Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   If you didn't go into labor on your own with #1, did you with #2? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495218)

emeyer76 02-26-2013 11:57 AM

If you didn't go into labor on your own with #1, did you with #2?

With DS I had to be induced at 41+6 and he arrived exactly at 42w, after an 18 hour induction :( I was at the hospital and hooked up to pitocin at 6am and just did not progress until they broke my water around 6pm, and he didn't arrive until after midnight. Little stinker is still a mamas boy to this day and doesn't want to leave me!!! He needed to come out though - he was dangerously low on fluids and placenta was very aged :(

I can't help but think my body just doesn't know how to start labor on its own. We tried lots of walking, bouncing, stripping membranes, sex, everything short of herbs (didn't know about them at the time) and nada. So with #2 on the way in a few weeks, wondering if I have any chance of a natural labor or if I should just go ahead and schedule an induction just in case. I was diagnosed with GD at 32 weeks, so I don't think they will let me go 2 weeks over anyway, but gosh I would really prefer to avoid an induction if I could.

Has anyone been there? Just curious what your stories are :) Did anything work/not work for you to get labor started on its own?

missydawn 02-26-2013 12:00 PM

Re: If you didn't go into labor on your own with #1, did you with #2?

My water broke with ds1 but never went into labor until the started me on pitocin. Second baby came on her own all natural.

pbb119 02-26-2013 12:18 PM

I was induced at 42 wks with my #1, they broke my water, and then ended up in a c/s 13 hours later. #2 was an automatic repeat c/s b/c my practice then did not do vbacs. My #3 and #4, I went into labor on my own the day before my due date with both, and had very short, easy, uncomplicated labors! And umm, the best way to get 'em out is the same way you got 'em in ;)

Good luck, mama!

emeyer76 02-26-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbb119 (Post 16335629)
And umm, the best way to get 'em out is the same way you got 'em in ;)

:giggle: I am at work and nearly spit out my coffee (decaf) reading that!

I forgot to include that in my original post... we tried that too, as awkward and unpleasant as it was, but we gave it a good effort for a few days until I gave up on that working and declared that activity off limits... There was just nothing sexy about my ginormous 42 week belly and it hurt to move at all, much less to DTD!!

But thank you both for your encouraging stories... maybe, just maybe we can make this happen this time!! Come onnnnn baby!

missydawn 02-26-2013 12:30 PM

One thing I did was take Castro Oil. Yes I know but it worked for me. I did think four days before her due date and she was born that night.

Blessed2005 02-26-2013 12:51 PM

Induced with DS1 at 40wks 4 dys, bc dr was going out of own. DD1 came on her own unexpectedly early at 38wks 4dys, her labor was a breeze. I am currently 31wks 6dys pregnant with DS2 and hoping for a repeat birth from last time......Good vibes your way mama!

keonli 02-26-2013 12:57 PM

With my first, my OB "accidentally" broke my waters at my appt. I ended up with pitocin, and epidural, and a very long, difficult labor.

With my second, I woke up with contractions on my due date and less than 3 hours later, my DD arrived. It was so quick (the hospital was a half hour away and I had to wait for DH to get ready, drop DS off at my mom's, and then wait for a room) that there was no time for any meds.

Remember that every baby and every pregnancy is different. I was absolutely terrified that I would have a difficult time like with my first, but I trusted my body this time and everything was fine.

birdinhand 02-26-2013 04:01 PM

One thing is perception here, you didn't "not go into labor," you didn't go into labor within the timeframe your care practitioner was comfortable with. That is not to say it wasn't unwarranted to be induced, but far too many of us are walking around saying/feeling, my body didn't do it, bad baby didn't do it, we failed, etc., etc.

Mammals go into labor, it happens. Sometimes these can be blamed on dates -- many women know when they conceived and are pressured to "fit" that date the ultrasound came up with. Conversely, many women don't know their dates and the ultrasound isn't always accurate, depending on how many weeks you are when you get it (1st trimester accuracy is +/- 5 days; 2nd tri it's +/- 8 days; 3rd tri it's +/- 22 days!).

That being said, ther are times when a baby needs to come out for health reasons, just as there are times it is just a rushed process because a care practitioner doesn't want to wait around any longer. My first was an induction for no real reason other than my doctor said, "Are you ready to get this over with? Because I thik he's getting kind of big." Inducing for suspected macrosomia is not an evidence-based practice and even ACOG agrees with that. Yet for no other reason, my doctor offered induction, and I took it (I didn't know any better and I assumed since it came from my doctor's mouth, it was a medical opinion).

I was worried the second time around I would "never go into labor." I changed care providers and started seeing midwives. At one of my last appointments I said, "I think if I go over due, I am just going to stop eating." My midwife smiled and replied bac, "His HEAD is not getting any bigger." That thought just made me realize, why didn't my OB say anything like that? She just scared me into having a monster-sized baby, and no one wants a big baby.

It was so hard to be patient -- the hardest thing ever. When you are so over being pregnant and you just want that baby out of your belly and into your arms, who would say no to an induction? An innocent-sounding, no problem, induction? Not me! I was super vulnerable and I trusted my doc. It was incredible to see that labor did begin on its own, and wow, how it took me. It built up in a way I could cope with, not like crazy pitocin that just fell on me hard and strong. The whole thing was incredible in how the body and baby worked together to make it happen, and I was truly along for the ride.

So have faith, your body did not fail you. If everything is okay with you and your baby, wait it out, and if it is deemed necessary to induce, ask some questions to really shake-down the evidence and seeif it is medically-necessary and go from there.

mg5g 02-26-2013 04:09 PM

I've learned that no two labours are the same and even when you think you know everything there is to know about how your body will labour things will change :)

I went into labour on my own with all of my kids fairly early and thought I would always .. until I had to be induced at 39 and 0 because my membranes ruptured with zero contractions with baby #5.

Sarahknavy 02-26-2013 04:12 PM

My water broke with both and I didn't go into labor with either.