Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Have you ever severely injured yourself while crafting? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495562)

jessreichenbach 02-27-2013 12:07 PM

Have you ever severely injured yourself while crafting?

I have a Snap press that's powered by an air compressor. I step on a pedal and it does down, i lift my foot off the pedal, it lifts back up. simple enough. Well 2 weeks ago I was applying snaps on a diaper, my mind was on a birthday party that night, and i stepped on the pedal before my finger was out of the way. OUCH! I almost lost half of my index finger. Luckily the doctors were able to save it and sew it back on. a few days later I was back at trying to sew and get things made for my shop (Customers first right?! lol!) It just got me wondering if anyone else had ever gotten really hurt while crafting their craft? I just put some snaps on again using the press for the first time since the accident. I was a shaky, nauseaous, nervous wreck. Wasn't sure if i could do it... I stared at the stupid press for a while and seriously considreed hauling out my old faithful pliers!! If you've gotten hurt doing something you love how long did it take you to be comfortable doing it again?

rumblepurr 02-27-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Have you ever severely injured yourself while crafting?

:hugs: How scary! I would be shaky to after something like that!

As far as seriously injuring myself - like needing to reattaching a finger? No, (knock on wood...) only minor things like, sewing over my finger or jamming a knuckle. My Grandma used to say a project wasn't finished unless you bleed on it LOL!

I was in a car accident once (where I didn't see it coming), and I had a hard time getting back behind the wheel, all shaky and nervous. It took me a little while to get over it, I think about a month with infrequent driving. Details are a little foggy, since it happened 15 years ago ;). In my other accident, I saw it coming, and I think that made all the difference since I didn't have a problem getting behind the wheel after that one.

:bighug: I hope your finger gets better quick!!

jerri 02-27-2013 09:56 PM

That sounds super scary. I'm glad you are doing better and kudos for getting back to snapping after just a few days! I would have wimped out and used the pliers.

tiny1281 02-27-2013 10:56 PM

I injured my self with an exacto knife yesterday. While I was sewing my mama cloth, my bobbin thread got stuck, so the only way I could get it out was to use my exacto knife and cut the thread. Well, I set the exacto knife down to rewind my bobbin and somehow the pointy part of the knife landed on my thigh and left a hole in my leg, it stung for a good 30 minutes. I was wearing shorts, will wear pants next time I sew.

neuro_mom 02-27-2013 11:08 PM

Ouch! Haven't ever done anything that serious - the occasional burn w/ the glue gun but that's about it. Glad that the doc was able to save your finger!

Resellmybelle 02-27-2013 11:21 PM

Ooh, this thread is as bad as the one last week where the mama stepped on a needle. These threads make me queasy and I can only read a couple in b4 I have to stop.

Sorry you got hurt and hope you heal up just fine, that sounded awful!

And, no thankfully, I cannot recall actually injuring myself, but years back and one too many egg nogs I almost sewed over my finger customizing towels for Chistmas gifts. At least I wasn't so far gone to realize it was time to stop sewing....

Hi-Dog 02-27-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neuro_mom
Ouch! Haven't ever done anything that serious - the occasional burn w/ the glue gun but that's about it. Glad that the doc was able to save your finger!

I also have some glue gun battle scars! I've jabbed myself pretty hard with my knitting needles and bruised myself, but never had crafting land me in the hospital. Glad you are ok and they saved your finger!! You are a hardcore crafty mama!!

shortcake2386 02-28-2013 12:40 AM

omygoodness:cry: thats awful. no after reading that id have to say no, nothing like that. ive slices my fingers with the rotary cutter, sewn through my finger with a sewing machine needle once and thats about it.

Honeybee1999 02-28-2013 11:10 AM

Ack! I'm sorry you got hurt! The worst I've gotten from crafting has been a paper cut from a pattern lol.

However, I understand that fear that stops you from doing something you love. I ride horses and have witnessed some pretty terrible wrecks that have actually caused fear for myself when riding. It takes a lot to push through that. Positive visualization helps a lot.

nicolemariep 02-28-2013 03:46 PM

I've cut myself pretty severely with a rotary cutter. I also sewed through my finger (the needle broke off into my thumb), but I was on some pretty heavy duty painkillers when I did that. The bottle said no heavy machinery, but I was like, "okay, the sewing machine only weighs like 12 pounds. It'll be fine." Clearly this was my logic after the pain pills had already kicked in. Oops. It was interesting trying to explain my logic to the doctor. On the plus side, I already had painkillers in my system. :giggle: