Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   How long after water breaks... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496997)

Christylkeller 03-04-2013 09:41 AM

How long after water breaks...

How long after your water broke did you wait to go to the hospital IF you weren't having contractions? My water broke about 5 hours ago and still not much going on in the contraction dept. I put a call into my Dr, but haven't heard back. My goal is to stay out of the hospital for as long as possible, but I am trying to gauge how long it has taken others to get into a contracting pattern.

BrownCowMama 03-04-2013 09:45 AM

I think it was 12 hours after my water broke that my midwife started antibiotics. Wasn't until 17 hrs after that I finally started contractions. But congrats!!!! It's baby time for you!!!! :D

mommyshanti 03-04-2013 10:07 AM

Re: How long after water breaks...

why would a mw start antibiotics did you have a fever or something??? my water broke a lil early with my last 2. I'd say I started feeling cntx w/n 12 hours. I def. would not want to be on the hossy clock for that and wouldn't tell them when my water broke lol. others have gone days after water broke and baby and mom have been just fine:)

mommyshanti 03-04-2013 10:10 AM

also if you are busy and walking around you might miss them. i would say take some time every hour to sit down and see if you are feeling some light spaced out ones and start getting in that birth space:) I like my water breaking before and not after because it gave me time to clean up the house,bake, and get ready for the big day:)
congrats baby will be here soon:)

s@hmommy 03-04-2013 10:11 AM

5-6 hours. She was my first and I was terrified but didn't want dh to leave work early in case I was wrong. This one, my third, I will wait until labor starts or 24 hours, whichever comes first. My ob oked this plan and it makes me feel more in control.

Sarahknavy 03-04-2013 10:30 AM

My first i waited 4 days cause i wasnt sure. ended with a csection after a failed induction. my second, Mine broke at 2 am and I went back to sleep woke up and packed then got to the hospital around 2 pm.

I think it's normal to start antibiotics after 18 hours of labor. I had a few rounds. I never went into labor on my own with either.

Christylkeller 03-04-2013 10:32 AM

Contractions are starting to pick up some, but nothing painful or regular (at least that I can tell... not timing them). I am pretty irritable and everything is driving me NUTS!! Debating on whether to take a nap or go for a walk.

OnAnnaTime 03-04-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christylkeller
Contractions are starting to pick up some, but nothing painful or regular (at least that I can tell... not timing them). I am pretty irritable and everything is driving me NUTS!! Debating on whether to take a nap or go for a walk.

I vote nap, then walk! My last labor, water broke at 8am and ctx didn't start until about 9pm with a dose of castor oil (ick). I have very fond memories of taking a nap with my oldest. I didn't end up back at the birth center until 11pm and baby was born next morning a little after 2.

mama_to_DJM 03-04-2013 02:55 PM

I never had my water break before labor started, but my sister recently did. Her water broke at 11 pm (no cx yet), she went into the hospital around 5 or 6 am, and babe was born around noon. :) Good luck!!

Christylkeller 03-04-2013 07:28 PM

Well, so far nothing... I went in for an NST which showed a great looking baby and 1 whole contraction in that 20 mins. She sent me on my way with a labor cocktail recipe and the understanding that if she didn't hear from me over night that labor had started, then I would be at the hospital mid morning for a RCS... So, here is to hoping that the cocktail gets things moving. And at the very least, I will have a baby tomorrow!!