Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Am I ALREADY getting depressed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496085)

marenmccoy 02-28-2013 06:59 PM

Am I ALREADY getting depressed?

My first was a high needs baby and we ran into issues with feeding, etc. I wound up with some PPD issues. I'm kinda predisposed to depression anyway, I think.

SO, I'm due to have my second in April and I'm already starting to worry to the point that it is making me sad. I'm trying really hard not to, but if it is anything like last time I'm so afraid of how I'll handle it. :(

Kind words? Advice? I'm planning to encapsulate my placenta, and I'm trying to do a better job of having my support system in place this time around, but I also tend to push people away when I'm struggling emotionally.

EmilytheStrange 02-28-2013 08:38 PM

Re: Am I ALREADY getting depressed?

I'm with you - I had a rough time. I'm also getting my placenta encapsulated this time and I've heard it's really supposed to help.

beyond that, I think you just have to try to relax. Because there's nothing you can do. Pray if you pray, believe in the best. We all know if you expect the worst, you'll find the worst.. so don't let yourself even look for it. Remember that every baby is different.

I find myself in little panic situations from time to time about trying to parent a 2yo and a newborn (by the way, our children are pretty much the same ages!) and doing a good job at it. I have to give myself some slack - it's going to be tough, but we'll do it. I'll have to make concessions here and there, but I have to remember which things are the important things and which things are trivial enough to let go.

I hope that helps! It will be okay!

birdinhand 02-28-2013 08:41 PM

Depression and mood disorders are actually more common during pregnancy than in the postpartum period, but we don't hear about that. Often a woman gets a mood disorder while pregnant that goes undiagnosed, then she has a baby and gets dx'd with "postpartum" whatever, anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. So, it would be part and parcel for being pregnant and having the hormonal issues, plus prior history, and any other factors that come into play.

Let your practitioner know you are having some issues and see what he/she says. That's great you are going to encapsulate your placenta. I would encourage you to reach out to your support people now, because when you hit your low, you don't have the energy/strength/wherewithall to seek out support, or to even know what you need in that moment.

Wishing you peace and calm. Remember, every baby is different. And the huge bonus of having experienced a mood disorder before is, you can recognize it, like a scent you smelled 20 years ago, a lot faster than someone who has no experience -- so you can saym I know what this is, I don't want to go there again, I am going to get help now instead of waiting for it to get better, go away, etc.

MommaLEB 03-01-2013 05:51 AM

I strongly suggest finding someone to talk to now. I've been very depressed during this pregnancy and met with a therapist a few weeks ago. I'm already on so many meds because of the HG that meds were not an option I was willing to look at. She had some great ideas, though, about how to sort out my feelings and some little exercises I could do to help me deal with the bad ones and connect more with my pregnancy. Good luck!