Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question about Flying while pregnant (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495367)

Kimmyboo 02-26-2013 06:57 PM

Question about Flying while pregnant

Is there a certain time during pregnancy that the dr advises not to fly besides the obvious really close to due date? My hubby and I are ttc and in Oct he has a work conference in CA(I'm in CT) and I'd love to go with him as i have family there.

3 ladybugs 02-26-2013 07:13 PM

Re: Question about Flying while pregnant

Are you ttc on your own or with help? If it is with help, you need to be careful you don't have twins (or higher) because the rules change then. For a singleton, normal pregnancy, then I think you can go to 30 weeks safely... at least that is what I remember from what cruises allow you to do. Why I looked that up is beyond me but that is what I remember.

Good luck! I hope you have fun in CA!

Kimmyboo 02-26-2013 07:20 PM

We are trying on our own. :)

Art mama 02-26-2013 07:30 PM

I flew at 32 weeks. I think 34 weeks was my doctors rule.

pagodagirl 02-26-2013 08:15 PM

Each airline is slightly different but for most domestic flights it's 36 weeks and most international flights it's 30-32.
Cruises are often much earlier (viability often) since you would be there for a prolonged period and they provide health care and if something happened you would need to be airlifted off rather than just landing the plane.

bai18176 02-26-2013 08:35 PM

I was allowed to fly to the Caribbean at 34 weeks, but that was a few years ago. It was the latest they would let me fly.

nettepoet 02-26-2013 08:48 PM

im going to paris during my 29th/30th week and the airline we are flying requires i have a note from my care provider stating my due date and that i have clearance to fly. with a note, there are no restrictions up to 36 weeks for a singleton, 32 weeks for twins.

if you are concerned about cosmic radiation from the flight, earlier (as in the first 6-8 weeks) is better and domestic is better than international (due to altitude).

we had our non-refundable tickets to paris well before i got pregnant (by accident!!), and i made the decision to go ahead and fly even though the radiation the babe will be exposed to in total can be likened to a chest x-ray. :/ im going to do epsom salt baths and hope that everything turns out ok...i know a lot of people fly while pregnant but it wouldnt be my choice if we had planned!

Kimmyboo 02-26-2013 08:58 PM

Is it the radiation that drs are worried about? Besides early labor

mommyshanti 02-27-2013 08:23 AM

yes check airlines as they do say you need to have docs note after certain point. I flew and had note ready from mw but no one ever asked but the flight attendants were very nice:)

Leiiki 02-28-2013 03:17 AM

Just be aware of the various risks and inconveniences:

Increased risk of blood clots
Increased likelihood of airsickness
Possible radiation risk
Awkward airplane bathrooms
Narrow airplane aisles

I was on a flight with two other heavily pregnant women and trying to pass each other in the aisle involved a lot of contortions and shoving various body parts into the faces of other passengers.