Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Name help please!! DH can't pronounce the name I love. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496110)

eistrach 02-28-2013 08:22 PM

Name help please!! DH can't pronounce the name I love.

I'm so bummed. I love the name Kira Brooke for our baby girl, but DH just cannot pronounce it even though he tries. He says "Kara" which I don't like and I know it will annoy me endlessly to hear him say it that way. I'm having the hardest time coming up with other pretty names that I like. Any suggestions??? I was really set on this name.

Dory 02-28-2013 08:24 PM

I'm not any help because we both just knew when we had the right name, Kwim?

But I had to giggle. My daughter's name is Cara (pronounced the same), and yet my MIL always says it nasally, which turns it into Kira!

I really do like Natalie/Nathalie, but it's too similar to my son's name, so I don't think my husband likes it.

eistrach 02-28-2013 08:39 PM

Re: Name help please!! DH can't pronounce the name I love.

Dory, I actually don't dislike the name Kara (or Cara). I think it's pretty, but I know I girl with that name that makes it a bad association for me.

What you said is exactly why I'm having such a hard time! When I thought of the name Kira Brooke, I knew it was the one and DH read it (to himself) on my list and liked it. Just yesterday, he said it out loud and I realized he can't pronounce it! I've tried and tried saying words that are similar to the beginning sound and he just can't get it.

canadianbakers 02-28-2013 09:01 PM

:headscratch: Are you pronouncing it "key-rah"? That's how I see/say it. Not sure how he gets "care-ah" out of the 'i' :)

eistrach 02-28-2013 09:19 PM

Yes I pronounce it "Key-rah". I didn't think it was difficult either, but he just cannot get it!

Dory 02-28-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eistrach
Dory, I actually don't dislike the name Kara (or Cara). I think it's pretty, but I know I girl with that name that makes it a bad association for me.

What you said is exactly why I'm having such a hard time! When I thought of the name Kira Brooke, I knew it was the one and DH read it (to himself) on my list and liked it. Just yesterday, he said it out loud and I realized he can't pronounce it! I've tried and tried saying words that are similar to the beginning sound and he just can't get it.

Oh I like the name Kira! It's just not hers, lol. So I totally get what you're saying, just funny that its the opposite.

Mom2Connor 03-01-2013 04:06 AM

Add me to the camp of not understanding why he can't say it.

Have you written it out for him like you did here? Can he not say the word "key?" this would tick me off honestly if mh DH said that, unless he has a speech problem otherwise!

aaiya 03-01-2013 04:38 AM

Hmm...maybe try writing it out (or telling it to him) a different way. Seeing it written Key-rah made it hard for me to even say it.

I'd say something like, "Keer (rhymes with beer or deer) + uh (rhymes with duh). You could also see if you could find some youtube clips of Startrek Deep Space Nine...there's a character named Major Kira.

(LOVE that name, BTW...it's on our list but I don't think it goes with our last name very well).

RunawayBunny 03-01-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaiya (Post 16346609)
Hmm...maybe try writing it out (or telling it to him) a different way. Seeing it written Key-rah made it hard for me to even say it.

I'd say something like, "Keer (rhymes with beer or deer) + uh (rhymes with duh). You could also see if you could find some youtube clips of Startrek Deep Space Nine...there's a character named Major Kira.

(LOVE that name, BTW...it's on our list but I don't think it goes with our last name very well).

That's what I was going to say. I love the name Kira (and we are big star trek fans). It was on our girls short list!

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and another on the way (Apr 2013)!

eistrach 03-01-2013 08:45 AM

"Keer-uh" is a good idea. I will try that written and spoken! I have already tried "near" and "beer" but he even pronounces that more like "bare." I think it may be the dialect in this town.