Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Carrier Clueless - good place to start? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496947)

carriecook'n'sew 03-04-2013 01:51 AM

Carrier Clueless - good place to start?

My little guy just turned one but he's 5th percentile and 18.5 lbs.

I own a gorgeous etsy ring sling but really haven't used it since summer. I tend to pop him into grocery cart or stroller but hes gotten to be a real pill about it. So I'm thinking of looking into a more toddler friendly carrier that even dh could use.

mophie40 03-04-2013 12:09 PM

Re: Carrier Clueless - good place to start?

Maybe look into the ergo. Your dh could use it as well and it is great for kids as they grow. I have also heard great things about the beco and kinderpack (I think it is called that). I have the ktan right now but my LO is only 14lbs. I plan to get the ergo next since there are extenders which would make it possible for DH to wear.

saturn 03-04-2013 12:29 PM

What don't you like about the ring sling? It would help if you could explain more about what you are looking for in a carrier. When you say toddler-friendly, do you mean more comfortable with a heavier baby, or quicker to get in and out, or puts baby in a position to see more?

carriecook'n'sew 03-04-2013 01:29 PM

Hmmm good questions. I'm really just familiar with what works well on older babies toddlers vs newborns. My husband doesn't like the sling... I don't mind it. I'd like something he can use too. Getting in and out of easy sounds important and of course something Silas would like. He does always want to see forward....

saturn 03-04-2013 04:04 PM

Well, some daddies feel most comfortable with soft structured carriers because they have buckles and straps and so are perceived to be more "manly" than ring slings and wraps.
Ergos are a type of soft structured carrier, they are pretty popular and easy to find. We have one and my husband uses it a lot. There are lots of other brands of SSCs to consider as well: Boba, Beco, Angelpack, Kinderpack, Action Baby Carrier, etc...

Another carrier to consider would be a mei tai. A mei tai is sort of similar to a SSC, only it doesn't have buckles; you tie the straps instead. Since the straps don't have to be adjusted for each user, it's easier for going back and forth between differently-sized users. It looks enough like a SSC that your husband might be okay with it. Plus, you have a little bit more flexibility as far as carries go (Kozy Carrier's website shows the different carries: http://kozycarrier.homestead.com/instructions.html). Babyhawk is another popular brand of mei tai.
Hope this helps!

carriecook'n'sew 03-05-2013 08:57 AM

Excellent info will scope them out than start hunting on fsot. Hoping someone might want to barter a fancy wool set or something lol

chickeedoodle 03-05-2013 09:05 AM

We've primarily used a Mei Tai. (Kozy brand) if you or DH are really tall, they will make the straps extra long. (We have those so it fits DH well, but it makes extra long straps for me to contend with, since I'm a foot shorter than him). I tried Ergo when DD was a baby and she preferred Mei Tai. I have a Beco I'm borrowing right now - to try for easy back carrying, but so far DD isn't liking it. My DH carried DS on his back at 2.5 years old on the Mei Tai. Very versatile. :)

carriecook'n'sew 03-05-2013 11:48 AM

So most likely I'd be thinking back carry right?

graceworks 03-05-2013 01:54 PM

I have a 9 month old about the size of your LO and I find that its much easier having her on my back in the store now that she's big. She can see better and its nice to have my front free. I was intimidated by back carries when out and about so I got the Beco Butterfly and it makes back carries SO easy. I literally just put her on like a back pack, since there is an internal harness she can't slip out. If you are new to back carries it might be nice to have. However, if you're comfortable with the idea of putting him on your back in a mei tai out in public than I think Mei Tais have the advantage of being a bit more comfortable.

That being said the ring sling is much better for quick trips or to pop her in at home to and from the car and at church, etc.

I think the combo of either a Mei Tai or SSC plus the ring sling you already have will get you through any situation :)

carriecook'n'sew 03-05-2013 04:05 PM

Excellent. Friends gave me links to how to make a Mei Tei! I have a little bit of fabric around (ha ha ha) I can probably PUL that off for free!!!