Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Anybody using Coconut Oil? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497013)

Erin0183 03-04-2013 10:28 AM

Anybody using Coconut Oil?

Does anybody use coconut oil for things other than baking??? I keep hearing about all the great uses, and I wondered about others experiences...

Diaper rash cream, moisturizer, personal lubricant, deodorant, etc.

doulamomma 03-04-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin0183 (Post 16357261)
Does anybody use coconut oil for things other than baking??? I keep hearing about all the great uses, and I wondered about others experiences...

Yes to all the above:) love it

Sent from my droid

poohbear1208 03-04-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin0183

We actually haven't tried it for cooking, but we use it as a diaper cream (works fabulous), a lotion for baby, a lotion for my pregnant belly, hubby uses it for his eczema....... Does it work well for cooking or baking?

Erin0183 03-04-2013 10:49 AM

Re: Anybody using Coconut Oil?

I've just started using it for baking. You can replace oil by heating it up over low heat
or butter in its semi solid form. Seems to work well so far. It's supposed to help with cholesterol, thyroid and weight problems, digestion, etc. and apparently it's supposed to help the body resist viruses, bacteria and yeast. I figure, hey it can't hurt!

poohbear1208 03-04-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin0183
I've just started using it for baking. You can replace oil by heating it up over low heat
or butter in its semi solid form. Seems to work well so far. It's supposed to help with cholesterol, thyroid and weight problems, digestion, etc. and apparently it's supposed to help the body resist viruses, bacteria and yeast. I figure, hey it can't hurt!

I will have to try that!

kts1120 03-04-2013 11:20 AM

For those of you that use it as diaper cream and lotion, what do you do to it? Mine is completely solidified.

poohbear1208 03-04-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kts1120
For those of you that use it as diaper cream and lotion, what do you do to it? Mine is completely solidified.

It melts with any kind of heat/ warmth, so simply scooping out a tiny amount with your finger will melt it. You can also use a baby spoon to scoop it, and when using it as a diaper cream it literally melts on contact with babies skin. Same goes for using it as a lotion- put some in your palm and it will immediately melt

debcita429 03-04-2013 11:53 AM

One tip I've found re: using it as a lotion is to have a dedicated silicone ice cube tray in which you pour melted coconut oil with a little essential oil mixed in (optional), and then pop them out into a jar kept below 70 degrees. It's still more awkward than lotion to apply and takes a while to sink in.

That said, I've found I really don't like coconut oil by itself as a lotion. Next time I'm going to mix it with cocoa butter.

I do use it as the base for a natural deodorant, but I have such an underarm issue that I use about 3x as many odor killers as I do coconut oil. C.O. by itself would only work for someone who rarely sweats or smells.

I've also made a diaper rash cream for my friends w/ C.O. as a base. For non rash days it seems a lot of parents find plain C.O. just fine. For that purpose, I would recommend my above ice tray suggestion. It melts on contact well.

poohbear1208 03-04-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcita429
One tip I've found re: using it as a lotion is to have a dedicated silicone ice cube tray in which you pour melted coconut oil with a little essential oil mixed in (optional), and then pop them out into a jar kept below 70 degrees. It's still more awkward than lotion to apply and takes a while to sink in.

That said, I've found I really don't like coconut oil by itself as a lotion. Next time I'm going to mix it with cocoa butter.

I do use it as the base for a natural deodorant, but I have such an underarm issue that I use about 3x as many odor killers as I do coconut oil. C.O. by itself would only work for someone who rarely sweats or smells.

I've also made a diaper rash cream for my friends w/ C.O. as a base. For non rash days it seems a lot of parents find plain C.O. just fine. For that purpose, I would recommend my above ice tray suggestion. It melts on contact well.

The ice cube tray is an excellent idea!

I use the CO for non rash and small rash days, but for more intense rashes I use CJ's butter. That stuff is fabulous. However, with cloth diapers rashes are rare I have found, so we don't have to resort to that too often. Mainly just when DD has a tummy bug ;)

love4liam 03-04-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kts1120 (Post 16357527)

I love coconut oil for baby's bottom. I just smear some on a cloth wipe with a butter knife. my cloth wipes are in a warmer so it melts right in. Other times I run a wipe in warm water and then smear, that works too. But as mention it does melt on contact with your hand.