Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Eeek! Was this asthma!?!?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494892)

MothyrGrimm 02-25-2013 01:56 PM

DS has a virus right now, I'm guessing rsv since he's had it once before before and it seems exactly the same just more runny nose/sneezing. Anywho took him to the doc this morning and got some albuterol for his nebulizer. We came home and he fell asleep so I decided I'll do a treatment when he wakes up. After sleeping about 45 mins he suddenly woke up crying, gasping and making this awful scary noise like dragging a chair across a wood floor. He could barely breathe and his lips were turning blue. I ran into the kitchen and threw together the nebulizer in about .003 seconds since it wasn't set up yet and gave him a treatment and it seemed to stop it. You can still hear the noise a tiny bit every now and then when he takes a really deep breath but seems okay now... Seriously the scariest thing ever. I called the pedi and she said if he's okay there isn't a need to go to the er since they'll basically do the same thing. She thinks it's mostly congestion but I've never ever heard him make anything close to that sound before and now his coughs sound normal again.

DH and BIL had asthma as a little kids so I feel like he's more prone to it and several doctors have told me he will be more at risk of developing it because of having rsv previously and now again.... Any thoughts or advice? I've never seen an asthma attack before and I'm wondering if I should have him assessed for asthma now?

ETA: I also don't think it was some congestion in his throat because even after the treatment had him calmed down and breathing okay if he started crying (within the 5 mins after treatment) the noise would start again he'd be gasping a bit again.

luvsviola 02-25-2013 02:02 PM

Re: Eeek! Was this asthma!?!?!

Sounds like an attack to me. That sucks! Good luck mama!

Is he on anything for daily use?

MothyrGrimm 02-25-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16331838)
Sounds like an attack to me. That sucks! Good luck mama!

Is he on anything for daily use?

No he's not on any medicines at all until now. :/ He's never had any breathing problems before, but it's something I've been keeping an eye out for because dh had it pretty bad until he was in high school and outgrew it.

l_Kimmie_l 02-25-2013 02:06 PM

RSV causes attacks like asthma too. I would not do anything for diagnosis till he is well. They won't anyway as it interferes. I have asthma and make that noise healthy for no reason. That is when you want to bring him in.

aries416 02-25-2013 03:09 PM

My son had that and we called 911 this weekend for him. He woke up gasping and I was so sacred! It's the second time in 2 months. They diagnose him with croup. Albuterol doesn't help much on its own for him. He needs steroid shots and something else.

MothyrGrimm 02-25-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries416 (Post 16332139)
My son had that and we called 911 this weekend for him. He woke up gasping and I was so sacred! It's the second time in 2 months. They diagnose him with croup. Albuterol doesn't help much on its own for him. He needs steroid shots and something else.

Oh man I'm sorry mama that's so scary! Does it go away eventually or do you have to keep him on the shots/meds? Is he sick too?

aries416 02-25-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm (Post 16332181)
Oh man I'm sorry mama that's so scary! Does it go away eventually or do you have to keep him on the shots/meds? Is he sick too?

He has a cold, but he was not sick at all until both times he woke up from a nap or at night with this awful gasping and wheezing. Breathing treatments always help him, but albuterol on its own is not enough. We're going to the ped. tomorrow to see if there's anything else I can do at home for this at least until I can get him to the hospital. The first time it happened during the day and I took him to urgent care and THEY called 911. The second time it was worse and happened at night. They haven't had him on any other breathing treatments. He did have RSV as an infant and was on breathing treatments for a week or so then.

MothyrGrimm 02-25-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries416 (Post 16332311)

He has a cold, but he was not sick at all until both times he woke up from a nap or at night with this awful gasping and wheezing. Breathing treatments always help him, but albuterol on its own is not enough. We're going to the ped. tomorrow to see if there's anything else I can do at home for this at least until I can get him to the hospital. The first time it happened during the day and I took him to urgent care and THEY called 911. The second time it was worse and happened at night. They haven't had him on any other breathing treatments. He did have RSV as an infant and was on breathing treatments for a week or so then.

Eesh! That's rough -hugs- hopefully that isn't his problem but it does sound similar. I even tried going to urgent care yesterday but they don't take his insurance. I hope it magically goes away for you!!!

justone4me 02-25-2013 11:20 PM

:hugs: Mama!!! Sounds a lot like RSV or Croup. My 4 yr old DD still gets croup at least 2-3 times a year...which is then usually followed by pneumonia a week or two later :( It is scary when they wake up gasping & struggling to breath! We had our worst attack last year - DD was taken by ambulance to the local children's hospital. My pediatrician has recommended to either take DD into the bathroom and run the shower so to steam up the bathroom or if it's cold outside to bundle her up and take her out in the cool air. I usually try one of those first, however, 8 out of 10 times we wind up in the ER. Albuterol does nothing for DD during an initial attack...like the poster above, DD has to have either oral or IV steroids to kick it :( They are now looking at a diagnosis of asthma. Hope your little one gets to feeling better!