA?

I have had doula clients who have it in their chart they had MRSA at some point. Not so much isolation, but they require everyone that enters the room (vaginal births) to gown up with gloves and a mask, too, and when you leave you take them off -- then when you enter again, it's the same routine. Granted these were not active infections, these were, "Hey, we noticed 5 years ago you came into our hospital and were treated for a MRSA boil..." One even had herself treated and cleared, but because it was done a t a different facility, and she was birthing in the middle of the night, they still treated her as if she had active MRSA.

Realistically, and working in the healthfield, I know many people are MRSA carriers, we just don't test every single person. I don't get caught up in the gowns, and every chance I had, I took off the gloves (how comforting is it have your hair smoothed out of your face by someone with a glove on?). I just take basica universal precautions, like we are advised to do anyway.

On another note, my son developed a boil on his leg about 4 years ago. They tried to culture it but nothing grew. I was disappointed with not knowing for sure if it were MRSA. I asked if we could do further testing to find out, to which my ped advised, "I would leave it alone -- if he has that in his chart, it is liable to follow him around everywhere..." So I didn't. I wonder if your OB is thinking similarly?

poohbear1208 02-24-2013 06:24 PM

I had Mrsa years ago after my mastectomy. A round of antibiotics didn't cure it, so I ended up having to get IV antibiotics in the hospital during my reconstruction to get rid of it, and all of the medical staff had to wear gowns around me. I was also in an isolated room. Hospitals tend to take it very seriously. And I didn't have an active infection either at the time of the reconstruction- they were just super cautious anyways ;). Once I had the IV antibiotics though it cleared right up- 3 subsequent negative test results from infectious disease so they cleared me :). You should ask if you can get the IV antibiotics during delivery, so you never have to deal with it again

birdinhand 02-24-2013 07:26 PM

At our hospital they won't treat it during labor, they want it treated and cleared beforehand, so check out what the policy is where you will deliver at.

Sarawithouth 02-28-2013 07:56 PM

I had a Mrsa infection and sepsis while six months pregnant. You can pm me if you want or check my previous posts.

Sarawithouth 03-01-2013 04:49 PM

And I want to add. Many people are MRSA carriers - it thrives in our noses. Wash your hands, and be very careful about boils. They are contagious when they're open.

Your doctor should be able to give you a decolonization protocol (Bactriban and hibiclense) to follow for everyone in the household.

Ocean4Me 03-01-2013 06:00 PM

I have an appt on Monday so I will ask if she talked to infectious disease then.I haven't had any issues since that 1 time over 3 years ago.We'll see what they say.

shortcake2386 03-01-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarawithouth (Post 16349069)
And I want to add. Many people are MRSA carriers - it thrives in our noses. Wash your hands, and be very careful about boils. They are contagious when they're open.

Your doctor should be able to give you a decolonization protocol (Bactriban and hibiclense) to follow for everyone in the household.

:yeahthat: i dealt with it YEARS ago and bactriban and hibiclense finally got rid of it. it hasnt been mentioned with any of my 6 pregnancies since

Nachomama 03-02-2013 09:04 AM

DS got a MRSA infection in his umbilical stump. They just had us put an antibiotic ointment on it, do lots of handwashing and dab the ointment in all our noses before bed each night.